TFO Signature Series rods????

Dotsonnt

Reaction score
Hey guys im thinking about buying an 8 weight rod for some bass, pike, and inshore fishing on the coast. I dont want to pay a fortune for the outfit but i'd like a decent set up. I was looking at TFO's signature series Lefty Kreh rod in an 8 weight 9 foot. You guys have any knowledge on this particular rod or have any other suggestions? Thanks fellas and good fishing, Nate

i want to catch fish

Reaction score
yes i have one and have had it since jan and love it
its a great rod you cant beat it for the money and a lifetime warnity
it great in the wind
i use mine for steelhead right now and will be using it in the summer for bass
the only down fall is that its 2 peice i like to jump on my bike and just go for a ride and its hard to do sometime but overall its a really nice rod

Dotsonnt

Reaction score
Good deal, i'm going to be doing a lot of streamer/clouser fishing off the coast and the wind is a huge factor so what kind of line would you recomend?

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
got me the 5 wt tfo lefty pro! its great! casts like a champ and also comes with a lifetime warranty. my opinion is go for it! you will be happy with the purchase. mine has a orvis rocky mountain turbine reel on it and it matches perfectly.

ezamora

Reaction score
i've only test wiggled the signature series TFO rods in the 3/4/5 weight sizes and they appeared more of a medium action. for 8wt size fishing i imagine you'd need a medium/fast or fast action rod. i've fished 7 and 8 wt rods, some like the winston vapor were too "weak" for winds and bigger flies. i'm not saying the TFO signature series rod design doesn't change rod design qualities as you go into the bigger line weight size (it might) but i would highly suggest test casting one first if you can. now "i want to catch fish" says it works for him but you don't know if it'll work for you. to be objective, you should ask about experience and what other rods people have fished in comparison. you seem too quick to jump on this recommendation. i'm just trying to be objective here so i mean no disrespect to "i want to catch fish".

if cost is a factor (it's always been to me but even more so these days) you might check out and read up on the albright offerings too. they are offering good deals through their web site. Home page

i've fished TFO professional rods in the 5wt size (i think a better lineup than the signatures for the 8wt style fishing i do but still there are better options) and the TFO TiCR-X which was GREAT for big clousers and stripers from a tube with fast sinking lines. if cost is not that big a factor look into the TiCR-X rods.

in the end, though i have fished for bass (freshwater), i have zero experience with pike and inshore coastal fishing. good luck.

eric
fresno, ca.

i want to catch fish

Reaction score
its a good deal in the wind i live in the great lakes and do bass fishing up on the huron and lake st.clair for my bass fishing i use sciencetific angler full skinking line on the lakes to get down quick and to throw big flys but i also have a 9wt which i use bc of the wind factor but as of right now my 8wt is nice but take ezamora adivice and go and try to test one out he has given great help in the past and has helped good luck

brandyn

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Dotsonnt,

I don't think the TFO 8wt Signature rod is a good choice unless you really like slow/medium action rods. I think the PRO model would be a better choice and it comes in four pieces. The Signature is a two piece rod.

So take a hard look at the TFO PRO and the TiCr would even be a better choice. Somewhere along the way the TFO rods shed some weight and that has made them even a better rod.

You should also take a look at the Redington rods at the Forum Fly Shop. The Redington Red Fly comes in two or four pieces and is priced like the TFO rods. The Redington RS4 would also be a great choice but a bit more money. Redington has a great line up of fly rods and the Forum Fly Shop supports NAFFF. They have free shipping over $100 and you get a 21 day free trial. If you don't like a rod just return it and get all of your money back. Give Todd a call at 937-434-8472. I think you will like doing business with Todd and I know you will like the rods.

Frank

Redington Red.Fly 2

larger image
REDINGTON RED.FLY 2 9084 FLY ROD (9'0", 8WT, 4PC)

$149.00

REDINGTON RED.FLY 2 FLY ROD

The new Red.Fly 2 will exceed all your expectations and provides more performance bang for your buck than any rod we have seen. From a price to performance perspective, it simply cannot be beat. This fast action rod is a smooth, powerful, sweet casting rod that will impress even the most experienced fly casters.

