Changes coming our way!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

You will be seeing a Few Changes Happening to the forum. We all knew they were coming so don't be alarmed. You may encounter some links working differently. You may see some new links. Please give us time to get everything sorted out.

Your comments are welcomed. Especially if you find something that doesn't work.

Frank

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Cliff,

Yes I saw that too. I think we are going to be the Fish & Fly North American Fly Fishing Forum. There has been a link on the F&F site linking their forum to us. I see that as an opportunity for new members.

Here is a great change. Picture re-size software has been added to the Forum. It works automatically and if a picture that is too large is posted, it will be limited in size. I think the size limit is liberal and everyone should be happy with it. So the Portal page won't get blown out now. This was the first thing I asked for and it was up the next day.

Now if someone has a huge picture to post can you post for a test. Let us know how it worked.

Frank

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Jimmie,

When I talked to the software guy he already had a vBulletin program that he could add. So we didn't use your referral but lets see how this one works. Your referral would have required some cash so I can understand going the other way.

I really appreciate your help and the referral. As a matter of fact I am going to give you some Rep for your help.

Frank

BigCliff

Reaction score
Hi Cliff,

Yes I saw that too. I think we are going to be the Fish & Fly North American Fly Fishing Forum.

Here is a great change. Picture re-size software has been added to the Forum. It works automaticly and if a picture that is too large is posted, it will be linited in size. I think the size limit is liberal and everyone should be happy with it. So the Portal page won't get blown out now. This was the first thing I asked for and it was up the next day.

Now if someone has a huge picture to post can you post for a test. Let us know how it worked.

Frank
That title seems a bit clunky and cumbersome. I'd be alright with it being renamed "The Fish & Fly Forum" as long as they left the URLs the same. (Of course I expect a free subscription to the print version if they like my idea.) I'd even be alright with a blue and white motif and some new pictures with proper bribing.

Auto picture resizing would be a huge help, glad to hear that's coming.

Jackster

Reaction score
Two big things I would find handy...
- Profiles that work so we can get an idea of the experience level of those giving information and also so we can see if they're neighbors and potential fishing buddies and folks to bum flies off of.
- Hand-held format without the fluff for us poor folks who like to view the site while on the road.
- Oh... and don't hand the site over to be moderated by non-fly fishers like another once very popular site! :doh:

Other than that, keep on truckin'! :thmbup:

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I agree with Jackster and would like to be able to view a members profile.

How about having the new Boss pop in and say hello?

crittergetter

Reaction score
I agree with Jackster and would like to be able to view a members profile.

How about having the new Boss pop in and say hello?
I agree with previous 2 Posts...

Keeping moderators that know as much as you all do has kept me coming back time and time again.

Kudo's to all the moderators that do what you do

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
Jackster said:
- Profiles that work so we can get an idea of the experience level of those giving information and also so we can see if they're neighbors and potential fishing buddies and folks to bum flies off of.
- Hand-held format without the fluff for us poor folks who like to view the site while on the road.
I would start by doing an Advance Member Search and locate people in your area by Location, Zipcode, or Home County/State to see which members you may be able to contact. Location is not a required field and the members can disable PM and email contact info.

Until a mobile format of the site is available you might try the vB Lite link located to the Left under the Navigation section. It is one of the last options in this section. I'm not sure that this is in the works for the future but it should get you by and allow you to access just the forum categories.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry

Pocono

Reaction score
How about an easy-to-use spellchecker - fer thooz of uz whoose tieping dozn't kwihte keep up with our thots(?) :wink:

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Pocono,

What browser do you use?

For those that use Microsoft IE you can down load a spell checker. When you open a "Reply to Post" window look at the upper right hand corner. You will see this icon.
If you click it you will be taken to a site to down load a spell checker for IE Spell. I have used it for a couple of years and it works very well.

Here is another tip. Right next to the
icon you will see two arrows. One points up and one points down. You can use this to expand the size of the "Reply" window. Very handy if you make large post.

Frank

Jimmie

Reaction score
Hi Frank, Here's a test pic...I hope...Seemed like it took awhile but it worked I think.

Dan
Dan, was that a very large pic or did you post a thumbnail size. For my input I'd prefer a size or two bigger for a finished size pic. Understand just one persons opinion.
Jimmie

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Jimmie,

Here is a photo that was so large that it blow out the Portal page. It was re-sized to this photo. I think that is a good size. It is big enough to show the details. What do you think?

Frank

Re-sized Photo

Jimmie

Reaction score
Hi Frank
I agree. That is a perfect size IMO. Finally, huh? Has to make your work a lot easier. I, for one, really apprecite yours and the other moderators efforts for my time here.
Jimmie

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Frank
Has to make your work a lot easier. I, for one, really appreciate yours and the other moderators efforts for my time here.
Jimmie
Jimmie, you got that right. The best part is I don't have to delete members photos anymore. Most people were good about it but some resented it.

Frank

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Frank and Jimmy, The test pic was a jpeg, 850kb. All I did was hit the attachment feature and the program did the rest. Frank I like the size on that pic you posted detail is good.

Dan