Problem with the site or my computer

jzim

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if I am having a problem with my computer or is this site having some issues. When I click on a topic it used to load quickly. Now, the past couple of weeks it seems like the topic takes about 20 seconds to load completely.

There is now a panel at the bottom of the screen that is showing up. It is blank except for an X that closes the panel. It's like an ad should show up but doesn't.

Anyone else experiencing these issues?

trev

Reaction score
Some times over the last few days the site didn't load at all for me. I don't recall the error numbers, but said site was having problems, or a bunch strange characters like code, with a try again later message.
But, hey it's free, so I wasn't going to complain.

kevind62

Reaction score
This happens to my every so often. Most of the time I just close the site and/or my browser and re-open. This seems to work, though sometimes I have to do it two or three times for it to work. Could be the site server or, if you're using a wifi connection it could be your wifi. Overall, my best solutions seems to be just closing and re-opening until it starts working better.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
My computer now has both of those issues, the slow loading has been going on for a couple of week now but the panel issue just started today.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
When all else fails clear your browser of all cookies and history then try things out. This will result in a fresh log in so be sure to know your password.

One thing I noticed over time would be that when you click a thread that may have 5 or more pages full of text along with images it takes longer for all that content to load for viewing.

When you consider the enormous amount of content contained on this website in comparison to many you may visit we are Huge. That level of content alone will slow down the ability to load in a flash. Compared to any fishing forum I've ever seen this one dwarfs them all.

plecain

Reaction score
Ard,
The error I've gotten lately is a database error 'session table is full'.

Paul

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
When all else fails clear your browser of all cookies and history then try things out. This will result in a fresh log in so be sure to know your password.

One thing I noticed over time would be that when you click a thread that may have 5 or more pages full of text along with images it takes longer for all that content to load for viewing.

When you consider the enormous amount of content contained on this website in comparison to many you may visit we are Huge. That level of content alone will slow down the ability to load in a flash. Compared to any fishing forum I've ever seen this one dwarfs them all.
Ard, I think that before you and Kirsty joined the UKFFF admin/mod staff one aspect of slowness there was identified as an enormous thread over 200 pages long - 'The Lancsy Lads' thread. I think the original was archived and a new one started? Someone over there will know, I'm sure. If you have such lengthy threads here and high traffic (good!) they may be a contributing factor.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Ard, I think that before you and Kirsty joined the UKFFF admin/mod staff one aspect of slowness there was identified as an enormous thread over 200 pages long - 'The Lancsy Lads' thread. I think the original was archived and a new one started? Someone over there will know, I'm sure. If you have such lengthy threads here and high traffic (good!) they may be a contributing factor.
Good point James, a look at a few of these threads would indicate huge numbers of pages filled with images and text both. I'll have a chat with the webmaster and see what we can do with them.

ts47

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if I am having a problem with my computer or is this site having some issues. When I click on a topic it used to load quickly. Now, the past couple of weeks it seems like the topic takes about 20 seconds to load completely.

There is now a panel at the bottom of the screen that is showing up. It is blank except for an X that closes the panel. It's like an ad should show up but doesn't.

Anyone else experiencing these issues?
Here is my saga. I have no idea if it will help you or not.

Comcast, if that is who you use for an ISP, has been having problems for a while. They even had a nationwide internet outage last Thursday I think. Tonight is the first time in a week or so my internet service seems to be working normally again - including this site.

Slow load times could be caused by several issues - this site, your internet provider, your home network, or some aspect of your computer. I use a simple program/app called "Speedtest by Ookla" that I use to test my internet connection. After you've used it for a while, you learn what your download speed and ping times should be. If you have problems and detect a low speed or slow ping, you will know it is your network or internet provider.

All tech needs help sometimes.
Internet routers need to be restarted sometimes.
Your home network routers need periodic firmware updates.
Your computer needs updates and a variety or maintenance too

I went through all of the above over the last week or two. My problem turned out to be Comcast, my ISP. I'm just glad things are up and running again.

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
Ard/Kirtsy, not a moan but fyi, I'm finding my New Post Alerts are taking 4 hrs+ to come through. Thankfully pms seem quick but I thought I'd mention the delay in case it's indicative of anything.
J.

GlennNY

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue, only on this site though, not an issue on other forums I visit. It's been about 3 weeks now.

When I click to open a topic the first post loads fine but it takes forever for the posts below to load.

Had this same issue back in June 2018 until something was fixed.
Site running slow?

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I have a pretty smokin Internet connection one gigabit fiber. I just notice it when there are lots of people on, like the one day where there was over 11.000 people on at once. I don't know if you looked but the traffic has been really high lately. I've even got the too many connections try back later screen.

trev

Reaction score
"database error 'session table is full"
Or something very similar is what I got every time over a two day/night span- that isn't on my end and rebooting here won't fix it. Slow loading might be local because we are on DSL. But lots of other sites were working just fine and loading normally.
I didn't check the traffic at the time because the site didn't load- but it is hard to believe it was traffic constantly at all hours of day and night. It's still slower than normal but at least I'm getting it to load.