what fly for shad????

wabi

Reaction score
Stopped by the warm water discharge creek at a nearby powerplant today to have a look at fishing possibilities. Where the creek empties into the (Ohio) river there was a lot of surface activity. The surface temp was 57°F at that point so I hiked back to the truck and grabbed my 3wt rod (always in the truck ;)).

Tied a foam ant - nothing.
Tried an orange nymph - snagged one. :rolleyes: (yes, actually snagged in the back)
Tried several pattens I had in my fly box and could not get a hit at all.

The shad were coming to the surface, but didn't seem interested in taking a fly?

Any suggestions?

ghostdncr

Reaction score
I've found b!tch creek nymphs work well for them, both weighted and unweighted. An unweighted example short-stripped right through the middle of them should produce some hits. I weave the bellies in orange, yellow, or chartreuse. Where on the Ohio are you fishing?

wabi

Reaction score
I've found b!tch creek nymphs work well for them, both weighted and unweighted. An unweighted example short-stripped right through the middle of them should produce some hits. I weave the bellies in orange, yellow, or chartreuse. Where on the Ohio are you fishing?
I was at the powerplant (JM Stewart plant) just upriver from Aberdeen Ohio. At the mouth of Three Mile Creek.
Have to work in that area again tomorrow, looks like I need to do some tying tonight! :) Just hope the predicted rain isn't too bad.

I may throw the 6wt rod in the truck and see if I can tempt a white bass while I'm there.

ghostdncr

Reaction score
You're not all that far from Louisville, so what works here should be a fairly reasonable option for you. Where you find shad, stripers and wipers are likely to be nearby. I like intruders and clousers in baitfish colors for them. :thumbsup:

ghostdncr

Reaction score
I put a fly in the Fly Patterns section called Bernie's Bleeder.
Now that's a traditional shad fly, MP! I suppose you could tie that pattern in about any bright color and do well. Aren't there big runs of shad that folks actually target? I seem to recall the Sacramento River has a big run every year. Never tried eating one, but have been told they smoke pretty well.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Now that's a traditional shad fly, MP! I suppose you could tie that pattern in about any bright color and do well. Aren't there big runs of shad that folks actually target? I seem to recall the Sacramento River has a big run every year. Never tried eating one, but have been told they smoke pretty well.
The Sacramento River and its tributaries have huge runs of American Shad. I usually fish the Sacramento River just upstream of Sacramento in late April. I will fish the lower stretches of the American River through Sacramento County in May. Late May into June, I fish the Lower Yuba east of Marysville.

MP

ab fisher

Reaction score
EP minnows are good. get some congo hair from Fly tyers dungeon or just the regular EP material and you can tie up a bunch of color combos in all sizes

Tracker12

Reaction score
I can vouch or the Bernie Bleeder. MP hooked me up last year and it was hot on the Potomac for both Hickories and Americans. I have to think those are gizzard shad you are seeing this time of year.

wabi

Reaction score
These are gizzard shad I guess. Went back to the spot yesterday, but it was raining and the banks were soft sticky mud in most places. :(
I made a few casts just to say I tried, but I just couldn't get to any really good looking locations because of the rain/mud. I may go back in a few days, the mud should be solid ground by the weekend if the weather forecast holds true. :rolleyes: