Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Odd looking trout...

Ahh, I didn't notice that. Thanks Ard!!!!
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

2. Likes Ard liked this post

I've seen a few hatchery trout and salmon with similar, weird looking spine deformations over the years. Looks like a hatchery fish to me (worn tail and dorsal, and pasty colors no wild brown would ever have), so things like that can be expected.

Thanks for all the comments and info everyone.

I will say the fish of this creek run the gamut of colors.

First photo taken yesterday. Second last year October.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Q: How many turns on a whip finish? A: "Enough to cover your mistakes" - AK Best

Blog Entries

I'm no taxonomy expert but would venture to say both are from Loch Leven back grounds. I never owned a digital camera when I lived in brown trout country and so have almost zero photos of the Von Behr strain but.......

I have a few I scanned years ago, generally much more color than the Loch Leven fishs.

None of those images demonstrate it but the real tell tale physical detail on a Vom Behr adult is often the presence of a blood red adipose fin. That was the case with them in many places where I fished for and caught them.

Been a long time since those were taken, I don't even recognize the guy holding the fish..... The point was that while they are all brown trout they are 2 distinct strains. Those German fish (Vom Behr) have a slightly different morphology as well as the pigment differences. The Loch Leven's are of as the name implies from the Scottish Highland lakes. If you've not read the history of the transport and introduction of these fish to North America it will make a good read during any down time you may be experiencing

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

6. Likes flyminded, ottosmagic13 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12