Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default Bamboo rod making

I watch the TV show "How it's Made" daily, last night they went through the bamboo rod making process at the "Thomas &Thomas" facility. I am tool & die by trade and this show fascinates me, much to my wife's chagrin.

Default Re: Bamboo rod making

The craftsmanship that goes into constructing a boo rod is amazing--- just to make a stick out of 6 planed pieces of cane is hard enough, but to get it to perform with the proper tapers and all to throw a fly line is artistry.

There are boo building courses out there if you feel yourself getting pulled in...

mark

My fishing partner started building cane rods 6-7 years ago.
    While at the time he was professionally repairing and restoring rods for a large general tackle shop, he had absolutely no wood working experience.
    ..He never took a class, he just read up on it, got some tools, and did it.
    Even on his first rod, you can't see a single glue line.
    He's been trying to talk me into taking up the hobby but I don't have that kind of patience
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Hi Leachim
    I love that show also. That & Mythbusters are always worth watching.......Years ago a friend started building bamboo rods & also tried to get me into it. I went as far as making a few planing forms, one for me & another one for him. After watching him do the whole process & actually starting on one I backed off & let him finish. He now builds them commercially & has progressed beyond the hobbiest.
    There is a lot involved beyond the planeing, with the gluing, finishing etc. I figured I'd just test his spares & just stay with pre-made blanks for my rod building..... It is a rewarding hobby & if you have the patience go for it.
    Good luck in your efforts
    Neil