Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Started

Default Re: Getting Started

If I were you I'd unload one or two of those baitcasters and free up a couple hundred to get some real equipment, there is a difference. You don't have to have an $800 setup, but $250-300 will get you GREAT gear. A couple notches above "starter combo kit". I had "starter combo kit" I realize how miserable it is now that I have fished with the better stuff.

Luckily you can get a decent rod for much cheaper than in the past. $150 should get you a pretty good rig. I would suggest a combo from Cabela's
    Lee Orr - Maker
    304 Rod Company

www.304rodcompany.com

Quote Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
    If I were you I'd unload one or two of those baitcasters and free up a couple hundred to get some real equipment, there is a difference. You don't have to have an $800 setup, but $250-300 will get you GREAT gear. A couple notches above "starter combo kit". I had "starter combo kit" I realize how miserable it is now that I have fished with the better stuff.
    I've actually done just that. I have listed two Shimano baitcasters on another site and have them sold pending funds.

Blog Entries

check out flyshopcloseouts.com

casey

ARFE

Blog Entries

If your interested in fiberglass rods, Cabela's just released their CGR series. Glass rods for $100....
    Anthony Laurence
    www.anthonylaurence.net
    Web Developement and Design
    FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog

I have been through this situation a few years ago and now am helping a friend with the same task.

If I had advice for someone's first combo, I would recommend a 6 weight. You can throw slightly larger flies with a 6 than a 5. You could also go after small steelhead with a more robust 6 weight and a reel with a good drag system. A 6 will throw larger flies for smallmouth better than a 5 and can also accommodate smaller trout flies. A 6 will also handle wind better than a 5 weight.

Many times, you get what you pay for. That being said, there are quality options to be had within a $300 starting range for a rod and reel. Manufacturers like Redington, St. Croix, Temple Fork, and even RL Winston offer rod options to get anglers started in fly fishing for a reasonable price. Purchasing a quality machined reel with a warranty from a Ross or Lamson will not only get you started, but it should last you a lifetime. Supporting a local fly shop with this purchase may occasionally get you free line and backing thrown in when purchasing a combination in this price range.

Rods that come highly recommended by many include:

RL Winston Passport - medium action - $199
    St Croix Imperial - fast action - $200
    Temple Fork Professional Series - medium fast - $150
    Redington Classic Trout - moderate - $120 - $150 depending on the shop

Reels include:
    Ross CLA #2,3 - fully machined reel - $185-195
    Lamson Guru G2 - fully machined w/ sealed conical drag - $189
    Lamson Konic 2 - pressed reel w/ same drag of higher end reels - $129

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12