Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default why did you quit fishing bamboo????

I read so many guys switching to bamboo and preaching the virtues of a slower tempo but I was wondering how many guys here who used to really enjoy fishing bamboo have switched to graphite almost exclusively, and why?

2. Likes JDR liked this post

Default Re: why did you quit fishing bamboo????

Pretty hard to catch a fish with your fly in the air

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4. Thanks okaloosa thanked for this post
    Likes pheldozer liked this post

I'm actually going the other direction. I still like graphite and won't leave it completely, but bamboo to me is just plain fun, traditional, and I like the feel of it in every way. Graphite doesn't have that same feel, but it has it's purpose too.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

6. Thanks okaloosa thanked for this post

I fish both graphite and a little bamboo. Both are fantastic materials when suited to a purpose. The key is to discern the characteristics and attributes the materials lend to the rod for the intended function. If your rod does not flex suitably for its intended purpose, it doesn't matter much which material constitutes the rod; the fisherman will find the rod is lacking. I think Tom Morgan made this point in one of his articles years ago, and it still holds true today.
    finem respice
    Tom Morgan :::
    "I would say there is quite a bit of crossover in that a good rod is a good rod is a good rod. What you are really looking at are attributes and characteristics.... I have really strong convictions that you need to make a rod that is going to fish for Trout in the 20 to 55 foot range. If it doesn't really bend or flex for that, then you have got the wrong rod. So with any one of the materials the characteristics of the rod in my opinion should still be the same."

I for one never really switched to graphite
    As for bamboo, I feel a little self-conscious when I fish my cane rods. A bit pretentious for me.
    I'm fine with my old fiberglass.
    Last edited by Rip Tide; 02-22-2020 at 03:43 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Bamboo was before my time, Glass was the rod of choice when I was a little kid in the late 70`s. I still fish and love Glass.

I like bamboo I`m friends with Dave Norling and he builds fine cane rods for the rivers I fish, and switch rods too but I dont like bamboo enough to drop big coin on a decent rod. I`m not even sure I get bamboo? Ok I dont, I think glass is way better in every way for a slow to moderate fly rod, and graphite was a superior improvement to glass.

I fly fish a lot, way more than most, and for the fleeting chances I can fly fish (I can never fish as much as I want) I just dont see a bamboo being a first choice to fish, I`d probably throw it in the truck but decide not to use it, normally wind is the major factor in rod, line choice and size for me.

Thats my opinion, from a younger guy that got in after the bamboo era, I would think that the older cats would be totally in love with and all nostalgic for bamboo.

10. Likes scotty macfly, higby5 liked this post

I didn’t want to break a rod worth couple of thousand dollars. I have a Winston 8ft 5# that I will consider fishing on a big river like the Henry’s.

Quit bamboo? Ain't gonna happen.
    Bob

13. Likes tcorfey, ts47 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post
    Thats my opinion, from a younger guy that got in after the bamboo era, I would think that the older cats would be totally in love with and all nostalgic for bamboo.
    Once you get older you will understand that nostalgia isn't all that it is cracked up to be.

Blog Entries

Bamboo rods are fine fishing rods I have 5 of them and each has it's own realm of use. Due to the fact that Alaska lends itself better to 2 hand rods my cane collection doesn't see the use it did in the lower 48 but they still get out a bit. Last summer it was the 8 foot 6 weight on a grayling trip. When I go to a small stream and don't fear a salmon lying unseen I use my little flea rod.

Sometimes people wonder about strength and ability to handle fish.

That's my 8 weight Light Salmon and those will bend your graphite rods too. For a sense of scale the distance from the winding check to the screw down ring is ten inches, their heads were ten inches long by the looks of it, they are big ones. And I've already had to land 2 Silver Salmon on my flea rod because I had no idea they were in the creek until they were on the fly. 6 1/2 foot 3 weight and I hate losing my fancy flies so I got my fly back and let them go unharmed.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast