Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jaw spreaders?

Default Re: Jaw spreaders?

It's always a bit of relief to see that a pike's going to be an easy release -- many times everybody bleeds. These are my tools, Cuda jaw spreaders, Rising 9" pliers, plus a Frabill musky cradle. I've tried a Boga Grip for handling them but found that tends to cut a hole, and tried the Rising Lippas, but found you can readily break a fish's jaw with those if you don't release them when they thrash. Pike like to thrash a bit.

IMG_4959.jpg

Blog Entries

I use them on toothy critters. Much easier on me than sutures.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

I caught many pike on the fly when I was young. I never used spreaders, just my fingers or a pair of pliers. Scars from pike teeth were a badge of courage we showed to our buddies.
    Fast forward 35 years and I now dread hooking pike. They're slimy, the slime reeks, they're poor fighters, and I definitely don't enjoy bleeding anymore. Now I discovered that if I use flies with smaller hooks in the front of the fly and no bite tippet the only pike I land are hooked in the corner of the mouth, the deep hooked ones bite me off before I can even set the hook and just spit the fly out. With barbless hooks and a little dehooking tool I don't even have to touch those slimy, smelly "slime scheisters" anymore. I may have become a little softer with age, but I'd like to think maybe I've gotten a little smarter too.
    If I was using big flies and bite tippets, like many guys do, though, I wouldn't hesitate to get myself a spreader. Gator pike will cut you deep, no need to get stitches when you can prevent it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12