Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  44
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Removing barbs from hooks, What is your technique?

Quote Originally Posted by AzTrouter View Post
    At this point I donít understand the barb thing anyway, Iím not sure Iíve ever lost a fish to lack of barb, even on big head shaking tailwater trout. Barbless sure makes it easier for me release fish and unstick flies from truck seats, me, wool shirts, vest etc etc
    I read many moons ago that the barb was a requirement of the manufacturing process, it holds the wire end while the hook is bent to shape. That may have been used to explain the extra cost of barbless hooks, and the higher cost of barbless may be why the commercial tying factories still use barbed.

Getting them unstuck from me is reason enough to go barbless, but I believe they also require less force to set and are less prone to tear out; that barb is a saw when the fish fights hard.

2. Likes MCHammer, AzTrouter liked this post

I picked up a pair of spring loaded barb crushing pliers, smooth jaws, do a great job.

4. Default Re: Removing barbs from hooks, What is your technique?

Quote Originally Posted by jzim View Post
    I'm surprised more commercial fly tiers don't use barbless hooks. Fishing barbless is so prevalent and the statement the tiers would make by using barbless would be huge.
    i think there's still a big contingent of people who think barbless hooks negatively effect catch rates, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary.

on average, they're more expensive than their barbed counterparts which would cut into an already slim margin or cause a price increase

droppers slip off of them much easier than barbed or even hook with a mashed barb.
    "There's only one thing wrong with a fishing day--its staggering brevity.Ē Ė Zane Grey

5. Default Re: Removing barbs from hooks, What is your technique?

Quote Originally Posted by pheldozer View Post
    i think there's still a big contingent of people who think barbless hooks negatively effect catch rates, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary.

on average, they're more expensive than their barbed counterparts which would cut into an already slim margin or cause a price increase

droppers slip off of them much easier than barbed or even hook with a mashed barb.
    I had the same question. Why can't i buy barbless flies at any shop, since we all crimp them down anyway? The responses make sense to me. Though I don't believe droppers slip off that much easier. I don't understand hook manufacturing, but if it's a concern then put a small bump where the crimped barb would be.

6. Likes tcorfey liked this post
    Blog Entries

Crush with smooth jawed needle nose pliers most often. For the Juan, I tie on barbless or dremel/file down; just have seen too many guys get a ticket for a "bump" as floss can catch on anything. Lol

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

8. Likes tcorfey liked this post
  9. Default Re: Removing barbs from hooks, What is your technique?

I've been using barbless hooks for over 5 years now, and in my experience, the benefits far outweigh any drawbacks. I really haven't noticed any more fish spitting out/ losing the hook. what I did notice is that it's easier to set the hook and often I don't need to set the hook at all, especially when dryfly fishing. I buy barbed hooks and crush them with worn out thin-nosed pliers. for big saltwater hooks I crash them and file the bump off if it sticks out too much for my liking.
    Barbed hooks make such a mess in hard-fighting fish's mouths I simply can't pretend I don't care. I do.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123