Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Fair Netting Practices

I've lost browns right at my feet. Was I disappointed? A little. But I didn't have to handle the fish and more than that, my technique caught the fish. That's good enough for me. Unless I'm stranded out in the sticks and I needed that fish to eat.

Salmon in the rivers of Michigan it's almost mandatory to have a net man. I was spin fishing last fall and my line broke on 4-5 fish(got the feeling my line was junk and stopped fishing). That's a few fish that swam off with lures hanging out of their mouth, not good. Had I been with a friend, all those fish would have been landed quickly and any I wanted to release would live out their life. Even if I had good line, any fish landed would be toast and would probably die quickly of exhaustion.

2. Likes vaheelsfan liked this post

I certainly agree with fishing tackle which adequate for the fish you are most likely to catch. Here in East Tennessee, most of the Tailwaters that can carry holdover trout have a size slot limit. The slots vary by a few inches from river to river but most fall close to 14-20” slot or 16-22” slots. These slot have been in place for nearly 10 yrs, so as you might imagine, we actually have quite a few resident browns and rainbows in the upper end or exceeding the slot limit.

Before the slots went into effect, I frequently fished my then favorite Sage SLT 389-4, and my XP 490 felt like a stout rod! Now, I fish a 4wt only when it’s hatch time. Most days it is a strong 5wt or 6wt rod, even when midging. I always strive to keep the fight as brief as possible, net the fish, and release promptly! A big part of that process is having enough rod to wear that fish down fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Support your Local Flyshop!

4. Likes Bigfly, vaheelsfan liked this post

A lot of those you're seeing may be guides netting fish for clients. When I was guiding I learned that the longer the fish was on the more likely it was to get off. And you really want the client's fish in the net, especially on a slow day. It's risky though. If you muff it up you really look bad.
    Zackdog lives.

6. Likes Bigfly, vaheelsfan liked this post
    Blog Entries

I often team fish. When it is a large fish, we holler out....my buddy is always ready for me, as I am for him.
    I do not fish to feel the fight, it is about getting fatties in the net. Overplaying or breaking off is not cool. So we tag team them. We sometimes wait while the other guy fishes, so we are ready when it goes down. Bigger harder fighting fish with escape tactics polished, heavy current, small barbless hooks, all call for a plan ready to use. The more the fish runs, the worse for them. So we swing 'em towards shore and scoop first try....not chase them with a net. BTW it helps if if don't show them the net till suddenly they're in it! The older fish know exactly what feet, or a net means.
    You may also notice net handles are prefered longer these days and bigger as well.......it's kind of an arms race. The better we get at hooking them, the better they get at escape.

Jim
    Last edited by Bigfly; 02-11-2020 at 05:18 PM.

8. Likes vaheelsfan, rfb700 liked this post

I usually fish without net support anywhere near. Not a big deal if I don't land the fish. The trick is in the take. The tug is fun and I like it to last a while but it doesn't need to end with a fish in hand for me.

10. Likes myt1, vaheelsfan liked this post
    Blog Entries

Having someone handy to net a fish is nice. The faster the better. Not a single guy I fish with would ever wade into the hole to net my fish. Of course I also know how to fight a fish to me or them. I agree with the possibility of the netter being a guide doing the fish a favor, as an amateur is at the reel, or helping his tip. Then it is YouTube. Full of the crème de la crème of the flyfishing world. So take 99.999% with a grain of salt; completely unworthy of any analysis.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

12. Likes vaheelsfan, Bigfly liked this post

I fish like I would in an event, so thats no netting fish for my partner or letting my partner net my fish for me as thats against majority of event rules. Outside of that I see no issue with letting someone net a fish for you

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cast yourself, catch your own, net your own, and release your own. I even photograph my own when the urge strikes and conditions permit. And please, keep the hollering down to a minimum. "The Quiet Sport" is dying.

15. Likes WildTroutDFO, dillon liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12