Not Fishing But--Stupid. Stupid. Stupid

FISHN50

Reaction score
Here I am 2 wks before the fishing trip of my lifetime to Chile & I do this .
We had about 4 " of snow & I figured I'd run the snowthrower on the deck. I do it all the time as the thrower has rubber edges around the auger. I forgot to ck out the area I was cleaning & My wife left the dogs rope lead for the run laying on the deck. You see where this is going..... I was turning the thrower & pushing down on the handle, I had released the auger lever but i didn't realize that it was froze on & the darn thing was still turning, it grabbed the rope & took off like a dragster with me still holding on. It took me right down the stairs & off the deck. I'm lucky, all I did was mess up my shoulder & hopefully I'll recover before the trip. No broken bones...
When I was working I thought safety all the time & would never have let this happen but since I retired I've gotten a little lax. This was a wakeup for me. It all happened in an instant & I realize how lucky I was.
So just remember to take all the safety precautions for whatever equipment you're using. S*#t can happen in the blink of an eye.

The new Safer (No head up my butt)
Neil

gt05254

Reaction score
more than 20 years later, I can laugh about this, but never, and I mean NEVER, drink and run a 12 horsepower snowblower that tends to clog. trust me on this.

Bigfly

Reaction score
This is but one reason, I'm considering giving up winter all together.
I'm sending healing vibes to ya 50. Sold my Honda 928 last fall to avoid this kind of thing.
Please send a fish report on return.
I'm feeling the itch to travel, (Anywhere it's warm, that has fish..)

Jim

Last edited:

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Neil, **** can happen anytime you're dealing with power tools....Hope you feel better very soon and hope you have a great trip to Chile...Looking forward to the report and pics.
Dan

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Wow fishn50, glad to hear you're OK, though maybe a bit banged up.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a great trip. Take plenty of pics!

wjc

Reaction score
Neil,

Best of luck with that shoulder. Winter is hard for me even in the Keys. Both my shoulders are prone to pain now in the winters - mild though they are compared to most places.

I'm looking forward to a report when you get back too.

Cheers,
Jim

robbyjoe01

Reaction score
Hope ya heal soon brother. U soud like me. Careful as hell at work but come home and
almost kill yourself. I heard the most dangerous place in your house is your bathroom.

bjweller

Reaction score
Never had this happen but last summer I went to Montana for 8 days of straight fly fishing. I remember the week before not wanting to leave the house for fear of such an occurrence. I even stopped my daily run the week before, figuring that that would be the week that I would sprain or pull something. Take care of the shoulder and tell yourself that you're going to be better for the trip and you will.

Joni

Reaction score
OMG! I would be freaking! Healing thoughts for you!!! ALSO< Check out "Tart Cherry" at a health food store. SERIOUSLY! A natural pain reducer and much easier on your body than Ibuprofen or aspirin.

Keep us up to date on this please. But, "IF" something should happen and you are unable to make the trip, I would be more than happy to rearrange my schedule and go for you...;-)

Pocono

Reaction score
OK, Neil. Sounds like you have a better plan for the future.

Now - to the key question(s) - where are you going to fish in Chile; Northern Lakes district in Patagonia, South of Balmaceda, Tiera del Fuego? Let us know about the good stuff!

Glad you're doin' better; hope it wasn't your casting shouder!

Pocono

FISHN50

Reaction score
Hi & thanks for the nice comments. We're going to the Yelcho lodge
Hotel YELCHO| Hotel Chile|YELCHO|Flyfishing hotel |pesca patagonia| Chile south|patagonia hotels|hotel patagonia|lodge sur chile|qeulat chile|lodging patagonia|argentina fly fishing|lodge chile|patagonia argentina|carretera austral|hotel carretera au. I've never been there but one of my fishing buddies has & he's going back. I was able to go to the Somerset NJ fly Fishing Show today & walk around. Aside from aches & pains all over & not being able to lift my casting arm over my head I'm OK. Thank's Jon,i I'll look for that "Tart Cherry" tomorrow & no you can't have my spot.
Last week I went out & got a new camera for the scenery. My waterproof camera takes decent closeup snapshots but scenery comes out flat so I wanted to get a little better camera. I bought the Panasonic ZS6 at Costco & now I just have to figure out how to use it. I HATE ONLINE MANUALS !!!! Im going to put together a presentation for my T.U. Chapter meeting so I plan on taking a lot of pictures & I'll post some of them here when I get back.

Neil
PS Ck out the size of some of those fish on the Website.

ant

Reaction score
Jeez Neil..... hope you feel better quick. If it's swollen, I'd apply ice to it, and make sure that you move it around/use it a bit so that it doesn't stiffen up for you.

kevthebassman

Reaction score
Jeez Neil..... hope you feel better quick. If it's swollen, I'd apply ice to it, and make sure that you move it around/use it a bit so that it doesn't stiffen up for you.
Yep, this right here. If I were you, I'd make it a point to go out and do some casting to loosen everything up.

Pocono

Reaction score
Neil,

You'll have a great time there. The Northern Patagonia Lakes Region is beautiful and the fishing; floating or wading, is great. You'll probably fly into Puerto Montt, which has the only reasonably sized airport in Northern Patagonia.

The Yelcho is one of the 3 'big" fishing rivers in the area; the others are the Petrohue (near Puerto Varas) and the Puelo (near Puelo Bajo) . You'll also find that some of the tribs the feed Yelcho offer really good fishing; smaller fish, but some challenging wading as the streams are all steep gradient, so if you walk a mile up from where the trib hits the main river, you'll be in more than just the Andean foothills! But, the fishing in those small streams is great; and they're almost never fished.

Not to mention the scenery, the great food and the friendly people!

Be sure and pic/post on your trip when you return - I'm already feeling envious right now and I'm heading over the the Somerset NJ Fly Fishing Show today.

Have fun!

Pocono