Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Name that bug? (II)

Default Name that bug? (II)

I really appreciate those folks who helped me with the previous unknown bug and I hope I may impose upon the collective wisdom one more time. The attached bug was found emerging on the local stream a week ago at about 4 PM. The scale at the bottom of the picture is 1 mm per division. One of the two pictures shows a cripple with the shuck still clinging to the fly.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...16_Cropped.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...10_Cropped.jpg

Default Re: Name that bug? (II)

It's a midge of some kind... two wings
    Beyond that, I wouldn't even guess
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    It's a midge of some kind... two wings
    Beyond that, I wouldn't even guess
    Definitely a midge of some sort. there are too many midges to I.D. them all, at least for me. It's similar in shape & wing style to the one I posted below from Troutnut's site.

Chironomidae (Midges) True Fly Adult Pictures

4. Default Re: Name that bug? (II)

Chironomus plumosus (female) the males have feathery antennae also called a " buzzer midge" best match i could find in my books.
    "If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach

Thanks for the help, folks. I discounted midge as the fly was signficantly larger than the typical midge I see in these parts. Looking through links related to the insect proper names folks provided I discovered that midges vary much more than I previously thought.