Caught a Trout Today...First in over a Month!

FrankB2

Reaction score
The local lake was frozen over, but the creek that spills off it wasn't. The stocked trout make somehow get to the stream through the spillway (although in VERY small numbers), and I managed to get one on a Green Weenie. The poor rainbow looked like he could use a meal, although he did struggle enough to put a bend in the rod. The lake's water level was ridiculously low this summer, and I assumed that they would skip stocking it this fall. The rain in October brought the water levels up quickly enough (the water was 40 feet from the banks in August!!!), but the stagnation has left the water very murky, and the rocks all have a brown algae type of growth.
Pretty sad stuff..... After catching the rainbow, I managed to get a few nice crappy, and now I'm happy again. :)

Yvonne and I will probably hit the Little Lehigh Creek this weekend. It's a limestoner, and freezing over shouldn't be an issue at all.

webrx

Reaction score
Congrats Frank, good to see someone else getting out during the winter and catching at least one trout. also good to hear the water levels are coming back, my two favorite lakes were at 50% before the snow started falling. We are hoping for a wet winter up in the mountains and a return of decent water levels.

Dave

lancer09

Reaction score
I've been trying at some local ponds around me without much success. I planned on trying the fly rod the first day I went but it was frozen over so I broke out the UL gear and fished through the ice, didn't catch any but the guy fifteen feet from me probably caught 20 while I was there. Day two, caught one, albeit on spinning gear because where I was fishing from had 25 mph wind straight into my face. Finally the best day for fly fishing the bite was virtually non-existant.

Congratulations on your fish, i'd like to have some of the same luck.

bjweller

Reaction score
Glad to hear it. Last January I had three outings with no fish. I tend to take January a bit easy and gear up for the middle of February.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Frank: Congrats! Nice to get out on the water now that winter is setting in. I still haven't been out, but hopefully soon. This weekend I'm going to the Fly Fishing Show in Denver.

Larry

wt bash

Reaction score
Good to hear some one is getting rid of the skunk, I can't seem to shake it off me though! Went trouting today at the infamous Amish Poachers Paradise and turned quite a few fish but none would commit. This puts me right around a month fishless! I think a sacrifice is in order!:icon_evil