Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  36
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default Re: Best way to clean a grip?

Quote Originally Posted by partsman View Post
    Thanks for the video, these make me feel more confident in going forward with this. I know a lot folks say just live with it, its a fishing rod, but I spent a lot money on my rods and I want things to look nice.
    Mike
    When you come to selling the rod it will be easier to sell if it clean vs grubby handle.

2. Likes jdwy, mcnerney liked this post

Default Re: Best way to clean a grip?

Quote Originally Posted by ddb View Post
    It depends on the quality and age of the cork.

Old cork also deteriorates unevenly. Hard growth rings are spaced between softer material that can more easily be removed thus leaving ridges in the grip. Go carefully here too.

ddb
    This has been my experience with my older rods and a 'magic eraser'. The pads do a thorough cleaning job and I've never seen actual cork particles on the grey, dirty surface after use but ....
    I can feel a difference in the handle afterwards - it's very, very slightly ridged, just as ddb says. I guess a light going over with fine W&D will finish it nicely but there's going to be a little bit more cork loss each time it's done.
    I'll try toothpaste next time.

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Clorox wipes have always worked for me when cleaning grips.

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I lost part of my original post. Here it is.

Cheaper cork has lots of fillers and the use of brushes and agressive media can dislodge some of them. Hot soapy water on a soft rag is best here.

ddb

8. Likes ts47 liked this post
  9. Default Re: Best way to clean a grip?

Cork since I assemble my rods and thus know the quality of my cork when I used cork now I use Winn Grips and that's just soap/water but they have a OEM tacky surface but for my cork I use 50/50 mix of lacquer thinner and acetone wipe on wipe off I do not let it soak in or linger wet on the cork surface but it will remove water based filler commonly used ...as for well used four piece salt rods when cork becomes bad suitable for replacement ...no guides on the butt section so cut the old cork off and install Winn Grip or Carbon fiber grip...as for the esoteric, fresh trout rod, the Billy Baroo, the same but use cork which will require lots of looking for fine pre-shapped cork that really looks good but upon closer examination many labeled top of the line, have filler fine sanded to look nearly perfect. BTW grip/handle cork grading is neither a uniform standard nor within a given definition a uniform standard.

Quote Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
    ..... as for the esoteric, fresh trout rod, the Billy Baroo, the same .....
    Hi, can someone explain ''the Billy Baroo'' to a non-native? It's not an expression I'm familiar with but, by coincidence, I bought a Biscayne Rod Mfg 'Billy Baroo' only this week. I'm still trying to understand the name in a fishing context.
    Thanks.

The only downside to toothpaste, softscrub, ultrafine sandpapper etc is that if you are selling and I am buying I will be unimpressed (may not pay as much); anytime I contemplate buying a used item I'd rather see it in an uncleaned state, because a good detailing job looks like a coverup of abuse.
    Not really worried about that because the rod itself looks like it's never been used. It's only seen water maybe 3 times. In the good old WY wind I always use a faster rod. I use it at home lawn (gravel) casting when checking out different lines, etc. Can't see selling it without cleaning up the normal sweat stain on the grip.
    When you come to selling the rod it will be easier to sell if it clean vs grubby handle.
    Yeppers, and thanks again for all the suggestions.

12. Default Re: Best way to clean a grip?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Chessman View Post
    Hi, can someone explain ''the Billy Baroo'' to a non-native? It's not an expression I'm familiar with but, by coincidence, I bought a Biscayne Rod Mfg 'Billy Baroo' only this week. I'm still trying to understand the name in a fishing context.
    Thanks.
    LC The term originated in a uniquely American comedic/satiric movie "Caddyshack" IMHO Caddyshack is an equal to Monty P's but more direct if not burlesque great satire. I would suggest you rent it and watch

Quote Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
    LC The term originated in a uniquely American comedic/satiric movie "Caddyshack" IMHO Caddyshack is an equal to Monty P's but more direct if not burlesque great satire. I would suggest you rent it and watch
    Thanks, bonefish41. I have seen the movie but maybe 30 years ago and mainly remember the gopher subplot, but the 'Billy Baroo' reference hasn't made the same impact in the UK.
    It's funny how some things do find a resonance and get embraced by the common tongue. There's a UK sit-com called 'Only Fools & Horses' with an idiot character called 'Trigger'. Trigger's had the same broom for twenty years. Sure, it's had five new heads and six new handles ..... but it's still the same brush to Trigger.
    I actually heard an archaeologist referring to C10th Icelandic wooden dwellings as being 'Trigger's broom houses' as they've been repatched to the Nth degrees over the past millennia.
    Cheers.

Arrow Re: Best way to clean a grip?

Quote Originally Posted by mtboiler View Post
    Real men would use the toothbrush to clean the grip than brush their teeth!!
    .. or use the wife's.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you frustrate him for a lifetime.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast