Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Line curl

Default Re: Line curl

Thanks for the explanation, Silver Creek. In my defence I was thinking of Spey casting down and across (no mention of upstream dry fly in the op). I understand completely now but was stuck in my own little world. Cheers.

2. Likes silver creek liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Chessman View Post
    Thanks for the explanation, Silver Creek. In my defence I was thinking of Spey casting down and across (no mention of upstream dry fly in the op). I understand completely now but was stuck in my own little world. Cheers.
    Since the OP used a line winder to remove the line from his reel, there should have been no line twist and no coiling if there was not line twist when the line was on the reel. So I assumed that roll casting is how the curls developed, because it often happens to me also when fishing in small streams with overhead cover.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

4. Thanks Lewis Chessman thanked for this post

silver creek, your posts got me a thinkin' and here's what I thunk.
    It's been 8 years now since I loch fished regularly from a drifting boat. It's something I was introduced to as a child with the advice given to occasionally run the line out of the back as you rowed or motored between drifts. I knew it was to "get rid of twists" - and also meant a chance of a fish on the troll - but it was received wisdom and I really hadn't thought further about it over the years.
    When loch-style drifting one will often raise the rod high as the boat drifts towards the flies, dibbling the top dropper enticingly for as long as possible. The rod ends up so high the line must be roll cast out or to the side before an overhead cast could be made. And on a loch there's no current to remove the resultant half twist.
    And if you're a right handed rod with your arm 'on the inside', rather than cast over the oarsman's head, or risk a mid-cast tangle with the other rod, it's 'courteous' to roll cast off the left shoulder, outside the boat, so that is near-total roll casting through the session.
    The penny has finally dropped.
    Live and learn, huh? Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12