What is your favorite magazine?

famill00

Reaction score
Ok, so now that you have opened this, I do not mean Hustler or Playboy or anything of the like...

My wife wants to buy me a subscription of a fly fishing and/or fly tying magazine. Which one do you guys think is the best?

Thanks,
Forrest

Jimmie

Reaction score
The one that I'm always excited to see come is "Fly Tyer". It does however only come quarterly, winter, spring, summer, fall editions.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
If your into 'Ah hell, it's only money' for a subscription "Northwest Fly Fishing" is a pretty darned good read. Extreamly 'high-end' paper/graphics/photo's/etc. This thing can't be cheap to print, many of the 'Authors' are names you'd know immediately .. but the single issue price of $7.00 reflects that.

But given you opened the question, my fav monthly read is "Consumer Reports."

Bit of an 'Oxymoron,' but the first is trying to get me to spend money, the second to save money.
:D

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I would strongly recommend books that are research based studies of fish and aquatic environment type content. There is much to learn from such books and after I say a few words I'll list a few titles for you. A quick search on Amazon will reveal authors and pricing.

Magazines; You'll not rush for this one perhaps but Scientific American has always been a favorite with me. Fly fishing magazines have become an almost continuous Gear Reviews and marketing tool compared to the introduction of the original Fly Fisherman magazine in the mid 70's. Yes they always had ads from tackle companies but no where on the scale of today.

Books: Below are titles and links to the book and details about them.

'Trout' by Judith Stolz: (Editor) [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Trout-Wildlife-Judith-Stolz/dp/081171652X/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294013043&sr=1-1-fkmr0"]Amazon.com: Trout (Wildlife Series) (9780811716529): Judith Stolz: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41K6F9J2RVL.@@AMEPARAM@@41K6F9J2RVL[/ame]

'What Fish See' by Colin Kageyama: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/What-Fish-See-Understanding-Designing/dp/1571881409/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294013175&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: What Fish See: Understanding Optics and Color Shifts for Designing Lures and Flies (9781571881403): Colin J. Kageyama: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BYH3VN57L.@@AMEPARAM@@51BYH3VN57L[/ame]

Through The Fishes Eye by Clark & Sosin: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Through-Fishs-Eye-Gamefish-Behavior/dp/B000K5Q6T4/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294013289&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Through the Fish's Eye: An Angler's Guide to Gamefish Behavior: Mark & Clark, John Sosin, B/W Illus: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510KUFxmJML.@@AMEPARAM@@510KUFxmJML[/ame]

These are good foundation reading for those who wish to not only understand trout but as an aid in planning approach, presentation, and choice of flies and colors based on water conditions. I have found little to be gained by reading stories about someones success and seeing the pictures of far away places. However I have found that by tailoring my education to focus on my hobby I have became a good enough fisherman that the articles fail to impress me any longer. And I don't miss the advertisements a bit.

I hope you find that this approach makes sense form the prospective of a fisherman,

Ard

Last edited:

milt spawn

Reaction score
I subscribe to one national (The Drake), and one regional (California Fly Fisher) magazine. In your neck of the woods there is a similar pub called Midwest Fly Fishing, I have a few issues and find it very informative and helpful. These regional rags may not have the slickest photos, but the content is good. milt.

araitim

Reaction score
im a fan of all fly fishing related magazines but my favorite are "The Drake" and "Fly Rod & Reel"

roryseiter

Reaction score
I am going to have to go with something free. Blood Knot seems to be popular! The newest "Blogger Issue" was just released. Might see some of your favorite bloggers in there. If not, tell me which ones you want to see next time.

Rory

FlyBum

Reaction score
Rory- Blood Knot is great, but my personal favorite right now is Catch Magazine! I suspect that will change, because I going to purchase a subscription to California Fly Fisher which is most relevant for me.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Totally agree with the choice of "Scientific American;'' Like an old copy of National Geographic, you can open to any page .. and actually learn something.

That IS a GOOD THING.

fae
Geo is in my top picks too Fred, Great minds think....................

And for those quite times Smithsonian will work :D

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I subscribed for years to Scientific American. They started injecting politics into what should have been a purely science journal. I called the editor, chewed him a new butt and have never looked at another one since. Science followed the same sad path not long after. I will not touch either till they regain the ethics that people of science should have.

Therefore I vote for Fly Tyer.

Vans

Reaction score
I dont have a single favorite. I really like Fly Fusion and The Drake. Those are my top two choices, but i buy and read all of them at this point.

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like Southwest Flyfishing and the others that come along. I am a subscriber to the Drake as well but they have a lot of weird little articles that don't really get there for me.

Ards reco of Trout...brought back memories; When that book came out my dad asked for it for Christmas. I delivered and that is one of the books that is now on my shelf with tremendous memories of my father and his passion for science, particularly fish biology.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Definitely not a favorite but I just picked up about 10 years worth of the old Fly Fishing magazine which was a Frank Amato publication. I've never heard of it myself, but it seems to me it must have been fazed out and incorporated into Rod and Reelwhen that magazine became Fly Rod and Reel
Most of the writers are unknown to me unlike the big names that wrote for Fly Fisherman or American Angler during the same time period.
However every issue has at least one if not two articles written by some guy named Gierach ;)

Vans

Reaction score
I urge those of you who have never picked it up to give Fly Fusion a look. It is a Canadian magazine but they seem to focus on all of North America. Lots of fantastic photography and great article. A nOOb like me benefits a lot from it.

gt05254

Reaction score
The Cabela's catalog series. I gave all the others up that have been mentioned or will be mentioned when I gave up everything but fishing, bird hunting, and a little carpentry. "Experts" tire me..."Talking heads" bore me.
To each his own,
Gary