Supporting the fly fishing industry during this time

taylorreels

Reaction score
Hey Forum Family,

One of things I love most about the fly fishing industry is the strong sense of community that we share. My fishing buddies include Republicans and Democrats, men and women, Americans and friends abroad. We as a community care deeply about our favorite brands, our favorite fishing towns, and our favorite stretches of water. Yesterday I got off the phone with one of our top dealers. He was panicked not because of the Coronavirus itself but because the local government just closed all state parks which includes most of the prime fishing waters in New Mexico. Without access to waters this could be a challenging season for many within the industry. With the heart of fly fishing season right in front of us, I feel strongly that this is a prime time to support the industry.

I want to kindly ask that you support your support your favorite brands right now by continuing to buy things, support your favorite guide by pre-booking a trip in advance even if it’s not until the fall, support your local shop by buying tying materials, hooks, or even a new rod and reel. If you have the resources now is a great time to help the industry by continuing to make purchases, even if your stuck indoors...

Thanks,

Matthew Taylor
Owner of Taylor Fly Fishing

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm doing the best I can from here Matt, last week I took delivery of $300.00 worth of Pro Sportfisher tubes and components and I'm now waiting for a hair shipment Arctic Fox and a bunch of hooks. Unfortunately it appears that my big June trip is in the hopper and I'll have zero bookings for Kings. They say every dark cloud has a silver lining so provided I don't contract a virus that kills me between now and June I'll have plenty of time to put the hooks to the Kings :)

moucheur2003

Reaction score
With any luck the peak of the epidemic will have passed by midsummer and we can save some of the fishing season. Fingers crossed! :pray2::fishing:

fatbillybob

Reaction score
With any luck the peak of the epidemic will have passed by midsummer and we can save some of the fishing season. Fingers crossed! :pray2::fishing:
Well...Why can't we just go fishing? I want social distancing for that! Am I a knob for taking a vacation while the world is burning? If I lived in Florida I'd be fishing my guts out. Unfortunately I live in SoCal and 90% of everything is shut down. Fuel is plentiful and no one is flying. I'm thinking of just driving to a fishy state montana, wyoming etc and just go fishing. I'll support local business along the way, practice social distancing, and get a vacation. I fish these states every year but never this early in the season so for all I know there is snow everywhere?

srock

Reaction score
I plan to continue buying fly fishing things on line although I will miss the cammaradarie of the shop. I also agree that I plan to fish during this outbreak in the context of being outside and away from everybody. I think fishing is one activity that should involve very low corona virus transmission. The key is to not fish close to other people, which most fly fishers do anyway. Best, SR

trev

Reaction score
Really sensible on the part of that government to close down the out of doors for a virus that is usually contracted indoors. Probably should close the Interstate highways too.
Good luck to you, not so many will have funds for disposal when missing work to care for out of school children and missing work altogether because of shutdowns. My concern is will we be able to buy groceries next week or next month. Prices are already up and shelves are empty. So ...

jdwy

Reaction score
It's going to be interesting, my town is supposed to be a ranching and farming town but it's turned more and more into a tourist trap. Main street downtown stores for the most part are filled with gaudy, trivial, superfluous ****. The county health officer is on the verge of telling all non-critical stores to close since a lady near here just tested positive. Dental offices are taking emergency patients only.
I also agree that I plan to fish during this outbreak in the context of being outside and away from everybody.
Me too if it ever warms up, 27° right now and windy at 11AM. Yesterday was 50°, sunny, no wind, went out for a couple hours and didn't get a bite, but got to try my new SA line and fairly new rod.

taylorreels

Reaction score
Really sensible on the part of that government to close down the out of doors for a virus that is usually contracted indoors. Probably should close the Interstate highways too.
Good luck to you, not so many will have funds for disposal when missing work to care for out of school children and missing work altogether because of shutdowns. My concern is will we be able to buy groceries next week or next month. Prices are already up and shelves are empty. So ...
Stay strong ��! This won't last forever. I understand some people are suffering and don't have the cash right now. I am encouraging those who have a stable income to continue supporting the industry.

patrick62

Reaction score
I dropped $187 at my local fly shop yesterday on basics. Oh and a new little fiberglass rod that I don't need but will definitely use. Used it yesterday as a matter of fact.

