Reaction score
Since my Lew Parks 7' 4wt split cane rod arrived, I dream about the thing at
night:eek::biggrin:!

I had to test it on the crappie this afternoon, and caught one that was
worth a pic and some video:

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO
They never seem as big in the pics, but this crappie was at least a foot
long, pushing 13". My hands are large to the point that gloves don't fit, and
my boots are a size 13, so that might add some perspective.

P.S.: That particular wooly bugger has been catching fish for the past month. It's very unusual for one to last that
long, but this sucker just wants to keep going.

Riverphish

Reaction score
I'll have to agree with you about bamboo, Frank. Although I've never caught crappie on one (the trout in the river were always hitting while they were biting in the lake and... well, you know...) I have caught a 13" BLUEGILL tho... and what a trip he took me on! :D

He was the size of a dinner platter and I was in a float tube on a pond. He towed me around for a good five minutes and I was laughing so hard I couldn't reel him in. Three of my buddies were with me and we all just cracked up when we saw how big that thing was.

At any rate, YES! 'Boo ROCKS! :biggrin: Keep fishing it and enjoy it...

best,
Mike

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Great pic and fish, glad you enjoy the rod so much.
One day I'll add a bamboo to my collection
Bear

FrankB2

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I wanted a bamboo rod ever since reading Trout Bum, but thought they
were too pricey, and might not perform well. I can honestly say that this
rod casts itself, and in the 2 hours I fished this afternoon, there wasn't a single bad cast. It loads just right, and the line lands like a feather.
I used a #8 Muddler (dry) for the last 30 minutes, and was surprised to see
that the rod handled it just fine. Leader was an 8.5' 4x. The rod weighs 3.3oz
on my digital scale: 2.8oz for the butt section, and .5oz for the tip. The butt
section is hollow built, and bends progressively while maintaining some nice
backbone.

burk48237

Reaction score
I'm not surprised by your comments on casting the Boo. I am convinced that in Eight feet and under rods, boo done right is the best material. My Tom Ciemiega has more reserve power then any Graphite in the same size class and it tracks better, is more accurate and it is easier to put a fly down softly. The only disadvantage is cost, and perhaps durability, but as more and more production high end graphite's approach 750$ I'm not sure that is as big of an issue either.

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I wanted a bamboo rod ever since reading Trout Bum, but thought they
were too pricey, and might not perform well. I can honestly say that this
rod casts itself, and in the 2 hours I fished this afternoon, there wasn't a single bad cast. It loads just right, and the line lands like a feather.
I used a #8 Muddler (dry) for the last 30 minutes, and was surprised to see
that the rod handled it just fine. Leader was an 8.5' 4x. The rod weighs 3.3oz
on my digital scale: 2.8oz for the butt section, and .5oz for the tip. The butt
section is hollow built, and bends progressively while maintaining some nice
backbone.
If you liked that book you ought to get Sex, Death, and Flyfishing also Where the Brook Trout are as long as your Leg. I have every book John G. has out and love them .
Bear

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Frank,
You'll love every one bud, I have read all mine at least 2 times.
Still you and Ard are getting REALLY wanting a boo again lol
Both pics, your crappie and rod and Ard's rod and reel look so good.
Bear

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Great pics and congrats on your rods gentlemen. They're beautiful.

mark

FrankB2

Reaction score
Hey Burk,
I forgot to ask about the specs on your splendid (required diction now) rod.
That's a nice trout BTW.

Hi Mark,
I think I'm going to move the TV, and stare at my rod instead :D .

P.S.: I missed up the link to my rod, so here it is again: CLICK HERE

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Frank,

I know what you mean about the hands. My Pennsylvania fishing buddy used to say that I needed to have a woman hold the fish for photos to make them look as big as they were. I'm 6'5" 225 lbs and can still stop a basketball while dribbling by palming it (really big paws) my hands make anything under 20 lbs look small!

You are finding that the things I said in our PM's about casting accuracy and the slow motion effect of wood rods is true I see. For fishing brush choked streams there is no substitute for a cane rod. They allow you to slow the line speed so that you can direct the back cast into sparse open areas as well as placing the delivery cast exactly where you want it. Frankly, it can not get any better than that!

Just wait till you get your opportunity to hit a good freestone or spring creek with it.

Ard

yellowhammer

Reaction score
glad to hear of another fisherman converted to the lovely reed, there is nonthing to compare to. I own quite afew of rods , some i made some flea market bargins, all of them are fished on aregular basis. I am making a harold gillium midge at th present can not wait to finish it. ou should see some of the lovely cases that i make to house the rods, that is fun also. all for now regards yellowhammer ps do not take talk about rod cases out of tex, just talking a bout something i enjoy, in no way am i trying to advertise, if this is not kosher please accept my apology, and remove it. thanks:frogdance

eaglesfn68

Reaction score
hey frank, i sent you a pm but i was wondering if you would like to fish luxemburg together one day during the summer.

FrankB2

Reaction score
hey frank, i sent you a pm but i was wondering if you would like to fish luxemburg together one day during the summer.

Are you tall blonde, 25-30 yr old, female :D ? It's tough for me to make specific plans beyond the next 24 hours, but give me a shout if you're going
to be over there....