Winter Glove Recommendation Needed

whalensdad

Reaction score
I'm looking for some recommendations for decent gloves for winter fishing up here in the NE. Gloves/Mitts/Neoprene/Wool -- Let me know your thoughts - PLEASE :)

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Orvis fold-over mitts and / or fingerless gloves (fleece) have always served me well.

C86318B3-7BCA-4279-B54A-F4A59C642A23.jpeg

Last edited:

donkeyhunter007

Reaction score
Thin full finger layer
Then cutoff finger wool thinsulate
Stay warm when wet
Then in extreme cases a windproof mitten layer on top.
This allows you to vary your layers through the day depending on changing conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

partsman

Reaction score
Check out troutbittens blog, I love the fingerless wool, gloves but will also get the glomits. I hate neoprene, tried them many years ago steelheading in northern Michigan, I couldn't toss them fast enough! Also the chemical handwarmers are very helpful, keep a towel in your jacket to try your hands off.
Mike

donkeyhunter007

Reaction score
Thin full finger layer
Then cutoff finger wool thinsulate
Stay warm when wet
Then in extreme cases a windproof mitten layer on top.
This allows you to vary your layers through the day depending on changing conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Fold over mitts. Mine are fleece. It will be hard to talk be into anything else. I hate gloves. If they aren't bulky my hands are cold quick. When it's really cold, surgical gloves as a first layer helps.

whalensdad

Reaction score
For those recommending fold over mitts, do you find them to be to bulky when casting/reeling or are you only using the mitt portion when your fingers can't take the cold anymore?

ia_trouter

Reaction score
For those recommending fold over mitts, do you find them to be to bulky when casting/reeling or are you only using the mitt portion when your fingers can't take the cold anymore?
Flip them back and forth as needed. The fold over secures neatly under a strap out of the way on the back of your hand, on all the brands I have seen. I have Chota brand and love them. They have a little pocket to hold a chem warmer. The warmer isn't in the way at all. They were sub $30 several years ago on the auction site. You aren't going to tie knots without flipping the mitts back of course. You won't see me hyping much gear here but I am a huge fan. I like them because they are thin and comfortable fleece but still warm enough. I haven't used Simms or other major brands but I am sure they are just as good. I admit to having sissy index fingers in the cold and mitts make it so much better.

whalensdad

Reaction score
Flip them back and forth as needed. The fold over secures neatly under a strap out of the way on the back of your hand, on all the brands I have seen. I have Chota brand and love them. They have a little pocket to hold a chem warmer. The warmer isn't in the way at all. They were sub $30 several years ago on the auction site. You aren't going to tie knots without flipping the mitts back of course. You won't see me hyping much gear here but I am a huge fan. I like them because they are thin and comfortable fleece but still warm enough. I haven't used Simms or other major brands but I am sure they are just as good. I admit to having sissy index fingers in the cold and mitts make it so much better.
I have sissy fingers too :). I just looked but it seems Chota doesn't sell them any more.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I have sissy fingers too :). I just looked but it seems Chota doesn't sell them any more.
I'm confident other brands will be fine. I would look for fleece if possible though. Material like wool is warmer, but I've never seen it manufactured thin enough to not be intrusive during a cast. I cast with my mitts on when necessary. It's not perfect, but not a big handicap on creeks which require only short casts. The chem warmers are all that when it's a bit too cold to fish. The little edge that makes it possible to warm the fingers back up before it stops being fun.

osseous

Reaction score
Here's a trick that helps quite a bit- wear a pair of nitrile surgical gloves so your skin never actually gets wet- then put your favorite fingerless gloves on over the top. Stopping that evaporative cooling makes a big difference. I also carry a USB hand warmer in my wader pocket. Recharge it in the car- handy little thing that I use more and more often.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jzim

Reaction score
Fly fishermen accumulate stuff. I would recommend taking several pairs of gloves on a winter trip. Gloves get wet. Changing them every hour or so depending on activity is a way to go.

I carry fingerless wool gloves, Orvis foldover mittens, and Simms Guideblock foldovers. Those and a couple of hot hands do the trick.

Also, carry a small towel to dry your hands after getting the hands wet when you release that 20" brown trout that ate the small midge.

whalensdad

Reaction score
Here's a trick that helps quite a bit- wear a pair of nitrile surgical gloves so your skin never actually gets wet- then put your favorite fingerless gloves on over the top. Stopping that evaporative cooling makes a big difference. I also carry a USB hand warmer in my wader pocket. Recharge it in the car- handy little thing that I use more and more often.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Don't your hands sweat wearing nitrile gloves?

ejsell

Reaction score
I bought the Orvis fingerless wool fleece gloves a month or so ago. They worked well in a big snow storm. I did not buy the ones with a flap which sucked when I had to knock a couple inches of snow off of the car.

I bought these fingerless wool gloves with a button held flap. Had ones with velcro and didn't like them. The flap tended to get hung up on everything

I do always carry 2 sets of gloves with me when it's cold. So I'll probably primarily use the thinner Orvis gloves and keep the other ones in my sling for backup.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jdwy

Reaction score
I bought the Simms with the foldback first 2 fingers + thumb. With that said, even those are a pain in the butt, but they seem to be the less obtrusive when trying to fish plus they seem warm for the thin size. I've had my hands frost bit so they easily get cold so I had the bright idea of buying some thin black "rubber" gloves from the cook at the local watering hole to wear under the Simms. Haven't got to see how that works out yet.

whalensdad

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I just ordered the Orvis Fold-Over mitts. I also found an old pair of fingerless wool gloves in my hoard of winter stuff.