NAFFF has been SOLD!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Press release/ announcement

Fish & Fly Hooks Another American Beauty

Fish & Fly Ltd. (www.fishandfly.com) is pleased to announce the acquisition of the North American Fly Fishing Forum (NAFFF), one of the leading fly-fishing forums in the USA (www.theflyfishingforum.com)

“I am delighted that Fish & Fly have acquired my site, Steve Robbins founder of NAFFF, said. I have enjoyed developing the forum into one of the leading fly- fishing sites in the USA and think that now is the time for the business to move to a stronger umbrella such as Fish & Fly where it can reach its full potential. I would like to especially thank Frank Whiton and his team of moderators and the forum members, regulars and visitors, who all contribute so much to this thriving community."

Fish & Fly Chairman Richard Hewitt added: "The NAFFF site fits perfectly with our proposed launch of www.fishandflyusa.com and our acquisition of Fish&Fly Magazine. This also demonstrates our commitment to build a substantial global fishing community and to offer a leading resource to that community and also our trade members. We are also very pleased to welcome the additional ecommerce capability via the Fly Forum Shop with leading brands such as Sage, Simms, and Redington—an area we plan to develop. The forum’s extensive fishing reporting facilities will also be of great interest to our existing membership worldwide. Frank Whiton will continue his highly respected moderation of the forum section and is a most welcome addition to the Fish & Fly team."

Frank Whiton added “NAFFF has grown into a premium forum for Fly Fishers of all abilities and interest. It has been my pleasure working with the great Moderators and Members of NAFFF. Now we will be entering a new era with a broader range of members. The Members of NAFFF will be glad to know that great people have purchased NAFFF with very positive and exciting plans. We won’t be just a Fly Fishing Forum but a community of like minded friends working for the common interest of all Fly Fishers.”

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Welcome to Fish & Fly,
You are taking the reins of the best flyfishing forum on the web. I for one look forward to what you may bring to the forum for future growth.

Steve,
Thank you for giving birth to the forum and allowing it to become what it is today.
I hope you will stick around and continue to be a force in what this forum will become.

John.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I am surprised that there is not more discussion about the sale.

Eric, I don't know about the name. My guess is that it won't for a while but could happen in the future. It all depends on plans yet to be determined. NAFFF does have an opportunity to offer ideas. I will make every attempt to keep the NAFFF Members appraised with what is happening as it develops.

The new owners really are good guys and they are all fly fishers. I see nothing but positive things happening to NAFFF because of the sale.

Frank

Coloradokid

Reaction score
This is very interesting, i can only see positve changes if any. They must see a great future for this site if it was purchased.
I guess time will tell.:eek::eek:

MacFly55

Reaction score
two big sites.. larger audience.. more and varied input on all topics.. this has to be a win win situation for everyone.. at least I would think so...

MacFly

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I sincerely believe that the purchase of NAFFF is going to be a big PLUS. We should expect to see more articles and reviews. We will have the backing to make the site even better than it is today. This forum is about its members and how to help people be better fly fishers. The Super Moderators are here to help and we (moderators) don't want to see the site lose its personal and friendly aspect. I hope you will all like what the future brings.

I think this thread is a good place to discuss any concerns you may have. I have received some PMs about the sale so I know there is a level of apprehension about the sale. Discussion the sale is the best way to calm any fears or concerns. So, if you have any questions please don't be bashful.

Frank

BigCliff

Reaction score
I also think it is going to be a big plus. Fish and Fly has always been a classy magazine that is better than average at getting to the essence of this sport and what matters to its participants. I think their fine taste showed again in their purchase of this forum.

fishosopher

Reaction score
Congratulations to Fish & Fly for showing excellent judgement in keeping Frank and the other moderators. Their comments do much more that provide expert information and advice; they set a welcoming and accepting tone for the forum that encourages the rest of us to participate.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Frank,
I know this is a bit off-topic but......
You mention 'Super Moderators' and 'Moderators'....What is the difference in the two?

With more backing and growth for the forum do you think it will be possible someday to have a 'Chatroom'?

I would love to be able to have a real conversation with many of the folks from here, or several at once. :icon_bigg

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Fysh,

NAFFF only has Super Moderators so there is no difference between moderators and Super Moderators.

Hmmm, the Chat Room. To have a chat room we need the software to be added to the NAFFF system. So first thing there is a cost involved in setting up the Chat Room.

Then you have to have someone responsible for setting up chats. This is a problem with a USA wide forum. What is a convenient time on the West cost is generally not convenient for the East coast. So scheduling is a problem. Next is how many people will use the Chat Room. On a Bass fishing forum I belonged to, they had a Chat Room. When a chat was scheduled only one or two people would show up. If other people have had a different experience with Chat Rooms then lets hear how it was used.

There is no way to pay for the Chat Room cost so we would be asking the owners to spend some money with no return. The only positive is it might make it a better forum. But, if it is not used it is wasted money.

Here are a couple of alternatives. Why not use the AOL or Yahoo AIM systems. I think Yahoo would let you set up a chat room for any topic. I don't know if they still do that or not.

Fysh, why don't you do a Poll and see how many people are interested in a Chat Room. You are the only one who has ever brought up the subject. If others don't want to participate then there is no use to even consider one.

Frank

BigCliff

Reaction score
Re: Chat Room

I suppose we could set up a poll to get lots of members takes. I'll say for one that I would not. I gots enough time currently eaten by the Interweb as is.

KRD

Reaction score
I have been involved in a lot of forums with a chat room. Very few are really used. I think if this site had one it would get a lot of traffic at first, but as with most other things, it will die off. Like Frank said, there are plenty of other place we could get together to chat.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Frank,
Just thought it might make a good site even better. I'll quite asking about it. Thanks.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Fysh,

Don't give up. It may be a good idea. I just don't think there is much interest in a Chat room. Maybe we can find a Sex Talk Chat room and meet there.:icon_bigg

Why don't you do a Poll and see if any members are interested for the long term. There are a lot of other things I would like to see for NAFFF but I am not a big fan of a Chat Room.

Frank

fyshstykr

Reaction score
No. that's ok Frank, I think if there was any interest in it then we would have heard some positive post saying so.

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
I believe eons ago during the initial inception of the NAFFF we had a Chat Room and it didn't go over very well then. Of course, with the new Chat Rooms that are available these days it may be different.

I look forward to what's to come. Steve has been a driving force to a great forum that I have enjoyed working on as an admin and posting on. I have learned a lot from both sides. I suspect this forum to continue to grow by leaps and bounds.

Thanks,
Terry