Down Size?

Reaction score
In an attempt to down size.. I am combining fly box's of like genera IE.. Beatis ..Caddis..Stone.. Eggs & Bacon.. Streamer... Dry(big box)..etc
I used to arrange my box's to a particular river/s I.E... Colorado (Williams Fork) Colorado (Dotsero)..Blue ..Dream ..Chees..Grey Reef..etc..

How do the rest of you arrange your Box?(there is a huge joke their but I ain't touching it) :D
Just curious..and somebody posted a pick of an ubber cool bug made of weight and pink stuff but for the life of me I cant find it!!
Here's my "Ice Breaker"

Sorry Camera phone best I gots right now
Steve

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been downsizing for over 20 years now and somehow I ended up with more boxes, flies, reels, and rods then I had when I began the effort. I should run a Government Huh? :shades:

Ard

mikel

Reaction score
Some guys have a "day box" that they fill each morning or evening with what they need, and that's what they haul to the water. I carry a box each of nymphs, dries, streamers/buggers and a wallet containing nymphs and midges in size 20 and smaller.

If I tied it would be different...I carry enough bugs with me for several days fishing or multiple trips all the time...

Ard...your stuff is probably all clean and in working condition. That would never do in a governmental environment...

-Mike

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
DOK: If you figure this one out, please let me know, I have struggled with this issue for years!:D

Larry

ant

Reaction score
This is my New Years Resolution! After unpacking my vest in the fall and pulling out 8 different boxes, 7 of which I forgot I had, I am (or at least my intent is:eek:) to only carry one box on any given outing.

I even went so far and get one of the new Simms boxes with the removable inserts, so that I can organize by waters/fish and just pop them in and out.

Or at least this all sounds great in theory....

yatahey

Reaction score
Since I got the Allen CF knock off fly box that holds up to over 1200 flies I have no problem stuffing about everything I need in it. I do have a small box for tiny midges and a CF two side box for small dries. And that about rounds it up. Except of course for my DOK inspired bead storage box that contains small individual boxes that hold overflow midges (extras). Oh yeah...and my version of the Cliff's Bugger Barn that holds all my streamers. Yeah...that's it.

Jimmie

Reaction score
It's sort of nice to hear it's not just me. The only box that makes sense in my arsenal is a stillwater box; damsel nymphs, callabaetis nymphs, etc. I've got boxes witrh all dries-all nymphs-all foam flies-streamers. It's like a holding pattern that has to be moved to something else to take to the fishing spot. Oh, and then moved back. It gets frustrating. Hope to get some good ideas from you guys.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
The number of fly boxes seem to keep growing, then shrinking, then growing... I have both water specific and bug specific boxes. From time to time, I reorganize them. After the reorganizations, a few boxes end up empty. Those empties usually become my day boxes. Sometimes I'll put some older flies in them and give them away. Last year, I gave away a general trout box that had some flies that I hardly touched to one of my newbie friends. He didn't realize that he had over $200 in flies until his brother told him so.

MP

Last edited:
O

okuma

Ok. here is what I use (for now)
box 1...dries...trout only.
box 2... nymphs, eggs, worm patterns...trout, carp, steelies,smallies
box 3... dark streamers... trout, steelies, smallies, walleye, sauger,pike
box 4... light streamers... white bass, hybrid bass,gar

bjweller

Reaction score
This is a funny post for me because how I arrange my boxes (yeah, that does sound weird) changes about once a year. Currently I have a small box hanging from my lanyard with the flies I think I will need that day, and a larger box in my pack with flies that I might need that day, or that I might need if I go to Russia that day. Then I have about four boxes at home with residual flies I tied arranged roughly in the following way:

Streamers
Nymphs
Dries
Experimental or don't fit in the other categories.

Thanks for the post.

Bret

axle27

Reaction score
Box 1 - Terrestrials (for late summer and bassin')
Box 2 - Dries (mostly traditional)
Box 3 - Dries (mostly parachutes)
Box 4 - Streamers/bass poppers
Box 5 - Wets/midges (smaller box)

Sad thing is I'm running outta room. I have a dozen eggs/san juan worms and a dozen humpies that have no home!

JoJer

Reaction score
What a coinkydink: I just rearranged all my boxes a couple of weeks ago. The dry box was a mess and the hackles on the larger ones were getting squashed. Also there were a lot of bugs in there from long ago that were really UGLY.
So, now I have drys, nymphs, stones, streamers, one box each large and small. Come summer, I'll find a deeper box for those big buggy drys.
And since I'll end up with flies from the turkey swap AND the nymph swap, I'll probably have to find a bigger box for those.
Part of the problem is that I'm not fishing enough. I'm a guy who thinks that there's a fish under every log. I'm a sucker for a log jam or a sweeper. I gotta fish 'em to a froth, till the logs got more feathers on it than a duck. I should be out losing flies like crazy. Then I would have plenty of room in the boxes.

gt05254

Reaction score
I love threads like this. They give me the opportunity to laugh at myself all over again for a variety of reasons.
OK, this is what I take out in my boat for bass fishing:
[/IMG]

And this is what, invariably, I'll use all day, every time:
[/IMG]

But its comforting to know that I have lots of back up and other options. That's important, don't you think?
Yours in excess,
Gary

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Down size? DOWN SIZE? Good lord, man, whatever for??
[/IMG]

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
I have a mayfly box (its life cycles of any that I will encounter) , a caddis box, a still water/trrestrial/wet fly box (it is a huge box), a streamer box , a smelt fly box , a salmon fly box (this is also huge and bulging might need another:p).

I carry the mayfly, caddis, and still water boxes, always
If I remember Ill take the smelt fly box when Im going to need it

Chris