Redington RS4 8wt

larger image REDINGTON RS4 9084 FLY ROD (9'0", 8WT, 4PC)

$219.00

REDINGTON RS4 9084 FLY ROD

New for 2008, Redingtons RS4 packs powerful fast action into every ounce at a price that won't take your breath away. Built on a premium Toray graphite blank from 51 million modulus, and boasting a beautifully distinctive moss color, the Redington RS4 fly rod is firm and crisp, without being ridiculously stiff. Designed as a premium, high end rod the RS4 includes high quality pac bay guides, a laser engraved reel seat, Redington rod case, and Lifetime Warranty. Inspired by the award winning Core Performance Series fly rods, the RS4 outshines most fly rods that cost 2 to 3 times as much. Redington has once again proven how to pack high end performance into a mid priced rod. For experienced fly fishers everywhere, the RS4 is certain to be one of your favorite rods.

Pavel

Reaction score
In regards to the comment made about the Signature Series only being made in a 2 piece(incorrect). Also, they are not slow/medium action in the 4 piece model(that is for the 2 piece). I have the TFO 905-4 9'0 % 5Wt and have only had it out once, but love it.

These medium-fast rods are smooth casting and feature a TFO green IM6 blank, Ti-chrome strippers, light wire snakes, cherry red metallic trim, green thread wraps, winding check, up-locking wooden insert reel seat and rod sock. The #7, #8, #9 and #10 weight rods come with a fighting butt. Comes with cloth rod sock and 4 piece cordura rod tube.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TFO LEFTY KREH SIGNATURE SERIES™ RODS

MODEL LENGTH LINE WEIGHT PIECES WEIGHT
TFO 763-4 7'6" 3 Wt. 4 pc. 3.0 Ounces
TFO 804-4 8’0” 4 Wt. 4 pc. 3.2 Ounces
TFO 865-4 8’6” 5 Wt. 4 pc. 3.7 Ounces
TFO 905-4 9’0” 5 Wt. 4 pc. 3.8 Ounces
TFO 906-4 9’0” 6 Wt. 4 pc. 3.8 Ounces
TFO 907-4 9’0” 7 Wt. 4 pc. 4.3 Ounces
TFO 908-4 9’0” 8 Wt. 4 pc. 4.4 Ounces
TFO 909-4 9’0” 9 Wt. 4 pc. 4.5 Ounces
TFO 9010-4 9’0” 10 Wt. 4 pc. 5.6 Ounces

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TFO LEFTY KREH 10'0" SIGNATURE SERIES™ RODS

Available in 10’0” #5 4PC, 10’0” #6 4PC w/ fighting butt, 10’0” #7 4PC w/ fighting butt and 10’0” #8 4PC w/fighting butt. These medium-fast rods are smooth casting and feature a TFO green IM6 blank, Ti-chrome strippers, light wire snakes, cherry red metallic trim, green thread wraps, winding check, and up-locking wooden insert reel seat. Comes with cloth rod sock and cordura rod tube.

TFO 1005-4 10’0” 5 Wt. 4 pc. 3.8 Ounces
TFO 1006-4 10’0” 6 Wt. 4 pc. 3.8 Ounces
TFO 1007-4 10’0” 7 Wt. 4 pc. 4.3 Ounces
TFO 1008-4 10’0” 8 Wt. 4 pc. 4.4 Ounces

TFO SIGNATURE SERIES™ 14'0" 8/9 SPEY ROD
The new TFO Signature Series 14’0” 8/9 Spey Rod is very user friendly and was designed for the fisherman that is new to spey casting and spey fishing. Specifically designed for use with short belly lines, this rod has a softer full-flex allowing the rod to load easily making spey casting easy for the novice. This rod also has the unique ability to be used as a rod that will cross-over for use with Skagit style lines.

Features a TFO green IM6 blank, Ti-Chrome strippers, cherry red metallic trim, green thread wraps, winding check, black anodized double down-locking reel seat. TFO spey rods include a cloth rod sock and cordura rod tube.

