sinking fly line tip

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi elk hair caddis,

In most cases it is because the end of the fly line is not sealed and water is migrating up the inside of your fly line. It could be due to cracks in the coating that causes the same problem. You may also have an old or inexpensive fly line. You can clean and dress the line if none of the above applies.

Frank

Jakeway

Reaction score
A few years ago I moved up to a Cortland 555 Dyna Tip and have had no issues with tip sinking since. And the line casts MUCH better than the $25 "big chain" store brands I had been using. Since then I've had great happiness with mid to upper tier lines from Cortland, Scientific Angler, and Rio. If you're on a budget, try to find something in the $35 range. Rio Mainstream is a good starting point.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Re: 25$

I baught a 25$ fly line is that to cheap?
Well....if the tip sinks, but the line casts fine, a little line dressing will help.
If you have a chance to try one of the "better" lines, you'll likely see a big
improvement in casting perfromance, but may still get a sinking tip. Line dressing from Scientific Anglers or Rio will solve that. I bought some SA line
dressing about a year ago for $6, and still have lots left. Cleaning
after each use will keep micro crud off the line, and go a long way to keeping the tip on top. In fact, I often the last few feet of a line if I'm fishing for a
while (especially in less than pristine water).

FrankB2

Reaction score
Line dressing has always worked for me. If your line is sinking at a 90 degree
angle to the water surface, a dressing may not help :eek::icon_mrgr.

Reaction score
budget

look here guys im only 11 years old i cant afford big stuff. sorry for stupid question but does any body have an old fly line that is good(better than mine)if you do i could give you my address.

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
If you don't have a chance to get a new line due to money try getting some dressing and see what happens. It's less expensive and might fix the issue.

onlymidges

Reaction score
Cleaning you line will help.You can also put some ZapaGap or SuperGlue on the end of your float line where you connect your leader. This will seal the end of you float line so no water can get in the line and weight it down.

Jr