head lamps?

caseywise

Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone uses a headlamp for fly fishing applications? i have a petzl that i use all the time for camping and other outdoor activities, but have never used for fishing. thoughts?

casey

Last edited:

nerka

Reaction score
As you know Casey I am from the greatland and most of the time I am fly fishing it is light late out if it gets dark at all. That being said I always have one in my vest. I think any of the modern LED work fine, the one I have which is also a Petzl has a red lamp and strobe. While I havent needed them for survival purposes, I can see where having a strobe will come in handy. I have used my plenty of times hiking in and out of locations, and tying knots etc in low light. For me it is a dont leave home without item in my vest.

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
I have had a petzl head lamp for years, they are great

On one occasion I was in a new spot, it was a flatish braided river. well a rise started just before dark and I thought heck Ive got a light Ill be right.
When the rise stopped it was well dark (alot more than it should be i thought in the south where Im from it wont get that dark you cant find your way around). well I put my light on and on the shingle bed (river gravel) every direction looked the same so I started walking up stream and getting the feeling that I was screwed the truck was some distance from the river and I was not going to just come accross it a real sence of panic started in me, eventualy I found it but it was just luck it was late dark and very cold

From that time on I have carried a powerful spot light (it is 18 high power LEDs with 6aaa batterys lasts 2hrs) that will reflect off the truck at 1/4 mile (that is how I found it but at 40 ft).

Chris

webrx

Reaction score
I have a cap with 2 leds built in also, but I carry a little clip on with 3 leds in my vest in case I am wearing a different hat. This clip on saved me from a rattler on the way back to the truck one day.

d

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I fish at night all the time. I don't use a head lamp, but I carry two flashlights. A thumbnail sized single LED on a zinger in a pocket, in my vest and a mini-mag on a cord around my neck.
The last thing you want is to walk around with a light on, alerting the fish to your presence and ruining your night vision.
When you need to check your fly or fix a tangle, turn around, exit the water if possible, and use the smallest amount of illumination to do the job, a red lense with help to save your night vision.
When it's time to go, use the larger light to find your way.
You could use a head lamp if that's convenient for you, for for me it would be it the way for the majority of the night

FrankB2

Reaction score
I began using one of the type that strap around your about 6-7 years ago. I was doing a lot of smallmouth fishing on the Schuylkill River, and had to hike about 3/4 of a mile to get to the good spots. It doesn't sound like much, but there is a lot of debris along that stretch, and walking in the dark it tough. That light eventually gave out, and I bought a Princeton Tec model. Much nicer, and much more bright at half the size. That light was made in the USA, but the newer models are now made in China. I buy U.S. made products whenever possible, so I can't recommend the Princeton Tec unless there isn't an alternative. I can recommend carrying a head lamp in your vest, however. ;)

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We should all be carrying a light of some kind if there is any chance you will be caught in the dark. Here is a thread that reviews a lot of different lights. You should be able to find something that fits your needs.

Lights for the Trail

Frank

wjc

Reaction score
The hat lights I like that bass pro shops carried, they don't have now - after I gave two away to friends. The have some cheap lousy ones now.

Off the point slightly but important for boat fishermen - is "Q" beams, available at Marine Supply places - like West Marine.

I carry two "Q beams" at all times on the boat in case one dies, because I usually don't come in till after dark. I cut the cigaretter lighter plug end off and solder closepin clips on the wire ends to clip directly to the boat battery. These are indispensable and about like the high beams on a car. Without them, finding channel markers and reef buoys would be a very slow ordeal if even possible. Finding the "head pins" which have blinking lights on them is hard enough even when you know where they are roughly.

Cheers,
Jim

araitim

Reaction score
i use a Septor LED Headlamp for work and play thats what they give us at work for those of us that work half their day in the dark. you can find them for $25 and really work well. it has 3 brightness settings and 7 led's.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Energizer. I actually carry a minimum of two headlamps and a small maglite with me when I have to hike into an area. Had a disconcerting experience with a cheap hatlamp in mountain lion country 3 miles from camp last year. I made it back after two hours, was tripped four times by unseen underbrush, and it was probably just nerves, but I thought I was being stalked for an hour.

That was the last time I set off into the brush without at least two lights and a sidearm.

The Energizer headlamp is an adjustable forehead light, uses three AAA batts, has five settings, including a red light, and the full power setting throws a huge amount of light for flashlight distances from 5 large LEDs. Inexpensive as well, if I remember correctly.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Petzal, black diamond, and the energizer, are the best bets for me. Red light is gooood.
I carry one every time I go out. One doesn't always know when we'll be staying late.
Several times I've left a small bike strobe going on the truck dash to help finding it later.
Generally I only carry one full size headlight, (but 3 fresh aaa's are stashed in the vest).
Also carry one key-chain light as a backup.
I also practice walking around in the dark a lot. But not in cougar country.
They tend to approach from behind, so keep rear looking radar on.
Don't want to be today's special.

Jim

araitim

Reaction score
id love to be todays special for a cougar..... wait.... i think were talking about 2 different kinds of cougars.:D

Bigfly

Reaction score
araitim, do the other kind of cougars attack from behind too?
In Africa the "beaters" who helped drive Lions to a hunter, wore a mask on the back of their heads to discourage rear attacks.
Been thinking of offering a line of tribal masks just for fishermen.
Maybe I should consider a line just for going out on the town!

Jim

ant

Reaction score
I usually have one on me, either a headlamp or one of the clip ons, but very rarely do I use it. But it is nice to know that it is there if necessary.

Joni

Reaction score
I use the Petzl Zipka, but I do have the lenses for it, and red seems to be the ticket for night fishing.

littledavid123

Reaction score
A friend of mine got caught on the side of the mountain behind his house one nite without a flashlight. It was a warm evening so rather than fight the briars and brambles he would make his bed in the leaves and make the last couple miles in the morning.

Sometime after midnight the hoot owls got to singing and he came down with a bad case of the hibbie jibbies. As anyone who has ever had them knows, once you get the hibbie jibbies you WILL be leaving the area in a hurry.

By the time he made it back home his face, arms and legs were ripped to shreds. I am most impressed by the fact that he was able to "man up" and tell this story to another guy...lol

Dave