Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
  1. Default Rod comparisons...

I have a Sage VPS 8 wt that just really fits my stroke. I am hoping to add a few rods in 6-8 wt that are similar to the VPS 8wt I presently own. The problem of course is it is difficult to find rods to test... just wondering if anyone with Sage VPS experience could offer opinions on other rods that might feel similar. I like Winstons too but only have 4 and 5 wts.

Not really looking for new rods... I seem to like the older stuff. The new Recon is nice though.

Thanks
    Neal

2. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Default Re: Rod comparisons...

I had a couple of VPS rods over the years. I have a Scott Flex 906 that is similar in action to a VPS I had in the same configuration. If anything, the Scott is a little lighter in hand and maybe a tad faster.

4. Likes omas liked this post

One thing to keep in mind regarding the Sage VPS is that there was also the VPS Light. Those are two different actions altogether.

The VPS Light is the LightLine series of rod but with a less expensive hardware than the LL series.
    Mainline the blueline

feels like the VPS came out almost 20 years ago, so finding someone that could accurately compare its action to something on the market today might be almost impossible, but i've heard rumors that Cabelas is using the same GIII tech that was on the VPS series in their store brand rods...

bring your rod to cabelas and have them string up an 8 weight on one of their rods in the $3-400 range and cast them side by side.
    "There's only one thing wrong with a fishing day--its staggering brevity. Zane Grey

7. Default Re: Rod comparisons...

Quote Originally Posted by pheldozer View Post
    feels like the VPS came out almost 20 years ago, so finding someone that could accurately compare its action to something on the market today might be almost impossible, but i've heard rumors that Cabelas is using the same GIII tech that was on the VPS series in their store brand rods...

bring your rod to cabelas and have them string up an 8 weight on one of their rods in the $3-400 range and cast them side by side.
    Excellent idea. I will do th that. Thanks