Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  47
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I read it so you donít have to (Big Trout by Ray Johnson)

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Bagels View Post
    I AM intrigued by this. Next time I’m on a business trip, maybe I’ll grab a six pack of something and sit and watch it in the hotel room or bar. It occurs to me that there’s a whole lot of Ray Johnson-like guys out there now, but they’re on YouTube, fakebook, and Instagram trying to convince everyone how great they are. Maybe he was actually a genius who was just ahead of his time...or just a colossal toolbox.
    I smiled at the thought, the guy is a classic example of why I fish alone unless paid. I've had a few experts but rolled with the punches. A few years ago I was contacted by a lodge and ask if I would come out for ten days to guide a special group. The special group was going to be led by a "famous" female author angler from Alaska I think but am not sure. There are many people who claim residency here but are currently in Florida or Hawaii ………….

Any way the deal was as follows; it was a group of ladies who had paid to come to the lodge so they could fish with the famous angler, my job would be to accompany them but not to interfere in any way with the famous angler. Just show them where to fish and deliver them along the river with the boat then hang out while the pro laid it down. The lodge owner was serious, don't answer questions, don't tie knots and by no means do not try to help people who are having difficulty casting or catching. Sounds like fun huh?

The money wasn't bad but I didn't take the gig because it sounded like a butt boy job to me, maybe like taking big Ray fishing so he had some material for his next literary work....

I picked up one of the famous anglers books about grayling fishing after I learned the name. In other words I gave the benefit of the doubt that this person may actually have forgotten more than I've ever learned so I paid $19.99 and waited for delivery........... I was hoping to find some info about grayling such as when do they spawn, spawn in redds or back eddys or where? What is their preferred water condition as in current speed, depth, temps etc.

The entire book was filled with trip reports from guided fishing trips and the author caught every single grayling on a Bead under a Bobber. She did give a nod to each lodge or guide service used but there was not one tiny bit of knowledge contained from cover to cover.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes Joey Bagels liked this post
    Blog Entries

Hi Joey, as I was reading your evaluation of Mr. Johnson's book this thought came to mind:

"That was great, Joey, you write far better than he does ." ~Lewis Chessman

Lewis wrote down what I was thinking. Instead of watching that documentary I think you would be better served filling a small flask with something expensive and going fishing instead. Who knows, you may be inspired to publish something yourself!

Denny
    Last edited by dennyk; 01-13-2020 at 09:38 AM.

4. Thanks Joey Bagels thanked for this post

Default I read it so you donít have to (Big Trout by Ray Johnson)

Incidentally, hereís Mr. ďI release most of my big fish and so should youĒ posing with two very large, very dead browns. And he wondered why the fishery declined over the years.
    ďItís all in the reflexes.Ē

6. Likes karstopo, cpiercem liked this post
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't let that guy in my boat.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

8. Likes unknownflyman, Joey Bagels, AzTrouter liked this post

I stand by my previous post.

10. Likes Joey Bagels liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Bagels View Post
    I AM intrigued by this. Next time Iím on a business trip, maybe Iíll grab a six pack of something and sit and watch it in the hotel room or bar. It occurs to me that thereís a whole lot of Ray Johnson-like guys out there now, but theyíre on YouTube, fakebook, and Instagram trying to convince everyone how great they are. Maybe he was actually a genius who was just ahead of his time...or just a colossal toolbox.
    Full disclosure, I didnít watch it all :- )

What I did see was mostly an infomercial for fishing lures and maps made barely tolerable by itís being dated and a little retro funky haha

12. Likes Joey Bagels liked this post

Sounds similar to our own local legend. One Ronnie "Trout Pro". Catching large trout routinely is one thing...hooray for you.
    Abusing a resource for shameless self promotion for selling books, Facebook likes and Instagram fame is another.

ďIf I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.Ē
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

14. Likes Joey Bagels liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post
    I stand by my previous post.
    He doesnít look like somebody that should be left alone around children.
    ďItís all in the reflexes.Ē

Blog Entries

Joey is a great writer. I’ve always enjoyed his observations, musings and imaginative trip reports.

I don’t know where Ray Johnson of “Big Trout” fits, an eccentric, a creep, an ego-maniac, it’s complicated. I’m glad Joey read the book for us so we don’t have to.

This is the age for self-promotion or maybe not with the multitude of channels and platforms it gets to be all a bunch of noise and no signal.

I kind of miss the era of Field and Stream and Outdoor Life of the 1970s. I should go back and look at those articles again, maybe they weren’t as good as I remember, I was just a naive boy when I enjoyed them.

A good fishing tale seems eternally good. But even those seem harder than ever to pull off these days. I’ve read some fantastic, harmless and entertaining ones on forums, but then the author has to take ceaseless hateful flak from some nitwit bully with zero imagination and a highly over inflated sense of self importance.

Social media often seems to let some of the worse traits in people to dominate the discussion and the very worst of the bad actors to rise to the top.
    Presentations made
    Sighted fish, structure and sign
    Eats, but never blind

This is an interesting thread on a couple levels.

The first is, there really is a correlation between success and how much time and money ie dedication one throws at a task. The other is the level of resentment and jealousy thrown on those that do choose to go at a task hard, be that work or play. In the fishing world Andy Kim comes to mind, I’ve known him personally for years, good man, gets a lot of flak haha

There’s been a couple times in my life I’ve played to win and the focus of time and money will alienate those around you. It really is lonely at the top.

The second is when someone sets out to monetize that pursuit, in order to get paid to play. Some are more graceful than others :- )

The last is sometimes it’s best not to meet your ‘heroes’ I have a couple stories about that too.

.....anyway a few semi disjointed thoughts on this topic :- )
    Last edited by AzTrouter; 01-16-2020 at 09:01 AM.

18. Thanks Joey Bagels thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12