Steelhead fishing on 5wt last weekend

Reaction score
Hey all, thought I'd share some pics with you since you've been giving me your expertise over the past few weeks. Went to Erie PA over the weekend with my bro and a couple friends. Did pretty well. Was my third time fly fishing, and first time for steelhead. This is the first year FF for both my brother and I. We were using 5/6 wt's. Fish averaged around 6.5 - 9 LBS. Mostly caught on egg patterns and wooly buggers. Enjoy

First fish ever on a fly rod - with egg pattern I tied

Another on egg pattern....getting bigger

Last day - Yesterday. Fishing dropped off, then I tied on a light yellow egg pattern. Tore them up on it!!! Guess you just have to pick the right color sometimes when fishing with eggs.

My brother and some of his. Quite honestly, he schooled me all weekend

Reaction score
haha. Yeah, it was a good fight. My brother just sent this one to me and said I needed to put it on here. I forgot. This was the monster - 5 wt also

Joni

Reaction score
Looks like Steelhead for dinner.....mmmmmmm
Nice catches.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice fish,

A 5wt will handle most fish. I've used one for everything but Kings. I must add that my 7wt makes it easier to drag one in without worrying about snapping a shaft.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
my buddy has caught some on a 6wt. i use a 7 or 8wt. that must of been a fun fight! lol.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
WOW!!!

Great going. That's a heck of a first fish on a fly- congratulations. It looks like you were having a ball.

Excellent job!

mark

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi doublelung2009,

Nice fish. I hope you are fishing catch and release. If you are, you should be using a heavier rod. Unless you are fishing a very stiff 5wt fly rod you may be fighting your fish to exhaustion. Their chance for survival goes down with that added stress.

Frank

Reaction score
Hi doublelung2009,

Nice fish. I hope you are fishing catch and release. If you are, you should be using a heavier rod. Unless you are fishing a very stiff 5wt fly rod you may be fighting your fish to exhaustion. Their chance for survival goes down with that added stress.

Frank
Frank

Thanks. We kept some and released some. Quite honestly, and no disrespect, but I wouldnt have driven 5.5hrs to not bring home some fillets for the grill. We really didnt have to fight them a lot. Most gave a couple good runs and then we brought them in. Nothing more than anything else I saw while I was there. But regardless, thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind next time.

Tracker12

Reaction score
I did very well. I fished the upper end most of the morning and most people walked right by me. I did not go down to where you all were fishing until later in the day. I caught few nice smaller 20" ones that made some nice runs. I came form the DC area a 6 1/2 hour drive.

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Frank, Many people practice C&R on the PA tribs, myself included; but keeping fish there is not an issue. PA stocks over a million steelies in their tribs per year. Most of the streams I believe are spate type streams, which are not real great in terms of fry and fingerling survival. It is a tremendous fishery, as the crowds on the weekends will attest to.

Dan