If you only had 1...

axle27

Reaction score
fly rod that you could own and fish with, what would it be?

What make, model, length, weight and why?

I'd have to say a St. Croix Legend Ultra 9-foot, 5wt. I love how it casts and I could handle a broad span with this, although it would be overkill for some things and not nearly enough for others.

jimw

Reaction score
Well
I already have 4 setups but the one that sees the most usage is my TFO Ticrx 9wt 9'. The way the weather is shaping up it will see some usage this weekend for sure. I fish mostly salt but do a little warm water because it starts about a month before the salty creatures show up. I use a Sage FLI 7wt 9' for bass fishing.I sometimes use this rod in the salt for schoolie stripers in the summer.

Rob11

Reaction score
I have a St. Croix Legend Elite 9' 5wt. that stands up to anything, yet, offers delicacy and short-range accuracy. Can't say enough about this rod, as I wouldn't hesitate to put it in the class of my GLXs and other more expensive rods. What St. Croix has done with this rod's quality in the past year is impressive. These rods used to be considered fast +, but the redesign seems to have transitioned to a fast rating with the ability to use finesse when needed. In addition, the price point is now lower as well. The line just flows out of this rod.

So in a pinch, that would be my 1 rod choice.

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Man, thats a tuff one, I may be fishing smallmouth in the morning then to another river for trout in the afternoon, then yet another place for largemouth and gill's the next day and even hybrid striper. I would say either a redington or sage 9' 6wt. I have a sage VT2 in a 9' 6wt now that is light enough for most trout and gill fishing(although a 4 or 5 wt would be more fun and better for dries) and heavy enough for bass aslong as I keep my bassbugs on the smaller side. I havent fished for hybrids with it yet, but it would probaly land one with a good reel and a long fight.
Bear

SkipS

Reaction score
Of all the rods I own,I would pick my Sage 890-4 RPL that I built 20+ years ago.This rod has seen lots of action on smb & lmb,shad,pickerel,stripers,blues,flounder and many others.I could probably fish this rod anywhere and be happy with it.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Well
I already have 4 setups but the one that sees the most usage is my TFO Ticrx 9wt 9'. The way the weather is shaping up it will see some usage this weekend for sure. I fish mostly salt but do a little warm water because it starts about a month before the salty creatures show up. I use a Sage FLI 7wt 9' for bass fishing.I sometimes use this rod in the salt for schoolie stripers in the summer.
Same exact rod for me too. If I had to choose I would forget the Large Mouth and stick to the saltwater with my 9WT

Hey Jim, do you overline yours? I took a few cast on Wed with a Rio WF10I and it shot line like I've never seen before...

jimw

Reaction score
Same exact rod for me too. If I had to choose I would forget the Large Mouth and stick to the saltwater with my 9WT

Hey Jim, do you overline yours? I took a few cast on Wed with a Rio WF10I and it shot line like I've never seen before...
I use a Rio outbound long 9wt floater and a 9wt airflo ridgeline clear intermediate and both shoot really well and cut thru the wind.
I like fishing for largemouth because it gets me out there catching fish a month before anything happens in the salt.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I use a Rio outbound long 9wt floater and a 9wt airflo ridgeline clear intermediate and both shoot really well and cut thru the wind.
I like fishing for largemouth because it gets me out there catching fish a month before anything happens in the salt.
I do the same. I picked up a TFO Axiom 7WT over the winter. The LMB have been keeping me busy while I wait for the striped ones...

Jackster

Reaction score
No brainer here... Winston 9', 6 weight BIIx. This rod really is a 4,5,6 and 7 weight but they don't advertise it that way!

Luckily, I don't have the very huge problem of having but one rod so they all get a workout at one time or another. :smile:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Difficult question....
The rod I use most often is my custom PacBay Rainforest 8wt.
....I could survive with that I guess

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Difficult question....
The rod I use most often is my custom PacBay Rainforest 8wt.
....I could survive with that I guess
Riptide,

I see those blanks for sale from time to time but I've been hesitant to build one up. Is it the green 2pc blank? They list it as mod/fast, is that acurate?

P.S. I pick your brain so much you should charge me a consultation fee :icon_redf

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Riptide,

I see those blanks for sale from time to time but I've been hesitant to build one up. Is it the green 2pc blank? They list it as mod/fast, is that acurate?

P.S. I pick your brain so much you should charge me a consultation fee :icon_redf
This is the one that I have....the 4piece IM-7
I don't remember where I got my blank.... but it was steal
This is a fairly good deal too
Mod-fast is a good description... a bit more than a med-fast

Rainforest Fly Rod Blank 4 pc - 9' / 8 wt
by: Pacific Bay
SKU: BL-020204-9008

Product Overview:

Previously available only to OEM rod manufacturers, these high quality blanks have been available to all custom rod builders for only a few years. Whether you build one rod a year or 50, this Rainforest blank will lead to a high performance fly rod. PacBay provides its lifetime warranty on on both the original Rainforest IM6 blanks, some of which are still in stock, and these upgraded Rainforest II blanks in IM7 material and presented in a darker shade of green.

Other Details:
butt diameter: 0.425 in.; tip size: 5; blank wt.: 2.08 oz.

List Price: $128.99
Your Price: $77.39

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Guy's,

There always is an oddball is there not? My first really good rod was a 7' 9" Far & Fine 5wt. that I bought in 1979. It was the forerunner of what became known as the Superfine rods from Orvis. The company advertised them as 'Low Modulus Graphite' and I bought one. Back then I didn't think I needed a different rod for every river and creek so I toted it with me from Newfoundland, to the Yukon and I hit many points in between. I landed Sea Trout, salmon, char, grayling, and many sizes & species of trout across the lower 48 using it. I still use it here in AK. and it is still catching fish.

Those rods with their relatively short length will get you through a brush choked brookie stream in Piscataquis county Maine(although a 6' 6" would be better) or they will throw a tight loop cast as long of distance as you are capable of on the Madison river in Montana. I have never fished for king salmon with it but have landed many silver salmon and large rainbows with the old rod. If I were to be left with only one rod I guess I would want to keep it.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
This is the one that I have....the 4piece IM-7
I don't remember where I got my blank.... but it was steal
This is a fairly good deal too
Mod-fast is a good description... a bit more than a med-fast
Thanks Rip,

That will be one of my winter projects, I build all my own conventional and surf rods but the way I break tips I have been sticking to factory rods with warranties. I think its time to wrap a fly rod...

BigCliff

Reaction score
My most versatile rod is my Sage VPS Light 490-3, but that's quite light for my favorite type of fishing, saltwater. Someday I'll have a 6wt I love, but I seem to only like really expensive 6wts.

For example, Scott's X2s is magnificent, suits my stroke perfectly, but sells for $695.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I just gotta add this,

I know that a 7' 9" 5wt is short and light but when I extend my right arm strait up over head I have an eight and one half foot reach. I guess that has always compensated for the shorter lighter rod. Let's see.............. that puts the tip top at 16' 3", yeah, that makes it kinda like a longer rod.

axle27

Reaction score
When I thought about this question last night, I was thinking that most of the replies would be considering the equipment one has, not what one would WANT or COULD have.

I don't have a 9-foot 5wt Legend Ultra, but I do have a 2wt and I love it. I haven't tried enough brands or sizes to have a real good idea about it. I just thought it would be fun to see what some of you seasoned fishermen would say and why.

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
Axle27,
I have a 9-foot 5wt Legend Ultra. It is my "goto" rod of choice. It best suits my casting ability and is the one I have the most confidence with when fishing. It doesn't stop me from using any of my other rods.

Hope this helps!
Thanks,
Terry

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
I will only fish Sage and the rod of choice would be the 10ft 6wt Z Axis I built 3 years ago. Works great on the Truckee nymphing or with streamers or going for Steelies. I put the recoil guides on there and they work great during the winter, easy to break the ice away.