Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What is your favorite magazine?

I like FlyFisherman best. I also really like the magazine that Trout Unlimited sends for free with a $25 donation.
    Moose

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock

Default Free for an $$$$ donation.

I always loved that line..."and if you send us 25 dollars, we'll send you, FREE, this wonderful blah blah blah....all FREE for your 25 dollar donation.

I used that line a lot when I was director of development for the National Wild Turkey Federation. Quite happy I don't do that anymore.

Blog Entries

i will have to say my favorite ff mag is whatevers on the rack at the library. that being said, ff magazines are a nice forum for new gear and advertisements, with some great info on pin pointed fisheries and regional politics. i have a nice lot of books at home that have all the real info i will ever need. so yes, ff mags are fun and a good read, but im not buying a magazine for a couple of meaning articles.

casey

ARFE

The Drake and Fly Fusion...

I'll read Fly Rod and Reel, Eastern Fly Fishing and American Angler...
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

The only fishing magazine that I've subscribed to in the last 10 or so years is On the Water, a regional, mostly salty, all tackle rag.
    I do have substantial collections of older magazines including more than 25 years worth of Fly Fisherman, 10 years plus of American Angler plus a number of others.
    When Art Scheck was the editor of American Angler (or Fly Tyer), they were the best, otherwise it's been Fly Fisherman year in, year out
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

I'm kind of partial to two publications. American Angler is usually packed with useful info, as is Flyfishing & Tying Journal. I'm especially fond of Flyfishing & Tying Journal since they recently published my article on spring creek tactics in their Winter 2011 issue on newsstands now (I know a shameful plug ).

Kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

Blog Entries

I'm also an American Angler fan and I also like Catch Magazine, it is free and on-line only, it is mostly just fantastic fly fishing photos.
    Catch Magazine - Fly Fishing Video - Film - Photography

Larry
    Larry

I get Trout, American Rifleman (switched this year from American Hunter), DU magazine, F&S, and Northwest Flyfishing.
    I hinted at a gift subscription to Drake, but it didn't happen.
    I pick up a lot of the above titles if the articles look like something interesting to me.
    I also like Grey's Sporting Journal and Shooting Sportsman.
    If I had to pick just one, it would be NWFF: it's my retirement plan.

Forrest,

I really don't bother with magazines as they just tend to clutter up my house... I can't answer directly. But I would say, spend some time at your favorite rag house (be it barnes and noble, some local treasure, etc.) and spend an evening perusing the fly fishing mags. Pic the one you like best and let her know.

It all depends on what you want out of the mag. Sure-- it's fun to thumb through and dream of places, and gear.... It's also fun to brouse the newest Cabelas catalog....

As for good writing and good art/ illustrations-- I enjoy Grey's Sporting Journal-- (Not Fly fishing specific-- more 'nature lifestyle' specific.)

Gray's Sporting Journal, Hunting Lodges, Fishing Lodges, Fishing Magazines, Hunting Magazines, Bird hunting, Wingshooting, Alaska Fishing, Alaska hunting, Canada hunting, Canada Fishing. Hunting art. Fishing Art. Wildlife Art. - Home

Two magazines that I really like but don't have too many of in my collection are the Atlantic Salmon Journal, the publication of the Atlantic Salmon Federation and the The American Fly Fisher from the American Museum of Fly Fishing
    You need to be members of each organization to receive the magazine but well worth it if you're interested
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast