Cold-ish Weather Gloves

mjkirshner

Reaction score
Looking for glove recommendations for cooler days when the water is not really cold, but the air temp is in the 50s or 60s with a chilly wind that would make wet hands uncomfortable. The gloves I use most times have two fingers and thumb that not fully covered. I found these that have "flip" covers over those fingers so that you can have full coverage but expose fingers and thumb for threading a hook, etc.

Amazon.com : KastKing Mountain Mist Fishing Gloves - Cold Winter Weather Fishing Gloves - Fishing Gloves for Men and Women - Ideal as Ice Fishing, Photography, or Hunting Gloves(Blackout, Large) : Sports & Outdoors

I wondered if anyone has anything similar and how they work.

dillon

Reaction score
Looking for glove recommendations for cooler days when the water is not really cold, but the air temp is in the 50s or 60s with a chilly wind that would make wet hands uncomfortable. The gloves I use most times have two fingers and thumb that not fully covered. I found these that have "flip" covers over those fingers so that you can have full coverage but expose fingers and thumb for threading a hook, etc.

Amazon.com : KastKing Mountain Mist Fishing Gloves - Cold Winter Weather Fishing Gloves - Fishing Gloves for Men and Women - Ideal as Ice Fishing, Photography, or Hunting Gloves(Blackout, Large) : Sports & Outdoors

I wondered if anyone has anything similar and how they work.
That’s the problem with gloves, they get wet. Wet gloves then become worse than no gloves at all. The last time I wore my Simms gortex gloves with mitts they were great until I landed a fish. My hands and inside of the gloves got wet releasing it. It was over for the gloves the rest of the morning. I didn’t properly dry the that night so they were useless the next day. There have been a few glove threads lately (I wonder why). Someone on another thread suggested taking multiple pairs of gloves on a fishing trip. Good idea! Not catching fish works too. It’s hard to remember to take your gloves off in the moment, but it would help...

mjkirshner

Reaction score
That’s the problem with gloves, they get wet. Wet gloves then become worse than no gloves at all.
These are neoprene (wetsuit material). They are designed to be wet. The neoprene traps water, which is warmed by the body, so the temperature of the layer of between the body and the air or water stays at halfway between the two; plus there is no wind chill effect. I wear some for kayaking and wade fishing, and they are no problem wet. They just don't provide full coverage. It seems that most of the gloves I have seen are not intended for full immersion, just water repellent, and most are made of some kind of fabric, which would just get soggy when immersed. I could just use neoprene diving gloves, but those are full coverage, so tying on a fly would require removing them. The neoprene fishing glove with the flip cover on the fingers seems like the solution.

Here is another pair, but they are full finger, and I wonder how they are for tying on a fly.

Sport Series MXS 2 Gloves Bug Slinger Maori Hook | Official Site

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll offer what I've learned about the glove issue. Most of you already know I live in and fish in Alaska and it can be pretty rough here on a June day. Rough especially if you are standing at the console of a jet boat at 28 mph headed upriver in a cold rain on a 37 degree morning kind of rough.....

I've tried a lot of gloves and admittedly almost any waterproof type works for driving but what about fishing? The fishing thing is where it gets complicated isn't it? The wool fingerless are fine for that same 37 degree morning when you want a little protection while you fish. You can tie knots and handle line fine with them on but they will get wet. As the day warms into the 40's the wool will do but what about the day when you're never gonna see 40 degrees and want to stay at it all day long?

The best I have tried (and what I use on cold days) are called Striker Ice Second Skins, here's an image;

The gloves were designed for ice fishing and with that in mind I thought they were worth a try so I bought them last year. They are thus far waterproof and they are warm to an extent. The material is soft and supple, the palms have lots of little silicon beads on them that can assist with the grip of the rod cork on the rainy days. The big thing is that I can feel my fly line through the gloves. This is huge to me because with my Simms G4 gloves I can feel nothing due to the rigid construction of the glove.

Like any glove on the water they have limitations. They can and will get wet inside if you submerge your hand to a depth surpassing the length of the cuff. If you remove the glove to change flies or handle a fish you need to somehow dry your hands before attempting to put the gloves back on. If it is pouring rain you will need to chinch the neoprene cuffs of your wading jacket around the cuff of the glove to help control water getting inside the gloves.

But for fishing, for fishing with a pair of gloves on they are the best I have used. No flip over parts. No Velcro. No missing fingertips or thumbed, they are gloves. I tie my knots and get everything ready to go and then put them on then I fish. If it's cold or raining I try to make the best choices possible with fly selection and leader strength and I thoroughly test my knots. Then I put on my Striker Ice gloves and fish comfortably.

That's what I think I know about fishing in gloves.

trev

Reaction score
I was a long time out door construction worker and tried most kinds of gloves over a fifty year period and the two stand outs for all kinds of cold use are the brown jersey that you buy fifty at a time from the tractor store- (check that they are ambidextrous/fit either hand so that you don't end up with 20 spare righthand gloves) - and the white knit gloves used in meat packing plants. The brown can be changed 50 times a day if necessary and can be laundered with your clothes and the white can be too but they don't seem to absorb water even if it goes through them.
Any glove with velcro on it anywhere will sooner or later make blood on your face, nose, ears, eyebrows etc.
Now I'm thinking about ordering some of those Strikers, something I haven't yet used.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
They are not a heavy duty glove but if you realize the limitations of gloves when applying them to fishing they are the best I have used. The way I fish is conducive to this type glove because I seldom if ever change the fly and use heavy tippets that don't break so when I put them on it's a once and done kind of thing. Everyone has different expectations for gear and I have recommended these to several people based on the fact that I think they help and I can feel the line in my hand.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Believe it or not, I do not wear gloves all winter fly fishing here. I will have hand warmer packs on cold days but you know what works the best for me?

I leave my coat open just a bit and stick my free hand in my armpit if it gets a little cold, if my hands are moving and dry, I don't seem to have any problem. (Disclaimer) Ive worked outside most of my life all winter and I`m used to arctic cold.

I have tried flip gloves, Neo half gloves, thin gloves, they all come off and eventually get wet and useless anyway.

dipaoro

Reaction score
I picked up the Simms Windbloc Foldover Mittens @ Dick's with 20% off; free shipping and no tax.

As soon as I try this out, I will let you know. The Orvis version of these gloves are not warm at all.

pheldozer

Reaction score
i have a pair of the simms foldover mitts, but only wear them to and from the water and to warm my hands up.
my thermals have those thumb holes and a little pocket for a handwarmer on the underside of my wrists which do a great job of warming the blood up as it goes to your hands.
carrying a towel or two to dry your hands off whenever you release a fish helps tremendously too.

missed the part about air temps in the 50-60s and my recs above are usually reserved for temps below 30. without trying to sound like a tough guy, i couldn't imagine wearing gloves at night in may or september

Last edited:

deceiverbob

Reaction score
When I duck hunted, I tried neoprene gloves, They were plenty warm for South Mississippi weather, but my hands would sweat in them and having nowhere to go it just remained in the gloves. By the end of duck season my hand smelled liked a locker room when I removed the gloves, and washing the gloves did not help.

fishing hobo

Reaction score
Thin surgical gloves then over that thin neoprene gloves with 1st 2 digits being fingerless. I don't know how they will fare in the very cold weather some of you guys have over there. The Patagonia R1s are hopeless...

Bent Undergrowth

Reaction score
I frequently fish in subzero temperatures. I have tried many gloves, mittens, choppers, neoprene skins, fingered, fingerless, etc.

For ice fishing they are nice for setting up the portable, drilling holes, etc. But actually fishing, I always remove them.

Every insulating glove, even the tightest fitting neoprene, is a dramatic reduction in dexterity. It's not worth it.

Cold hands slow down and crack, though. The bottom line in cold weather is you also have to slow down, and take care of them. Periodic use of insulated pockets or a hand muff (there's a reason these are super popular among hunters and athletes) is key. And find a good balm to keep them from cracking.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

myt1

Reaction score
I have experimented with many of the different types of gloves mentioned above.

My problem is that I constantly get my line tangled on my gloves, even when I'm wearing minimalist fingerless gloves to keep the sun off my hands in the summer time.

So, particularly in "cold-ish" weather I typically don't wear any gloves, but I will use disposable hand warmers in the pockets of my fishing jacket.

I can usually keep my hands reasonably comfortable and I don't have to worry about tangles, or getting my gloves wet and then having to deal with pretty much useless gloves after that.

Last edited:

cpiercem

Reaction score
Thin surgical, nitrile, or even dish gloves with an over glove of wool or neoprene. Most of the time I just wore the surgical gloves with no over glove. I also use a microfiber drying towel for drying off after a fish release etc.

The over gloves are attached up my sleeve with a cord so that I can pull them off for landing and quickly tuck it up in my coat sleeve or flip it over my arm for getting it out of the way. Like a kids mitten cord.

jdwy

Reaction score
The gloves I use most times have two fingers and thumb that not fully covered. I found these that have "flip" covers over those fingers so that you can have full coverage but expose fingers and thumb for threading a hook, etc.
I use them too, (Simms) but find the flip covers are always in the way and a pain in the rear. Like posted above, I got the bright idea to wear surgical gloves alone or under the Simms. Mine are solid black so on totally sunny days they attract some heat from the sun.

ts47

Reaction score
I like a pair of real wool fingerless gloves. The wool tends to shed water if they get wet. If your hands get cold, you can stick a hand warmer in the glove to rest in the palm of your hand. If you need more protection, those nitrite gloves can be worn underneath or instead of. The nitrite will at least create a barrier between the elements and your hand and retain most of the feel gloves take away. If all else fails, Ard's suggestion looks pretty good for a next step or weather that is colder than "cold-ish".