Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Otukaikino Creek

Otukaikino creek

This is very nice looking water on the town boundary of the city Christchurch. The fish are Brown mainly, with occasional salmon and sea run brown trout (very rarely), fish are typically small (1-2lb) with a chance of the odd one at 5lb. This water way is mostly fenced off along its over growing bank area, much of the bank is badly over grown and in many cases wading is necessary to make a cast possible. The area is prone to flooding as every time the Waimakariri has a fresh the creeks lower reaches can rise 6-8ft (close to 2m).

(Above the bridge)

(The water)

From the dickeys road bridge up is where there is the best chance of big fish. It has much less fishing pressure than below the dickeys road bridge, you will need permission to cross farm land to fish much of this section.

(Below the Dickeys road bridge)

(A good spot to drop a beetle or cicada)

(Some geese)

(A back water that will flow sometimes)

From the dickeys road bridge down, it’s common to see 3-6 anglers and fewer fish per kilometre than most rivers in the area. Early in the season as with most of the Canterbury Rivers, the streamer will fish best with whitebait and smelt imitations (not that other methods won’t work just the smelt and whitebait will be a larger part of the trout’s diet). As the season progresses nymphs, wets and dries will fish well with mayfly hatches and midge in the slower reaches and back waters.

(From here down the casting is easer and the angling presure is more)

(there were plenty of trees in the river after the heavy wind just been)

This is my least favourite water to fish, with the problems casting and stream side tangles. How ever as I now live closest to this river it is likely I will fish it much more (I have currently fished it 5 times).

On this ocassion I was on my way to the Waimakariri to check the rip out at the mouth of this river, where it meets the Waimakariri. Unfortunatly I was too late after the fresh and the river was too low, but still dirty if there was a run I had missed it (the fishing reports over the holidays is less than accurate). The fly was touching the bottom while I was swinging it through the rip, and along the bar. next time a fresh comes Ill triple the length of my sink tip (15-20ft at 10ips) and I think I will be able to cover the water well enough

I hope to get some pics of more of above the bridge at some stage

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisinselwynNZ; 01-12-2011 at 05:09 AM. Reason: some of the pictures wernt showing
    "the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD

Default Re: Otukaikino Creek

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing your water. Some of that looks really tough to fish. Have you thought about a small kayak above the bridge? It would give you access to the water with out crossing the farm land.

Frank

Very nice thanks.

Rick

Blog Entries

Nice stream Chris....I can smell trout from here mustn't be easy to land a fish with all the weeds

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing your water. Some of that looks really tough to fish. Have you thought about a small kayak above the bridge? It would give you access to the water with out crossing the farm land.

Frank
    No I haddnt even thought of a kayak, I was thinking of trying to wade it the centre of the river looks waist deep above the wollows in the pic.

It is hard going on the first half on your way down, I have found if you want to fish it you will loose plenty of tippet, and flies

Jp I use a 6wt which swings it my way a bit as Im yet to catch somting bigger than 1lb here (there are even guys using 7-9wt rods!) but if you dont think about how your going to net it first

Chris
    "the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD

That's a pretty spot. It is nice water and countryside. It looks like you are enjoying your summer. What are the temperatures there in the summer?

Jimmie, our summer here will be 20-40 deg C (max of 104 deg F) it sometimes gets hotter but then you realy suffer (just need to wade deeper)

Chris