Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Dont know what to do??

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Middle, Tennessee
    Posts
    872

    Default Re: Dont know what to do??

    Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    Here are some questions to think of.

    How many rods do you want to have?

    What kind of platform will you be fishing from? Wading? Boat?

    Do you want to fish a single handed rod or a two hander?

    What manner of techniques will you be fishing? Strip? Swing? Indobobbicate?

    What types of flies will you be using?

    If you just want one rod for now and don't want to think too hard, just get yourself a nine foot eight weight. It will cover both your needs.

    As for brands, I am partial to Sage, but there are many other quality brands on the market at every price point. I would stick with the major players since they are best with their warranties just in case something goes wrong.

    MP

    I am a Sage man myself but I have been eying the Temple Fork (TFO) BVK series rod 8wt and I really like the price $249.00. I was playing around casting an 8wt last weekend and the performance I thought was outstanding, I did have a chance to fish with a 5wt back about a month ago and really enjoyed the rod, almost felt better than my sage rods.
    Popperfly >-<(((((*>

    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Middle, Tennessee
    Posts
    872

    Default Re: Dont know what to do??

    Thanks everyone for your input, I have made up my mind and I am getting a TFO BVK 8wt rod, picking it up this weekend.
    Popperfly >-<(((((*>

    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Regina, Saskatchewan
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: Dont know what to do??

    I think I would rather have two rods, one for each type of fishing. Allbright makes an inexpensive but quality rod you could use for pike. Then you could spend the rest on a nice river rod for the Steelies.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Berks, PA
    Posts
    936
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dont know what to do??

    Quote Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input, I have made up my mind and I am getting a TFO BVK 8wt rod, picking it up this weekend.
    Don't have too much fun....
    Anthony Laurence
    www.anthonylaurence.net
    Web Developement and Design
    FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog

  5. #15

    Default Re: Dont know what to do??

    Quote Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input, I have made up my mind and I am getting a TFO BVK 8wt rod, picking it up this weekend.
    I havent held a BVK model, but have always like TFO for its performance to cost ratio. I have been very happy with all three of the TFO I own, but I would encourage you to check out the Tirx as a comparison. I have caught pike, rainbows, grayling, dollies as well as 4 of 5 species of salmon on them in a 6wt. A 7-8 wt would do everything you want and for a similar price as well as being a bit more robust in terms of salt water.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    southern Ohio
    Posts
    689

    Default Re: Dont know what to do??

    Tried to PM you, but I only had 14 posts and couldn't send a PM.

    I read your post and it reminded me I have an older Sage 8wt rod I seldom use. It's a 2 piece 8wt, and if memory serves me correctly it's 9' (I keep it stored in my garage and can't look at it right now).
    If you would be interested in a used rod let me know and I'll get more details for you.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Middle, Tennessee
    Posts
    872

    Default Re: Dont know what to do??

    Quote Originally Posted by nerka View Post
    I havent held a BVK model, but have always like TFO for its performance to cost ratio. I have been very happy with all three of the TFO I own, but I would encourage you to check out the Tirx as a comparison. I have caught pike, rainbows, grayling, dollies as well as 4 of 5 species of salmon on them in a 6wt. A 7-8 wt would do everything you want and for a similar price as well as being a bit more robust in terms of salt water.
    Nerka,

    If you get a chance check out the BVK series, they just came out late last year (august) I had several opportunities to cast and fish the TFO BVK rods and I really like the performance of the rod, it really surprised me because I have been a SAGE man for a long time. The price on the 8wt is only $249 and that fits in the budget for me.

    If you like TFO rods I know you will really like the BVK series rod, check it out.

    Keven
    Popperfly >-<(((((*>

    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

  8. #18

    Default Re: Dont know what to do??

    Quote Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
    Nerka,

    If you get a chance check out the BVK series, they just came out late last year (august) I had several opportunities to cast and fish the TFO BVK rods and I really like the performance of the rod, it really surprised me because I have been a SAGE man for a long time. The price on the 8wt is only $249 and that fits in the budget for me.

    If you like TFO rods I know you will really like the BVK series rod, check it out.

    Keven
    I am interesting in checking them out I just have not had my hands on one yet. I am more in the market for a heavy reel this year but wouldnt mind expanding my 3wt arsenal. I am a regular at our local sportsmans warehouse but have not seen or felt one. I tried a friend's axiom and thought that was a nice rig as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Dont you just hate it
    By dsssox13 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-22-2010, 07:15 PM
  2. I dont quite understand the reasoning behind SAGE'S BASS ROD..........
    By SouthFlorida FlyGuy in forum Warmwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-27-2008, 01:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •