Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Adding an Extra Stripping Ring to a Salt Water Rod ..... Why?

Last week I picked up an old Biscayne Rod Mfg 'Billy Baroo' 9 ft #10 out of idle curiosity. I thought it a bit odd that it should have three stripping rings and that they should be so close together on the butt and when showing it to a friend he noticed that Ring 2 was of a different style. I then noticed the lack of any metallic blue thread in its whippings, unlike all the others on the rod. The rod's been customised ......

From the butt upwards:
    1-P1050344.JPG

The ring spacings are (from memory) 45 cm, 65 cm, 92 cm:
    1-P1050345.JPG

The first ring (original):
    1-P1050347.JPG

The second ring (customised):
    1-P1050349.JPG

The only reason to add this ring that I can think of is to minimise line-slap (if it's a problem!) but I'm not a salt water fly-boy so maybe I'm missing something?
    I'm inclined to remove it unless someone can think of a good reason not to.

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Lewis.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Adding an Extra Stripping Ring to a Salt Water Rod ..... Why?

Hi James,

Removing; are you intending to keep it or move it on, removing may require that you apply a coat of finish between where the wraps are located going in both directions until you either reach the other wraps to avoid having a burnished area where you removed the guide.

Just my thoughts, been a long time since I've messed about with guides on graphite.

If I had a second thought it may be why remove it at all, why not see how the rod works prior to doing anything. I'm guessing the guide (being offset) is just unnerving to look at.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

That's an interesting set-up. Especially the spacing between the guides. I would think it was done to eliminate line slap like you said. Just not well thought out. I only have two stripping guides on my 8 wgts but I use a spinning guide where the ring sits much higher off the blank and the rest of the guides on the rod are single foot spinning guides.
    Like Ard said see how it casts before you decide whether to do anything with it.
    "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

4. Likes Ard liked this post

Thanks, gentlemen. Absolutely, I'll give it a trial cast before doing anything at all. Just need to buy a #10wf first!

I know what you're saying about the rod varnish, Ard, and have considered it a bit already. Given that the extra ring is a bit of a bodge job I suspect that the customiser hasn't sanded the blank down under the feet. With a degree of care and a greater degree of luck I'm hoping the old whippings and epoxy might come away quite cleanly and simple fingernail pressure will remove any remainder, leaving the original varnish in place. If not, well I've ordered some rod varnish already for some other wee jobs and will add this one to the list if needs be.

Cheers, guys.

6. Likes Ard liked this post

I'm not sure that "line slap" would be the right term
    The whole idea of stripping guides is to get the line to straighten out so as it will pass smoothly through the snake guides
    I often put an extra guide or two on rods that I recondition. but not on the butt end.
    Your first stripping guide should be placed at the distance that you, personally, reach to when stripping in line.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

8. Thanks Lewis Chessman thanked for this post
    Likes Ard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I'm not sure that "line slap" would be the right term
    The whole idea of stripping guides is to get the line to straighten out so as it will pass smoothly through the snake guides
    I often put an extra guide or two on rods that I recondition. but not on the butt end.
    Your first stripping guide should be placed at the distance that you, personally, reach to when stripping in line.
    ^ Good advice, especially on a heavier weight rod.

Although not widely known outside of the south, Biscayne makes quality rods. They are in Miami and manufacture mostly saltwater spinning and conventional rods under lots of different brand names. Three stripper guides are common on 10 wts and heavier, so am curious what are your thoughts/reasons for wanting to remove one of the stripper guides (question is for the OP)? And yes, the reason for 3 strippers is to control line slap before the line gets to the snake guides - especially important if you are lucky enough to latch onto a big hot fish in saltwater.

Side note: One of the fun things of having someone onboard who is not accustom to catching big, hot, & fast moving fish is giving them instruction of what to do with the fly line that is still lying on the deck when the fish bites and bedlam ensues.

