Why is there so much hype around this tippet

TristianSutton

Reaction score
Any one know why this cortland ultra premium tippet has so much hype around it, I dont see it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

scotty macfly

Reaction score
The guys at a local fly shop rave about it. They say it's the best tippet Cortland has ever come out with, supple and strong. But of course they'd say that if they want sales. Cortland has been laying silent for years, and in the past two years that I have noticed, they have awakened with all these new products, and I really can't say I have heard anything negative.

I have heard from that fly shop that Cortland has redone many of their lines and the Classic 444 is about to change. I'm curious to find that out for myself because I use the 444 Peach on my cane rods.

zjory

Reaction score
Have you fished with it yet?
It’s all I’ve used for 9 months now. It’s much stronger than any other tippet I’ve used while remaining very supple. I think it’s a size big ie size 6 is same as most other manufacturer’s size 5. Even considering that, their size 6 is stronger than any other size 5 I’ve fished.

TristianSutton

Reaction score
Have you fished with it yet?
It’s all I’ve used for 9 months now. It’s much stronger than any other tippet I’ve used while remaining very supple. I think it’s a size big ie size 6 is same as most other manufacturer’s size 5. Even considering that, their size 6 is stronger than any other size 5 I’ve fished.
I have and I hated it compared to trouthunter fluorocarbon, its knot strength leaves something to be desired

osseous

Reaction score
The 5x is rated a 5.7pounds

Because the stuff that says 5X on the label, measures 4X when you check it. It ought to be strong- if they're going to cheat by a full rating. I just bought some of the new Sci Anglers stuff- curious to see how it measures, and if they're playing games as well. TH is bang on, btw.

TristianSutton

Reaction score
Because the stuff that says 5X on the label, measures 4X when you check it. It ought to be strong- if they're going to cheat by a full rating. I just bought some of the new Sci Anglers stuff- curious to see how it measures, and if they're playing games as well. TH is bang on, btw.

Trouthunter is the best of the best tippets

planettrout

Reaction score
Ever since the Cortland came out, people who owned / used a micrometer knew that the hype (Top Secret) on this product was just that - HYPE...

I will stick with these:

My son caught this 9lb. 4oz. Rainbow on Seaguar 5X about 5 minutes after I told him to throw his spool of this junk ( below) in the trash:

PT/TB

Last edited:

trev

Reaction score
That's nylon not fluorocarbon

It is tippet though, so a tippet to tippet comparison is valid. I thought fluorocarbon was supposed to be stronger than nylon?

You do realize this thread will be advertisement for Cortland ? It is already, probably a dozen or thousand guys that never heard of this stuff will now have to buy and test it. I want to buy and measure a few spools of it and see for myself that it is consistently mislabeled as smaller than it actually is, and I don't even like fluorocarbon.

Last edited: