Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  59
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: January

Default Re: January

The Yucatan Peninsula for two weeks of tarpon fishing helps maintain a small semblance of sanity and my bi-annual tarpon fix. On the rare above-freezing afternoons close to home, the Green below Flaming Gorge with midges.

Quote Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
    January is a good month on the Texas Coast. Lots of sight fishing opportunities for redfish, black drum and sheepshead. I never get out as much as I want to, but on my one saltwater trip this year it was an afternoon of fishing 20 minutes from home under sunny skies, light winds and air temperatures in the 60s. Eight sighted redfish to 26” came to hand and no one else was around to try and crowd me off the fish. Nothing wrong with January.
    He doesn't mention that C&R is preferred 'cause the sharks like to grocery shop off your stringer!
    Here abouts it's tailwaters, tiny dries/emergers, long leaders and lots of water to yourself. Cold, yes, but the air is dry. I grew up on the east coast and the humidity makes winters there miserable. Layering and wicking fabric will keep you warm here.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

3. Likes karstopo liked this post
    Blog Entries

I seldom string fish for various reasons but the grey lady, the tax man, aka a shark is one reason. Almost anyone that ever wades the surf or certain bays here and strings fish has had a shark eat their catch. I waded a small marsh lake once not more than 18” deep that also sported a 7’ shark. I decided the shark had dibs and left the scene. Sharks have knocked wade fishermen off their feet dragging a stringer with fish on it. Alligators, too, in some of the brackish water areas. A wade fisherman in Port O Connor got into it with a 6-7’ alligator a couple of years ago, but the gator took a bite out of him instead of the stringer. Then there’s the ever present stingrays, taking a barb from one of them has ruined many a wade. If those don’t get you, the razor sharp oyster shell, vibrio, and jellyfish might. Heat stroke, it was 81 yesterday, hypothermia, it will be 40 by Saturday, being eaten alive by mosquitoes, bitten by rattlesnakes, and everything else listed above plus an encounter or two with a meth head are all possible in January. Come on down, let’s have some fun!
    Presentations made
    Sighted fish, structure and sign
    Eats, but never blind

5. Likes dillon, falcon53, TwoThumbsUp liked this post

Pretty limited to fishing through the ice this time of year. If it has been extremely mild I may be able to slip out and fish a short open section of river for steelhead.
    Danny

7. Likes jajohn liked this post

Facebook just reminded me of this trip from 4 years ago in the eastern Sierra. We were in an extended drought, and the air temp was 56 that day, though IIRC other states had been experiencing Polar Vortex. This particular spot was great fishing at that time, but that drought inflicted serious damage on most other fisheries in the region. So in one sense it was a"perfect" fishing day in January, but at the expense of a very rough season.

34A78AB7-0BC6-49DA-8B17-066FAFEA8D2F.jpg

I think you would have to use a snowmobile to reach that same spot today.
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yikes View Post
    Facebook just reminded me of this trip from 4 years ago in the eastern Sierra. We were in an extended drought, and the air temp was 56 that day, though IIRC other states had been experiencing Polar Vortex. This particular spot was great fishing at that time, but that drought inflicted serious damage on most other fisheries in the region. So in one sense it was a"perfect" fishing day in January, but at the expense of a very rough season.

34A78AB7-0BC6-49DA-8B17-066FAFEA8D2F.jpg

I think you would have to use a snowmobile to reach that same spot today.
    Actually, that is why I posted....it is that kind of year.
    We have bare ground around up here at 6500 ft. Worse than last year, when we got almost of winter in Feb. (28 ft.)
    In my life time, we have gone from long duration winters, to burst pattern.
    Starting to worry about guiding this summer. Unlike the other guides, I won't guide warm trickles.
    And LOL, hope you don't need FB to remember a fishing day like that....

Jim

10. Likes yikes liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
    Locally, it is known as Junuary this year. Winter better come soon.......

Jim
    Local papers are putting an optimistic headline on the snowpack reports:
    First Snow Survey Reveals 'Normal' Snowpack | Mammoth Times
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

Blog Entries

They thought glaciers would melt slowly too....
    I have given up on their predictions. I live here and we have zip.
    But we aren't giving up yet....snowing a bit now.

Jim

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234