Being the instructor and watcher and not the angler, there is often 5-15 of fly line lying on the deck or sand (if we are on land). The fish takes off like a dragster and the fly line jumps up and starts flying everywhere. It gets flipped around a stripper guide, around the reel, around the reel handle, around the rod butt, around the anglers finger or hand, around his shoe or toe, or around anything and everything you don't want it to get wrapped around, and then the line goes slack as the tippet parts. If you have not seen it or experienced it, it's almost as exciting as landing the fish - even for the angler whose heart rate has gone from 80 to 140 in about 3 sec.

10. Thanks Lewis Chessman thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Chessman View Post
    I'm inclined to remove it unless someone can think of a good reason not to.

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Lewis.
    Yeah, that's definitely a strange location and spacing for a guide, at the very least removing it will tell you if there's a "secret" underneath. Functionally, it looks more like a way to reinforce or hide an area of damage than anything else.

Don't be surprised if there's a nick or gouge under one of the wrappings. Of course, it could just be someones brilliant solution to a problem we don't fully appreciate. Only one way to find out.

12. Thanks Lewis Chessman thanked for this post

My thanks again.
    knotjoe: Aye, you could be right! I hadn't thought of it being 'a beard', but maybe ....

First Light & Riptide: Interesting. As knotjoe says, the second ring is in an odd position, being closer to the first than the third. I can set the rod up for a static curve test at some point and see if it looks like it's influencing the line much, but it's so far down the butt that I doubt it.

The only function I could envisage was for better alignment of the spare line thrown in a cast and that, if the gap between rings 1 & 3 now (1 & 2 originally) was too great then power might be lost by the line hitting, even wrapping around, the blank (as often happens if one accidentally misses an eye when setting up!).

However, it isn't a particularly well executed whipping on the current Ring 2, functional but a bit crude.
    Before buying I did some on line research into Biscayne and I'm pleased to read First Light's comments about them - it echos all I've read elsewhere - little though that is! Very little is to be found about their fly rods but the fact that they are a respectable, independent rod company was enough to garner my interest. Part of my curiosity about the extra ring is that I'm not sure if it's serving any purpose - I'd imagine an established company like Biscayne knows how best to space their eyes - but maybe not?

If it hasn't got a positive function then I'd rather restore (if that's not too grand a term for this old stick!) it to 'factory specs' and if the rod is, indeed, better with it I'll happily re-whip it, but this time with the metallic blue threads included. I'm getting really anal in my old age!

We've a winter storm blowing through this week but I'll test cast 'as is' when possible, though it'll be with an 8/9 short spey until I get a #10. No hurry on my part, though.

Thanks for the descriptive footnote, First Light, nice.
    My old boss used to go around cutting the buckles and straps of his guests' expensive wellington boots with, "You'll thank me when you don't lose a fish!" his reply to any complaint. This simply left them with a bemused expression clouding their anger ..... but we all know here what he meant!

There's an extra stripping guide on heavier saltwater rods because you fight big saltwater fish with the butt of the rod. That's where most of the bending of the rod will be, and the top half of the rod will be more straight. There's a lot of pressure on those bottom three guides when you fight a fish like that, so you want stronger guides on the rod butt.

15. Thanks Lewis Chessman thanked for this post
    Likes Hirdy liked this post
  16. Default Re: Adding an Extra Stripping Ring to a Salt Water Rod ..... Why?

LC...my thought on a Biscayne flyrod is big fish heavy tippet as in no less than 20 and perhaps 30 to straight 50. Is your "Ten" really a 10 or is it like the old time pre Shimano Loomis Megas e.g. Mega 10 or Mega 12. My suggestion to follow your suggestion put a bend in the rod say 8-12 lbs see what the new guide looks like in the bend but the location is odd I would have split the distance equally...why do it... if I was going to use heavy tippet I might use three strippers to manage the line when fighting a big fish on heavy tippet whereas a snake might bend out ...the picture long time ago when in me "youse"... it was a RPLX 12 blank with straight 50 for filming...I could not pull more than 12-13 pounds...but the guide/line stress was on the last three strippers...that's why I put three on but now I'm lucky to pull 7-8 lb and that's for five minutes...as others suggested I would pull that ugly third off and wrap some thread around where it was for looks...HardPull.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast