A day to get lost

arfishinbear

Reaction score
First off sorry I have no pics for the story, forgot the digi.
My son has lived with me and my wife for a year now and due to weather and him going to stay with his mom in the summer I have not had a chance to take him to the Buffalo River in North AR. So today with the wind blowing to hard for the lake and two units running on the Little Red we went north.
The fishing was bad to say the least, we seen smallmouth swimming all over gravel flats and on beds and couldnt buy a bite, we threw buggers, streamers, poppers, everything we had at them and no takers. I did catch a couple long ear sunfish(one of the prettiest of the sunfishes) on a nymph.
However the Buffalo is one of those rivers you can get lost in with out even haveing a rod in your hands. The towering rock walls that go up 100-200 feet, the gravel bars and rolling rock banks. The rocks them selves are cool, I can spend an hour in a 10 foot area just looking at rocks. There are red ones, grey ones that have been carved by the water, sand roks, an arrow head every now and then, blue rocks with grey and white swirreld in them just some very cool rocks. The butterflies where every where, big black and yellow tigers, blue and black ones, all yellow ones, brown with orange and white. Birds singing all over, cardinals, blue birds, mocking birds trying to sound like hawks and catbirds moweing in the under brush, with great blue herons and black valuters flying over head.
The best minute of the day was setting on a log and watching my son, I just notieced how much of a man he is starting to look and act(he'll be 18 in a few weeks) He's cast are no longer short and sloppy and rushed, but long and gracefull, timed instead of forced.
Even when the fish arent doing what they are suppose to do, mornings like this you get lost Just seeing how mother earth can be so pretty and wonderfull and give you a great gift with out actually haveing to touch it. Seeing my boy turn into a man, and thinking how lucky I am to have him as my son and to have a wife (that would have been right there had she not wokred last night) that enjoys these things , not only that but she allowes me to be a guide and supports me in all my outdoor adventures, from fishing, guideing, tournaments, hunting, artifact and rock hounding, bird watching, hikeing and just loveing nature.
After reading the post "some fish all their lives with out" i started thinking and thought I would share this with you all. Even though we didnt catch mnay fish todday I would say it was still a great day on the water and I found alot that I was searching for.
Bear

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Bear

Great story, thanks for sharing. It's not the trips where you catch lots of fish that you tend to remember the most, but the time you spend with family!

Larry

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The more I read and learn of what goes on in your head the more I like you Brandon. You are the type of person I have always gravitated toward in my life. I'm happy to hear that you had such a good day filled with good things.

Ard

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Thanks Ard, and belive it or not I use to be the biggest wildchild anyone knew LOL, what a little time and age can do to a person