Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rod Recommendation for Backcountry

The GT wilderness is a good hike. Google Big Whitney meadow. Mostly cute little fish, but if you walk to the bottom of the meadow where tribs braid together.......

Jim
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

My "backcountry" rod consists of an 8'4, 4 wt Echo Carbon XL, with a little bit extra length for making longer casts from the bank into lakes.

But, if moving water and bush whacking was on the menu, my true small water rod consists of a 7'6" 3wt Echo Carbon XL.

I shy away from expensive rods while bush whacking, for the obvious reasons. The Carbon XLs have lifetime warranties as well.

Post Re: Rod Recommendation for Backcountry

Quote Originally Posted by falconer57 View Post
    Others have mentioned various rods and I won't argue. But I have found in my adventures hiking into lakes here in the Bighorns that my 2 piece rod also functions as a hiking staff when in an aluminum rod case. I put a big glob of Sho-Goo on the bottom end of an older rod case with some cloth tape wrapped around near the top end. I think it's an old Fenwick rod tube but I fish with a 5wt Hexagraph. Anyone remember those?
    If all you have is a 2 piece I can see the argument here, but a rod case has a gawdawful swing weight compared to even the cheapest trekking poles, carbon poles are no contest. Not a big deal if you are strolling 1/4 mile to the stream, but definitely a big deal if you are hiking 4-8 mi to an alpine lake. I use a custom made ultralight plastic tube for my 4 piece that easily straps to my day pack or backpack. Let me know if you want one as I think I have a spare in the garage and I am also in the Bighorns. PS there are no fish here.

Quote Originally Posted by hiplainsdrifter View Post
    If all you have is a 2 piece I can see the argument here, but a rod case has a gawdawful swing weight compared to even the cheapest trekking poles, carbon poles are no contest. Not a big deal if you are strolling 1/4 mile to the stream, but definitely a big deal if you are hiking 4-8 mi to an alpine lake. I use a custom made ultralight plastic tube for my 4 piece that easily straps to my day pack or backpack. Let me know if you want one as I think I have a spare in the garage and I am also in the Bighorns. PS there are no fish here.
    Do you have plans for your plastic tube? I have always used the rod tube that came with my Clearwater, but I am trying to shed as much weight as I can for this big trip. Currently just planning on PVC.

Related Note: Last year I realized that I could stuff a surprising number of cigars into my rod tube for safe traveling without having to pack an extra case for them.

Blog Entries

I ended going with a walking case because I got tired of assembling and dis-assembling the rod.
    I'd put it away and walk a ways only to see another spot I needed to hit. I have many staffs of all kinds....
    I considered lighter material for the case, but this is sturdy enough to drop a pack on it and the rod is safe.
    So, I don't mind the swing weight.....good training is my attitude. Just switch arms for an even workout. HA.

Jim
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

6. Likes shaunsquid liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by shaunsquid View Post
    Do you have plans for your plastic tube? I have always used the rod tube that came with my Clearwater, but I am trying to shed as much weight as I can for this big trip. Currently just planning on PVC.

Related Note: Last year I realized that I could stuff a surprising number of cigars into my rod tube for safe traveling without having to pack an extra case for them.
    PMed you. Good thinking re: cigars. I use a light sunglass case for my pipe/baccy.

I backpack a fair bit to fish and really like my 4 piece 8' 3 weight fast action carbon flyrod. It will cast small and large dries well and has enough backbone to fish small lakes although I usually only fish the inlets/outlets. I carry it in its sack in a flourescent tube protector cut down to the right size with foam padding on the insides of the caps to cushion the ride. My whole fly kit weighs 1.25 pounds unless I start bringing lots more fly boxes.
    My best vacation is your worst nightmare. After all, it's only really fun if it is at least Type 2 fun.

9. Likes shaunsquid liked this post
    Blog Entries

My treks here in CO. require two rods. Two 4 piece rods/reels add minimal weight. I use a 3wt 6'6" for the creeks and a 4 or 5 8'6"/9 for the lakes; just depends on which I grab really. The 5, as usual for trout, is just a perfect default. I always hope for some stiff breezes to shatter that alpine mirror and if no breeze then a long leader. I would not enjoy casting a high profile dry in either of those conditions with the 3wt. So for me, two different types of water and conditions call for two different rods.

I added the Scott FS 6634 to my collection last Sept. Only fish it twice and I kick myself for not putting away my 3wt graphite years ago. Dad always says "Don't wish your life away" so I'll just say I'm looking forward to putting that rod into use.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123