Interfering Adds

jdwy

Reaction score
I can't find the older post complaining about excessive adds but I just had this happen. I've already got an add covering 4" on the right of the screen. Then right in the middle of replying to a post another add pops up next to the right hand one that covers A THIRD OF THE REPLY WINDOW I'm trying to type on. I "X" it out in the upper right and another one appears (same size) asking if I already own this product. It's also blocking the reply window. After a few seconds if finally disappears.
On Edit: I just got another one after finishing this post and posting it that blocked almost 1/2 of the General Discussion page for a number of seconds.

jayr

Reaction score
I had those issues as well.

Get an ad blocker, they're free. They work. Problem solved.

el jefe

Reaction score
Ads now encroach from the bottom, and from the right. The view of the actual website is getting smaller each day, and it's becoming such a pain in the arse that it makes the experience here on the forum rather unpleasant and undesirable. Sometimes I just give up and log out.

jdwy

Reaction score
I had those issues as well.

Get an ad blocker, they're free. They work. Problem solved.
I don't know, I tried an add blocker years ago and there were negative effects it caused. Can't remember now but it turned out to be more trouble than what it was worth putting up with. Maybe they've improved.

jayr

Reaction score
I don't know, I tried an add blocker years ago and there were negative effects it caused. Can't remember now but it turned out to be more trouble than what it was worth putting up with. Maybe they've improved.

Yes, they've improved.

If you do have issues with one, try another. There are many of them to try.

I use AdGuard, works like a charm.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Me too and this is new over the past several days I think. And the adds are irrelevant non fishing content. Annoying.
The ads are based on other things you have looked at online. For example, if you have been shopping for a Valentine's Day gift for your wife, you'll start seeing ads from florists, chocolatiers, Victoria's Secret, Ferrari dealer, whatever, depending on your searches. You can alleviate it a little by using ad blockers, clearing cookies and searches, and other measures, but they know what you are up to. The Borg can't be defeated, resistance is futile.

Not sure if it is related, but a problem I have been having is that if I am in the middle of typing a message and the screen refreshes, my work is lost. I have to type in a text editor and then copy it to the forum to be sure I don't lose it.

el jefe

Reaction score
I don't mind the ads; they support the site. I get that, so I have some reservations about blocking the ads. But now they are encroaching on the Reply boxes, the thread titles, everything. If they would just stay to the side and maybe a banner across the top, fine. But the sides have grown larger, ads are growing up from the bottom, ads are plastered across site content. That I would think would interest the site owners, as the experience in the last week has become cumbersome and irritating.

duker

Reaction score
I use Adblocker Plus for the Safari browser and it works like a charm.

I realize that hosting ads does pay for the site, but I find there's a point when they're just too damn intrusive and interfere with my use of the forum. I'd gladly pay the site a reasonable yearly fee to enjoy it ad-free.

Scott

trev

Reaction score
Not sure if it is related, but a problem I have been having is that if I am in the middle of typing a message and the screen refreshes, my work is lost. I have to type in a text editor and then copy it to the forum to be sure I don't lose it.
It must be related, it started the same day, and every time the ad changes the page refreshes, some times my reply is lost and sometimes not.
Just doesn't make for a great experience.
yeppers

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Adblocker plus works but bogs down my MacBook too much, and then I started getting pop up messages, NOT FROM HERE saying turn off Adblock to keep reading, I`m screwing them out of money for the site as they get paid by people seeing their ads.

I stopped adblocker, computer runs better, I'm not screwing my favorite sites out of ad money. Part of the deal to keep the doors open I guess.

This place is not bad, go to speypages ro some of the others, they put ads on your shared pictures.

proheli

Reaction score
I'm using Brave just for this site. Problem solved. I have an Imac so it works on Mac too.

I got AdGuard for Safari and it worked well too, not as good as Brave, but good. Then i changed a setting and it stopped working, lol. But at least I have it on brave now.

On my Iphone and Ipad, I have and ad blocker and that is rediculous, because exactly half the page is blank and the other half is the forum. All of the Forum contents are jammed into 1/2 of a vertical Iphone screen. So silly. But on the Ipad I can expand the screen enough and then it is very stable and works fine.

JDR

Reaction score
The ads are based on other things you have looked at online.
I know this is how it is supposed to work, but ads I have been seeing are 180 degrees from my political beliefs. Maybe it is a contrarian organization with an asymmetrical advertising plan that has money to burn. I too resorted to an ad blocker this week. (WIPR)

karstopo

Reaction score
I run an ad blocker on my iPad, but browse on the computer without any blocker. I must be the only one that doesn’t even see the advertising and couldn’t tell you anything about what was being pushed.

The advertising on my computer version of the forum appear in the same spots over and over again so I just don’t look there. There must have been a reason I ran an ad blocker on my iPad, but I can’t remember why I did. I definitely get ads on other sites and pages, so it must be a limited ad blocker.

Alexa probably hears what we talk about because I get an email pushing whatever it was we talked about., but any search engine search also seems to trigger tailor made ads. It’s hard to believe almost any advertising works as intended because doesn’t everyone realize the advertising is being done by people very biased towards whatever it is they are selling?