Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  186
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Thankful for this forum - now riddle me this.

This forum has helped me out a ton. I’m still a horrendous fly fisherman but I’m enjoying the process. I’m thankful for everyone here that has helped out personally or posting information I found helpful. So my question is - what is one thing you wish you knew when you first started fly fishing? It can be about anything - flies, gear, presentation, fish, etc.

Mine is probably just knowing that this is probably more frustrating than learning to golf. For such a “simple” thing there is so much complexity. I wish I knew that it was going to take more time than I probably wanted to admit to learn and get better. Learn to love the process and don’t get so caught up in catching fish all the time and just enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by LimerickShaw; 11-29-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Default Re: Thankful for this forum - now riddle me this.

Quote Originally Posted by LimerickShaw View Post
    So my question is - what is one thing you wish you knew when you first started fly fishing? It can be about anything - flies, gear, presentation, fish, etc.

All about Mending line:

1. When, where, and how to mend - both in the air and on the water.

2. How mending varies for the various fishings styes, for example dries, nymphs, streamers, wet flies.

Case in point - some fly fishers never get beyond the reach mend.

I wonder how many know about the hump mend? I can hear the google machine heating up right about now.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

One word, presentation. Fishing, whatever kind and once one knows target fish are present, is about presentation. Everything, dry, wet, streamer, saltwater, still-water, moving water, relates to making quality presentations.
    Presentations made
    Sighted fish, structure and sign
    Eats, but never blind

How to nymph fish. I was pretty much a dry fly only angler for almost 20 years before someone showed me how to rig up and properly present a nymph with both an indicator and by high sticking. This opened up a whole new world. It was a random event as I only fished with him once....but he showed me a lot that day.

I highly suggest for beginners starting out.....to learn how to rig and present nymphs and streamers.

I also suggest you learn your knots (arbor, triple surgeons, bimini twist, nail, blood, perfection loop, improved clinch, lefty's no slip loop knot, et al). This was another weak point for me for quite a while.

ďIf I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.Ē
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

Stealth means a lot more than we think it does- how you move and place yourself should occupy your thoughts. Think like a predator.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I started fly fishing when I was just a kid.
    I was easily distracted and probably spent more time wandering around in the woods or playing in the water than I did fishing.
    My father used to tell me, "You can't catch a fish if your fly's not in the water"
    Yeah okay dad.
    I distinctly remember walking along the stream bank one day, dragging my fly along in the river.
    "Okay dad, the fly is in the water".
    Bam !
    What do you know ? Dad's right again !
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.Ē --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

I never really 'got it' until I separated learning from fishing.

Most of us myself included were fishing since we were children and when we got that first fly rod we thought it was just a continuation of fishing or more of the same. With that mindset we took the fly rod and went to the streams expecting that we would catch fish. Some of us probably put ourselves under stress because things weren't working out as we thought they may. The stress only heightened the desire to get better at fly fishing, however there was a problem. Many equate getting better with catching fish.

"Many equate getting better with catching fish" think about that a moment. If you go where the state just emptied a stocking truck into a pool beside a bridge you may very well catch fish but did you get better?

I believe that if everyone who wants to "get better" could separate catching and pursuit from learning they would experience much faster results in the learning part of fly fishing. I found a quite place with water and clear casting lanes to the rear so I could practice all the things that I read from Tom McNally's book Fly Fishing. Every cast - all the mending - everything you could take from the theory laid out in the book and its drawings and applied it to practical experience in the field. No worries about catching fish, no buddies chiding me about who caught the most, pure learning, and when I returned to real trout water after nearly 2 1/2 months of book and lab learning I caught fish on day one.

That's as plain and simple as I can say it. Want to be a Dentist? You don't just buy some dental tools and get to it do you? Want to be an electrician? You don't just open up a breaker box / service and get to it do you? No you don't, in almost every field of practice that requires some level of expertise you do both classroom study and laboratory work in a controlled environment. Why people at large think that something as admittedly complex as fly fishing can be learned to an accomplished level by watching some you tube then going out fishing I can't understand. I did my time over 42 years ago and only after struggling for 10 early years as a complete clod with the rod and line did I actually apply myself to learning.

The sooner one faces the fact that they should dedicate themselves to learning the sooner they may realize a drastic change in their results. That would be the one thing I wished I had known and had the patience to pursue in 1968.

Happy Thanksgiving
    Last edited by Ard; 11-28-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Take your time and enjoy yourself. I lost more flies to bad knots when I started than to anything else because I was in too big a hurry.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Things really clicked for me when I learned to fish from the fish back, instead of me to the fish.

Fish hold in the water column, currents around the fish, fly, leader, line, rod to reel. This the pot calling the kettle black haha but rod and reel are the least important part of the equation. Iím a custom home builder that uses and appreciate fine tools, so fussing with my fly fishing tools is part of the fun to me....but at the end of the day it really doesnít help me catch fish :- )

......I know some really successful locals, cagey fly fishers, that use gear that wouldnít even make Ďentry levelí around here and really arenít very good technical casters that canít tell you what their line is because itís 10 years old haha......but Iíve watched them pull absolutely awesome fish out of pressured water. True, big wild Brown mechanics.

......so I would say donít confuse buying expensive and specialized gear with being a successful angler....let your angling drive your gear. Youíll know when that $150 combo is holding you back.

Quote Originally Posted by LimerickShaw View Post
    So my question is - what is one thing you wish you knew when you first started fly fishing? It can be about anything - flies, gear, presentation, fish, etc.
    Holy $$$$! Are you serious??? But yeah, itís probably been worth the money.

I wouldíve saved myself a lot of grief and poorly spent funds if I had just bit the bullet and bought good stuff at the start. Really cheap spinning tackle sucks, too. Donít get me onto acoustic guitars, Iím no different there.

Itís probably the hardest thing to do, especially if one doesnít know whether theyíre going to like it or not. Does make it easier to learn and succeed though. I hear golf and tennis are the same way and itís probably true at least to some extent though Iíve never been one to indulge in such foolery. I will fish ponds in aforementioned territories if allowed, itís the one thing the golf and tennis community is actually good for.

11. Likes hairwing530, LimerickShaw, canehunter liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast