Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  5

Default some thoughts to the turn of the year - when fishing got serious...

hi,

from time to time my prime - minister sends me in my fisher-chamber to order it...

last time i found a tresure : original fenwick gen.1 hmg graphite gff 756 in original alu-tube.i bought

in 1976 on a school exchange for $102 --- the 1/6 of the german price in this time!

this rod accompanied me for long years and also today you could do nearly everything with her.

from close to middle and further no problem,good feel,good quality and 74 gramm and if i wish

to go dry i could underline.

later her father mr.d.green founded winslow and in end sage which has a quite sure place in

my quiver today.

from time to time i take my 43 year old darling to the river and it we have a lot of fun.

Merry Christmas to you!

thomas

2. Thanks cooutlaw, Ard thanked for this post
    Likes spm, dennyk, Fly2bTied, sweetandsalt, cpiercem liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: some thoughts to the turn of the year - when fishing got serious...

Merry Christmas to you Thomas!

Blog Entries

Hi Thomas,

I have an Orvis Far & Fine 5 weight I have fished with since 1979 never missed a year so we are close.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Merry Christmas, Thomas.
    I picked up one of your rod's bigger sisters, a Fenwick 'HMG', 1st Gen. Fenwick Graphite. 9' #5. 2 pc. 2 3/4 oz (78g) this summer. It's British-built on a blank by, I believe, Owen Caudle & Geoffrey Rivaz, so not factory but nicely done nevertheless. I'm just replacing a lost keeper ring on it this week so got it out for a wiggle the other day and was surprised by how deep the action is - and how much bounce it has!
    I've yet to put a line on it but I'm wondering whether, given its age, '#5' might better apply to a DT line and if I use a WF then #4 might better suit? What line does your liebchen like best?
    I also have a 12' 6'', #8/9/10 black HMG by Dermot Wilson and it's a real hefty beast of a big brother!

1976 is very early for an HMG, first released in 1974. If you could post some photos of the rod, bag and tube it would be very much appreciated.

hi,

unfortuanetly photos arenīt possible to me -perhaps in 2020 -old School...

i took an old tt wf#5 or an also old hmg v2 shootinghead #5/6 - they work fine and

because of the less weight - itīs a #6 - the bounce is acceptable.

hope to help you.

nice we.

thomas

7. Thanks Lewis Chessman thanked for this post

I had a very early HMG trout rod which, because of competition accuracy casting "hovering", now belongs to e caster. Also my first serious bass/bonito/albie/blues rod was a 9'/#10 HMG I built from a blank. Back then, other fishermen made fun of a guy fishing a fly rod in the salt..."what are you doing, looking for a trout?" Off some of those same NE points today, some 50%+ of fisherman are sporting fly gear and often casting better than their counterparts on trout streams.

Merry Christmas to you too Thomas