I was going to do it anyway but it seemed like an appropriate moment.

bob3700

Reaction score
Supported my local fly shop, purchased a new Galvin Torque T-6 reel, new SA line and pack of leaders. We are fortunate to have two local fly shops and I always support them. I do use some internet suppliers but not very often.

Bob

Longs for Cutts

Reaction score
Remember your guides and outfitters when things start to return to normal, too. This is probably hitting us hardest of anybody in the industry. My wife and I are planning for the trips I had Tues-Weds to be the only trips I have this season. Bookings were looking great as of March 1, too...

dennyk

Reaction score
My favorite fly shop is closed to walk in traffic, however they are offering curb side pick up for their customers. I don't have need for anything at the moment but I'm sure I'll be giving them a call to meet curb side in the near future.

Denny

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
At the end of every April for the past 9 years, I host a group of PHWFF veteran participants for a 3 day outing out of the West Branch Anglers on the upper Delaware. The membership of the local American Legion Post and the staff and guides of the Resort are hugely involved.

This would have been our 10th anniversary but yesterday, it grieves me to say, I had no choice but to cancel the trip.

My wife and I are self quarantining and not socializing except by Zoom but still plan on driving up to the River, practicing some social distancing and I assure you, I will fish my Taylor Truth and Revolution Z.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Local fly shop Mend is delivering anything fly tying/fly fishing related across the metro area, Free delivery, so we won't run out of stuff.

People are doing group fly tying on zoom and the like, we could too. The forum could set up something. I`d be in for sure.

Stay happy and healthy boys, we will have the sun and wind in our face again soon. Help out anyone in need, do what you can.

My steelhead trip is cancelled along with lots of invitations to go fishing since I`m one of the few still employed and I`m just staying home.

rfb700

Reaction score
Southeastern Ontario, Canada (armpit of the trout
I ordered a rod and some line from my "local" fly shop. We dont actually have one here but I buy online from small shops that will ship to me.

I unfortunately have decided to cancel my Spring trip as I dont think travel is wise at this time, even within my own province.

And to be honest, since my wifes business shut down, money needs to go elsewhere. I am working from home now and crossing my fingers my shop doesnt shut down.

My one consolation is Im 5 minutes from a river I can fish for Smallies when the season opens. Looking forward to social distancing on the river.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

69texaseyes

Reaction score
I hope. Season here in WI starts May. Hard to get exited about fishing at the moment. Purchases I have been saving for will no longer happen unless April goes well for our country.

69texaseyes

Reaction score
Remember your guides and outfitters when things start to return to normal, too. This is probably hitting us hardest of anybody in the industry. My wife and I are planning for the trips I had Tues-Weds to be the only trips I have this season. Bookings were looking great as of March 1, too...
If my June Utah vacation falls through and it might, looking at a Christian ranch in Montana that runs a 4 day church/fishing getaway in September.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Not sure whether this applies but, I did tell the Ranch in Montana to keep my paid trip money and the shop in Ennis to hold the Scott G884 / Abel TR I had ordered, for when I return eventually.

I just didn’t have the heart to take that money back from either, as there are dark days ahead.

I

ikankecil

In thinking about the health of some of the fly businesses I rely on, I've spent more in the last ten days than I have in the last ten years on rods/reels/materials/lines/etc. My UPS guy (who also fishes) knows the names of the vendors on the packages that are arriving and is a bit shocked at this point. As is my wife :shocked:

The flipside is that now that I have all of this, I won't be needing anything for a very long time.

brokeoff

Reaction score
Ordered from someone else's local fly shop today. Maybe a little too much!