hey

Reaction score
I always get skunked every time I go to the stocked pond In beaumont so I was wondering could anyone give me advice on how to be successful catching 8in rainbows in a stocked pond. Any info would be great.:D

Jimmie

Reaction score
Hey EHC. The only thing that I can offer is a little info I've gathered over time. Days that fish are delivered they are usually given sedatives at their last feeding. This causes them to be lazy for a number of hours. Even fishing the next day can be more productive. When they are first delivered they seem to spend time swimming the perimeter/shallows of a pond while schooling. For that reason I wouldn't move around. If you stay in the same spot the trout will come to you if in an active period. You will find that fish that have been in the pond awhile will get active right after a planting. Small ponds seem to get fished out in a few days so you might ask when the trout were last stocked.

BigCliff

Reaction score
If you're talking about Beaumont, TX, its because they're all dead. Rainbows basically cannot survive once water hits 70 degrees.

Try throwing the same flies you'd fish for trout under shady spots or near structure, let them sink slowly, and you should catch all the sunfish you can handle. Just take some hemostats so you can get those little flies out of their little mouths.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I use to work at a state trout hatchery.
There were no sedatives
In fact, trout meant to go out to be stocked were not feed at all for a week prior
This was to avoid any motion sickness and keep them from puking up food in the stocking truck tanks. The lack of oxygen from the fouled water would kill all the fish before they arrived at their destination.

The stocked trout don't spread out very quickly, mostly because they've lived their short lives confined to a small area.
Once they get their act together, they are ravenous and will eat most anything that looks good.
But they quick learn what's editable and what's not.
They never forget the sound of the food pellets hitting the water though.
One old trick is to gather up a small handful of sand and toss it in the water.
Then quickly toss a dry fly in to the mix
Will it work ?.... you won't know unless you try

webrx

Reaction score
I have been taking my boy to a couple stocked ponds the last two weekends, and while the fish have been eating his worms on a bobber, I have found that watching what the fish do is still very important even in a stocked pond.

Case in point: Last weekend I caught more on a fly rod then most were catching on worms and powerbait. primarily, when the fish were on the surface, I looked for the bugs on the water and tried to match the size and color; when the were just barely rolling the top of the water, I threw on a wet fly and pulled short jerky strips, when there was no surface activity, I put on a copper john and let the fly sink for 10 to 15 seconds before making a slow retrieve. Kind of like fishing in a back eddy on the river.

The worm and bobber guy to my right would see a trout rise and throw his bobber in the swirl, with six feet of line and a sinker below the bobber, he would catch one or two to the 5 or six we were catching by tossing a dry to a swirl area and giving it just the slightest touch of a twitch every 5 seconds or so.

Funny I just read the fishing rivers or still water thread, and while I usually fish rivers, I have been thinking about getting the boat out next weekend to fly fish from it up at the lake. This last couple weeks has been a lot of fun catching and releasing those little 8-10 inch rainbows and browns. My boy is now almost as addicted as his dad. :)

lifesaflyin

Reaction score
i know the pond you are talking about. never caught anything there either. they are there though. back in feb some guys went ice fishing with a cam and saw them swimming about. i think they stay in the north end on the pond were its deeper.

another pond to check out is hermitage park pond just off the yellowhead by the north saskatchewan river, also if the pond doesnt produce the river is a 2 minute walk and along that whole side of the park you can catch big fish.

third is you can try muir lake but its by spruce grove, one heck of a drive to get skunked.

also on the whitemud and north saskachewan river right beside the quesnell bridge by the spillway there is a pool you can catch goldeye on the fly.

Reaction score
directions

please give me directions to that pool with goldeye in it:icon_mrgr please want to go there!:icon_mrgr

lifesaflyin

Reaction score
anywere near the quesnell bridge, the pool is on the north side. i wouldnt keep anything from the river though. mercury levels are really high.

doc

Reaction score
A good spot for goldeye is right at the bottom of the sunridge ski hill (strathcona science park). Wait 'til you see the Alberta wild rose start to bloom then it's time to cast a stimulator or and EHC to the rise forms near dusk.

P.S. PM sent check your inbox.

Cheers,
Doc