TFO 1489-4 14’0” 8/9 Wt. 4 pc. 8.6 Ounces
******** NOTE: I HAVE ONLY SEEN THESE AVAILABLE IN CANADA *******

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Signature series is a decent rod but the guys are right about the action. Its closer to medium than fast. I have one in a 9WT, good rod but I stepped it up to the TiCrX to get the fast action I was looking for.

onlymidges

Reaction score
Hey Dot,

I have 3 of the Signature series--8' 4wt., 8'6" 4wt., 9' 5wt. For the money you can't beat them. I have Sage rods also and I use the TFO rods the most.
As for the TFO warranty $25 fixes anything that happens to them. Hard to beat that, Sage is $70 to fix theirs.

Go for the TFO you won't be disappointed.

Jr

dmwphoto

Reaction score
try an Orvis TLS series in a Tip flex 9.5. Mine is 5 wt and just incredible to cast. I broke the tip yesterday being stupid. They fix em free for 25 years no matter how dumb ya are.
I'm just sayin....

Pavel

Reaction score
That website only shows the TFO rods that are available to the USA. For some reason in Canada the Signature series is available in the 4 piece:
S P R I N G B R O O K
Go to this link and click on TFO in the first drop down list, then in the second drop down list you will see half way down Signature series in a 2 piece and 4 piece. I ended up talking to a TFO rep who stated that the 4 piece model(Signature Series) is close to being like the professional series rod that is available in the USA but not in Canada. 2 piece is medium action and 4 piece Signature is a medium-fast action. Hope this clears things up for you.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I think I will stick to recommended rods available in America to Americans. The TFO Signature rods may be a very desirable rod in 5wt but it just isn't my choice for an 8wt.

Frank

ezamora

Reaction score
funny. "that website" IS temple fork outfitters.

here's something from springbrook's web site:

NOTICE: Effective January 1st, 2009 Temple Fork Outfitters warranty fee will increase to $30.00.
If you have a broken rod and need to send it in for warranty follow these steps:
1. Send in the ferrule from the broken rod section so we can match up the replacement parts. Take the broken rod section and with a pair of pliers (about 4 or 5 inches above the ferrule) compress the rod to flatten it and break that piece with the ferrule off of the broken rod section. If the entire rod is broken, send in the ferrules from both sections. Please take caution and wear protective eyewear as graphite can splinter.

2. Send the ferrule(s) in a small padded envelope (pre-paid freight, insured) to us at:
Springbrook Manufacturing
3809 9th Street SE
Calgary, Alberta T2G 3C7

i'm wondering what exactly is the connection between springbrook and TFO. the warranty at TFO remains at $25. i'd rather deal directly with the original company than deal through a middleman for slightly more and probably longer wait. of course if i lived in canada, things might be different.

eric
fresno, ca.

Laurel Fork

Reaction score
I had a 9ft 5wt TFO Signature Series rod given to me which I sold because it felt heavy and seemed to have too much "bounce" in the tip when casting. I also did not care for the oversized stripping guide on the rod. I'm not familiar with the higher line weight rods in the series however.

ezamora

Reaction score
for those interested, i contacted TFO by email. here is the response:

Springbrook LTD is the parent company that owns TFO, Backcountry Laboratories, Mangrove, and a few more entities. There are two divisions of Springbrook in the world. The world headquarters is here in Dallas, Texas. The other much smaller division is in Calgary. The US division supplies products to everyone in the world - except Canada.
The 4 piece Signature Series rods available in Canada are NOT the same as the Signature Series rods available in the US. They are a completely different series, and are more closely related to the action of our Professional Series rods.

Springbrook Ca has a number of rods that are available ONLY in Canada - apparently they do some different types of fishing that people in other parts of the world do not practice. Springbrook Ca has designed unique rods specifically for the Canadian dealers. As a result, many of the rods purchased through Springbrook Canada can only be warrantied through there. We do not carry the same rods and/or parts here in the US. We do receive a couple of Canadian rods each year for repair and have to send them to Calgary for attention.
Sorry for any confusion. Please let me know of you have any additional questions or concerns. Tight lines!

Brandon

-- Brandon Powers
Temple Fork Outfitters
8105 Sovereign Row
Dallas, Texas 75247-4711
(800)638-9052