Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  24
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Fishing with your dog?

Took my dog with me once when fishing for Kings. The trip lasted about 15 minutes as I was fishing small water and every time the dog saw a fish, he jumped into the water to chase it. Never again.

2. Default Re: Fishing with your dog?

Quote Originally Posted by springcreek View Post
    Took my dog with me once when fishing for Kings. The trip lasted about 15 minutes as I was fishing small water and every time the dog saw a fish, he jumped into the water to chase it. Never again.
    I have a Lab, this was my experience too. Can't keep little buddy out of the water!!

I'm a dog lover. I have two dogs, three until about a year ago. They do not go fishing with me; just wouldn't work. I agree with an earlier post that most people think their dogs are better behaved than they are. I have had friendly dogs chase my line, jump up on me for attention, swim out in the water I'm fishing, etc., usually while their owners are nowhere to be seen. It's a minor annoyance, but still an annoyance. Unless your dog is at your side constantly, and you can keep it under control at all times, probably best to leave them home.
    "Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job" ~ Paul Schullery

4. Likes Txbart, Ard, flybri2 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    What a beautiful friend you have!

The only way to know how things will work is to go. If he hangs around and doesn't chase things you will have a good companion. I've fished with dogs for roughly 40 years of my fishing life, two took training because they were sporting dogs. They both thought we should look for grouse while along a stream. In time they learned to stay near. I think that those not from gun dog lines are better, those developed for security are best because their job is to guard you not to wander. It'll be a year on March 15 that I said goodby to my fishing pal of almost 14 years, we had some good times.

We did it all, I hope your boy works out because the memories you'll have of your experiences will be priceless.
    My Australian Shepherd has been walking Vermont streams and rivers with me for 2 years now. She is a wonderful companion. Your story hit my heart. I am sorry for your loss.

6. Thanks Ard thanked for this post

This happens every time they hear the boat being hooked up. Nobody is going to leave without them!

4BF8E8E7-C783-4AB4-B888-EE7BCB682C1B.jpg

Rudy is the lookout. Harley just hangs under the console.

0A285F48-89EC-47EA-A949-E64AA688E9A7.jpg

8. Likes Ard, pickadrake, driftless22 liked this post

I take my dog all the time. I am not a “ purist” and take my fishing very casual. I walk my dog a lot and along the way have discovered ponds and lakes that hold carp,Bass, bluegill, trout, but the carp are what I have focused on, so much funner to fish ( hunt). I will fish along the walk for a few hours most days, when the carp are up shallow of course. The others have become my “ trash” fish now, and I don’t even consider them a catch anymore. When she gets impatient we move on. This damn snow has got to go, I am chomping at the bit here.

I admit to being a little jealous of those people with dogs that are truly great fishing companions. Most of my dogs haven't even liked the water.

As much as I love dogs, my best animal companion while fishing has to be a very special friend from my last remote fishing trip, "Beer Donkey."
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Likes jdwy, pickadrake, flybri2, fr8dog, Jamaicadiver liked this post

apologies for the double photo, but I can't figure out how to remove the extra one...

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I admit to being a little jealous of those people with dogs that are truly great fishing companions. Most of my dogs haven't even liked the water.

As much as I love dogs, my best animal companion while fishing has to be a very special friend from my last remote fishing trip, "Beer Donkey."
    Well my last Blue Heeler and my present Border Collie like me, but couldn't care less about the water. Don't think they know dogs can swim. LOVE your Beer Donkey, he'd come in real handy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

And who couldn't use a 'beer donkey' every once and a while
    Jeff

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234