Will I get banned from the forum for this?

littledavid123

Reaction score
Ok, I admit that I am a newbie to the world of fly fishing and just bought Charlie Cravens book on fly tying. My german shepard is looking in from the back porch door and the cocker spaniel is sitting in my wifes lap and I'm thinking... Yeah you know where I am going with this. lol

Would anybody notice a snip or two of hair missing? Is this a breach of some archaic fly fishing law? And the question that worries me most, what if the fly is a huge hit with the trout, will my wife believe me when told that her cocker spaniel has mange???

Ok boys and girls I need to hear some confessions, please don't tell me that not one of you has ever considered this.

Dave

gt05254

Reaction score
In Keith Fulsher's last book, he names a couple flies after the dog's whose fur adorns the wing! Good enough for Keith, good enough for me.
Happy combing,
Gary

khl

Reaction score
I've got a cocker/golden retriever mix. One brush got enough under-fur for dubbing for about half a dozen flies.

I also clipped a bit of the overcoat for a tail a couple of times.

kai

Jimmie

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago our FF Club tying guru brought dubbing from his daughter's Golden Retriever. We all used it to tie the nymph pattern that he was showing us. It dubbed fairly well too.

darwin

Reaction score
You might want to seek help if you find yourself combing the kids pet hamster or house mouse :rolleyes:

littledavid123

Reaction score
Either I have been vindicated by acceptance or by the sheer number of deviants like myself...lol

Looks like I am really going to fit in with this crowd. :worthy:

Dave

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I make several flies I have to call The Boss because Boss is my dogs name. I don't post or talk about the fly because there is a steelhead pattern by the same name. Here's Boss the hair machine,

[/IMG]

Shane Stroud

Reaction score
I used to have a cat called a Turkish Van. They are unusual in that they swim. Yeah, a swimming cat. Who woulda thunk it? I just had to try that out. Wouldn't dub worth a hoot, but it was great as tail material for crease flies.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I make several flies I have to call The Boss because Boss is my dogs name. I don't post or talk about the fly because there is a steelhead pattern by the same name. Here's Boss the hair machine,

[/IMG]

YES! YES!! YES!!!! BAN!

Opps ...:sweatingb:eek::rain: Bad Person - My Bad :rain:

Fred?:eek: .. That's Ard.
:sorry::sorry::sorry::secret::secret:

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Last fall, a couple of girls came into the shop with a strange request. They asked me to tie a couple of flies with some of their own freshly cut hair. The flies were birthday gifts for their father. The parameters were that the flies had to be certain color combinations, and I had artistic license to do anything. I made a couple of classical Steelhead looking flies. I wish that I had pictures of them because they were some of the best works that I had done in a long time.

MP

Pocono

Reaction score
We had a Basset named "Daisy". When she blew her coat each Summer, I'd comb her out and collect the soft undercoat; a very light tan color (she was a mahogany and white Basset). I use it for bodies on light colored flies, like Cahills and Caddis. It's in a zip lock bag, marked "Daisy Dub". Every time I catch a fish on one of those flies, I say to myself, there's one for Daze! She was a great dog.

........guarding the house, as only a Basset can do it! ;)

Here are the new hounds; yup, just pups, but when they blow their coats this Summer, I'm already thinking of two more bags; one black and the other white. Meet "Bogie" and "Zoe"; taking me for a very early morning walk in Maine!

Nothing unusual for me about using pet fur to tie up flies.

Pocono

bjweller

Reaction score
A guy I know stops and picks up dead squirrels on the road. I assumed it was for fly tying, but have recently gotten the inclination that you might want to think twice about eating dinner at his house.

JoJer

Reaction score
I still have a wad of fur I brushed out of my Draathaar who passed 6 years ago. Great grey and red colors and very buggy.

bekiu002

Reaction score
Fur from an overweight black lab works great for dubbing, nymphs sink like a rock.
Cabot

colotrout

Reaction score
Like Chris,
I tied a fly with my son's hair. I managed to catch a nice 10-11" brown and I must say that probably was one of his proudest moments in life!