Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fair Netting Practices

Winter has finally set in and I've been watching some YouTube videos of other people fishing since it's cold, rainy, and all of the local streams are a mess. One thing that I've noticed on some of them is the way people net fish when they have a partner to do the netting for them. Usually one person will hook up with a fish, proclaim it's a really nice one, and the second person wades out into the stream and nets the fish before it's anywhere close to the angler who hooked it. I guess as far as not overplaying the fish it isn't a bad idea. Personally, I wouldn't really feel like I landed a fish if, within seconds of me hooking it, someone else was wading into the stream to net it before it had a chance to unhook itself. I assume some of this may be guides ensuring clients actually get a good fish in the net but I don't know for sure. What are everyone else's thoughts?

2. Likes jigsup liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fair Netting Practices

Careful what you ask for, I wrote this long ago regarding my own experiences > Netting Fish

I have long thoughts

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

The sooner the fish is netted, the better all around, especially for the fish.

Back around 1660 or so, Charles Cotton observed (in the fly fishing appendix to The Compleat Angler) that if you can afford to fish for leisure, you can surely afford to hire a man to work the net for you. Although I don't think that the affordability part of it is still true today, the implication that having someone else do your netting for you was perfectly acceptable and sporting. I don't think that has changed in the intervening years.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    The sooner the fish is netted, the better all around, especially for the fish.
    Completely agree
    The addiction all began on the Cimmaron River in New Mexico...

6. Default Re: Fair Netting Practices

I also agree to a quick net both salt and fresh whenever possible. Better for the fish...salt sharks and fresh Steel in cold water.

Blog Entries

By the way I edited the opening on that blog article. Better proof reading would help to avoid such blunders.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Thanks for the replies! I do agree that landing a fish as soon as possible is the best thing to do. Not sure that completely meshes with having someone wade into the middle of a river to net a fish within seconds of it being hooked though. Iíve always been of the belief that if youíre practicing C&R, your gear should match the fish youíre targeting and should be capable of landing a fish without it being exhausted to the point itíll likely die. Just something I wanted to get other peopleís opinions on because itís something Iíve never seen done or considered doing myself and wasnít sure if it was a really common practice in the world of large trout or not.

9. Likes hairwing530, lightline liked this post

For me, a lot of the fun and allure of fishing, especially with a fly rod is playing the fish. I fish with gear that matches the fish I'm going for, so I can force the issue at times to get the upper hand. I want to feel the fish fight.

I've seen videos like that too and I've seen it on the river, I think it usually shows you have an inexperienced fishermen, an inexperienced net man, or both. If you know how to fight a fish properly and push it hard it's highly unlikely that it will be ready for the net when it's far from you. An experienced net man knows that you should be close to the angler, so when the fish starts to tire the angler will be able to control the fish and can move the fish towards the net. It's usually inexperienced guys that you see wading out, chasing a fish with the net.

Iím too selfish to allow others to net my fish. I enjoy the full experience of hooking, playing and (sometimes) landing wild trout and steelhead. However, if S&S is around he may take a (wet) photograph...

Wading into the middle of a stream to prematurely land A big fish is likely for fear of losing it. Personally, Iím not afraid of losing a fish. It does, as it should, happen...

Fifty years ago, when I was tryin to land my first summer steelhead, a friend, tired of watching me previously lose several, waded into the middle of the stream and grabbed my hatchery fish by the gills several seconds after It was hooked. Then brought it to the bank and bonked it. I was happy to have the prize, but felt like I had missed out...

13. Likes lightline liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast