Funny Encounters On the Stream

ausablebrown

Reaction score
It is often not the fishing that offers the most memorable details of our fishing trips. Chance encounters with wildlife, other anglers, weather, and sometimes even the fish leave us with some raucusly entertaining stories. Feel free to share your funny encounters here! I will start with the story of:

"Goldie the Kleptomaniac"

We had just finished breakfast at the Lone Pine Diner in Grayling MI and made our way to the small cul-de-sac parking lot at the end of one of the the sandy dirt roads that leads to the banks of the Holy Waters. We got out and began shed a few superflous layers that were needed to sleep under the stars in April up there. We would no longer need them as the mercury was now creeping into the lower 50's and the sun was peeking through a little. As we undressed we noticed a Golden Retriever gingerly wading out towards us and then finally, engaging in a full swim traversed the slow moving pool and ambled his way up onto the bank. He doddled over, said hello, recieved a few rubs on the neck and then just seemed to loiter for a bit around us and the car. We had kind of lost track of him while we were swapping out jackets, and wool sweaters for waders and vests. We really had no reason to keep tabs on him, or at least we thought.

The next thing you know, we heard a huge splash! Suddenly the slow moving old retriever had made a sporting dogs dive off the bank and into the pool, and hanging from his mouth was my brothers LL Bean wool sweater! We both dashed and stumbled, my brother still only in his stockingfoots , jockeying for position and managed to flank him and drive him back to our shore. That was not the end however. He hunkered down in the tall grass, half laying on the sweater, and placed a lumberjacks grip on it with his jaws. After about 5 minutes of "no, drop, give" and finally some mild ear twisting he surrendered the booty. He immediately left sulking and made his way back across the stream as though he had been defeated at his own game. It was mildly annoying, but it was also rather cute. It's pretty hard to get upset with a Golden Retriever.

Two days later we returned to the same sandy cul-de-sac to wade the opposite direction this time. We hoofed it upstream about 1/2 of a mile and then entered the water to fish our way back. We had nearly finished our wade when we heard some ruckus coming from the far bank through the thicket. As is often the case, the truth is stranger than fiction; Goldie was at it again! We heard the men yelling back and forth, saw them rapidly bushwacking a path in pursuit of the swiftly moving golden. We never did see what he had pilfered this time, or get a chance to talk with the other anglers. They were in hot pursuit away from us when we saw them.

It was quite an encounter, and it will be remembered long after I have fotgotten every fish from that day. We were a little annoyed during our encounter, but could not hold back the boistrous laughter when it was happening to someone else. Perhaps Goldie was working alone and had a rather pricey stash of fishing gear and clothing buried, or perhaps he was someone's "Oliver Twist"?

Please share your stories, it will distract me from watching the calendar...67 days to mayflies...

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
That is really a good one man :D and you did a great job of conveying me to the scene of the 'grab' right with you. I haven't seen too many really funny things while fishing but two that come to mind involved nets and fishermen. I will leave this post for now and add the stories of the net people later today.

Great story Ausable,

Ard

ausablebrown

Reaction score
All those years and you havn't seen too many funny things? This dog was probably the funniest by far, but it seems that I'm always encountering lifes oddities while on fishing trips! Maybe I'm fishing in the twilight zone...:eek:

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Great story AuSable....

I have a couple of good canoe hatch stories; this one took place on the PM. We were fishing along the clay banks just above the "Stairs" below the Green Cabin. The hatch was getting very thick as the afternoon came upon us, and as anyone who has witnessed the hatch knows; much alcohol has been consumed by this stage of the trip.

We moved down to the stairs to take a breather and decide what we were going to do with the rest of our afternoon. When we got there some folks were dragging a cooler and some lawn chairs down to the gravel bar. We chatted a bit and we finally asked what they were doing. They replied that they had not been able to rent a canoe; so watching others at this point in the trip would be the next best thing.

We decided this was as good a place as any to take our afternoon break; especially after they offered us a cold beer. Soon after we sat down the show began, with the novices and drunks providing wonderful entertainment as they crashed and collided their way past us.

The best show we saw was the two very drunk paddlers who rolled their canoe in the 12"s of water right in front of us as they tried to pick up a hat one of them had dropped. After standing up chasing his hat and falling a number of times, then jumping into the canoe and rolling it again; he asked, "Do you think this is funny?"... We were rolling on the gravel bar helpless with laughter, when my buddy was able to stop and tell him "Oh H**L Yes!"... We were almost crying when he flipped us off and dragged himself back into his canoe...

After the show, the people with the cooler said "See, next best thing"....

Dan

ausablebrown

Reaction score
:stretcherThe only thing holding me back from saying that is hilarious is the fact that I have been the one in the canoe! I was not drunk, but I was highly inept at canoing. Me being 265, and my wife being 110 in the front of the canoe may have doomed us from the beginning; it was riding really low in the back and was hard to steer. I was on a river on that crossed the border of MO and Arkansas; the water was up about 10-15 percent over normal flow and the spectators were out in droves, and they sure knew where to park their chairs. :popcorn: There was a very wide pool that channelled all into the left side and narrowed down from 100 ft wide to about 15. Alright, no problem, except for the 100 year old oak that had grown from the bank at a 45 degree angle and covered most of that narrow lane of water. It couldn't have been designed any better by hand to closeline canoers out of there canoes! I kid you not, in the middle of the northern Arkansas wilderness, there were at least 25 people camped out there to watch, and they made no apologies about it! There were a couple of them helping people collect their gear as they paused from rolling around laughing!

I bet you that oak took out 8 out of 10 canoes that tried to go through!

diamond rush

Reaction score
I was on one of my favorite streams in southeast Minnesota, making a general mess of the day. I was new to the sport and had spooked pretty much every trout in the stream before I could cast to it. I was bemoaning my poor luck when I heard a small splash about 30 meters behind me on the stream. I turned around just in time to see a mink dart out of the stream with a 3-4" brown trout in its mouth.

I literally got outfished by a weasel. It was humbling, but it was much neater to see a mink catch a fish than to catch that same trout myself.

A couple weeks later, I had the joy of watching that same mink teaching its baby mink how to fish at a pool a little farther upstream. The tables were turned that day. They got skunked and I caught a nice trout.

ausablebrown

Reaction score
I remember being scared out of my wader belt once by one of those sneaky buggers. I was sitting still resting a fish, and taking a shot at the flask, maybe a smoke or two as I leaned against a big log sweeper. He made a not so graceful entry about 4 feet down the log from me! They don't seem to be any to concerned about you when you're standing in the water do they?

kevthebassman

Reaction score
My funniest stories generally involve my friends and I, canoes, and copious amounts of alcohol. Let me preface this by saying that I've seen the error of my ways and that much more was on the line than I thought. Alcohol and water are best mixed in tumblers, and driving is best left to the unimpared.

One such story had my brother and I paddling maybe 50 yards behind my best friend and his girlfriend. They had been having a spat all day long, and weren't getting along very well. The river we were on, I don't recall which right now, came to a shallow section, with swift current. It was probably 100 feet wide, with a huge sunken tree smack in the middle of it. The tree was probably 4 feet wide, so on either side there was 48 feet of open river. They couldn't agree on which way to go, and ended up hitting that tree head on at a very rapid clip. Their canoe was instantly and simultaneously sunk and emptied of it's contents. I still bring that story up years later.

The second notable story had me and my future wife paddling down the Black River with the same best friend and his same girlfriend. The alcohol consumption on this trip got way out of hand. Actually, I should say that my wife and my buddy's GF stopped drinking an hour into the float, because me and my buddy were so out of control.

The second half of the float found us completely slobberknockered. At one point we came upon two younger gentlemen of asian descent paddling, and proceeded to make oh-so-astute observations about the fuel efficiency, reliability, and "wwerry honorable" nature of their canoe. It was good natured ribbing and they took it with a laugh, or maybe they just didn't feel like picking a fight with two overgrown gorillas who were certainly drunk enough that no amount of pain would register.

In the last mile of the trip, we happened upon a group of paddlers who had made a large cooler FULL of jello shots (small cups of jello made with alcohol, for those who don't know) and had managed to consume very few of them. They kindly enlisted our help, and over the objections of our much smarter women, my friend and I disposed of a dozen or so jello shots each. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

About the time we found our landing, my buddy lost what was left of his motor control. At the same time, a late-summer downpour began to soak the area. I held it together marginally better than my friend, and managed to hop the bus to our campground to go pick up the truck and trailer to get our canoes. Only I had hopped the wrong bus, and was left with a 4 mile walk to the campground, with another mile back to our actual campsite.

The walk sobered me up enough to where I thought I could drive, and luckily Murphy didn't pick that day to prove me wrong. I managed to get truck, trailer, canoes and friends back to the campsite in one piece, though all the people involved were a little rough around the edges.

canine

Reaction score
one day my dad and I were fishing together. We were at an L-shaped bend in the creek. Dad was sitting at the bottom of the L, facing up stream (the river turned and went to his right) He was sittin on a rock with his legs in the water, fishing with an ultra-light. I was in the elbow of the creek across from him, so i could drift the whole bend. all of the sudden as i'm watching my line I hear this god-awful splashing. I looked up, and he is rolled back, beating the water furiously with his fishin pole, legs up out of the water, high in the air. After about 30 seconds, he kind of gathers himself up onto the bank, looks up with a grin, and says "copperhead". Apparently it had just popped it's head up right between his kneecaps. Though that might be one of those things you need to be there to appreciate.

FISHN50

Reaction score
My buddy should be writing this as it happened to me
Last summer we were out on the Bighorn river & we had rented a driftboat. My buddy was rowing & I was up in the bow fishing. I was wearing my inflatable PFD as usual, but I had unsnapped it & it was hanging loose. I sat down to take a short break & we came around a bend into a really good looking spot. I went to stand back up to make a cast & the vest lanyard got caught on the bow cover & the vest inflated suddenly. Since I didn't have the front snapped it rode right up to around my head & it took a instant for me to figure out what happened. So there I was with big yellow cheeks With my buddy laughing so hard he almost fell off the seat. Well at least I know it works...
Neil

littledavid123

Reaction score
This didn't happen on a stream but it still makes me laugh when thought about.

I was out hunting arrowheads and walking thru an area of bare dirt with my thoughts concentrated on this little hill just ahead. There was a patch of high grass maybe six feet in circumference in the middle of the bare dirt and I just started walking thru it when a hen turkey sitting on a clutch of eggs jumped to flight under my feet, she was so close that her wings were hitting me as she flew up. And I have to admit that on this particular day, I screamed like a little girl. My buddy who was there called me Nancy all day.

Dave

diamond rush

Reaction score
@Dave

If I had a dollar for every time a wooduck did that to me on the tiny trout streams I fish, I'd have a new fly rod for the upcoming season.

ausablebrown

Reaction score
Nice story NANCY! Though some of those larger birds are not joke. You don't want to get hit by those flailing wings. I know a girl that works at a bird sanctuary with a trumpeter swan pond.... The pair that they are breeding literally has a graveyard full of geese, ducks, and racoons on their nesting island. She watched it throw a racoon 10 ft or so through the air into a tree and killed it instantly!

wt bash

Reaction score
This falls in the "had to be there" catagory but last summer my cousin and I went up to the Flatbrook in NJ and while driving around trying to find the access road I noticed from the corner of my eye a funny blue flower ( I could use a set of glasses). Then the flower jumped out in front of the car! It was a massive gobbler! I locked up the brakes and screamed one of the loudest roars ever! It made my cuz scream out of fear of not knowing what the hell was going on! I laughed so hard, we literally sat there in the middle of the road for atleast ten minutes just cracking up with that big dude just struting his stuff in the road. EVery time I'm out on the water something happens from nearly being run down by a doe, getting "painted" while standing under an apparent heron roost, to a Nissan Exterra loaded with Buddhists who needed me to start it for them.

wjc

Reaction score
Though some of those larger birds are not joke. You don't want to get hit by those flailing wings.

I heard a guy screaming for help one early summer evening from the far side of the cove I lived on in Maine. I went out on the deck and saw him being double-teamed by a pair of loons attacking his head from the front and back every time he tried to come up for air. He was thrashing around about 50 - 60 yds from shore out for an evening swim. He must have gotten too close to the young.

His relatives scrambled into action and went out in a boat to rescue him before he drowned.

Cheers,
Jim

ausablebrown

Reaction score
Ouch...You probably don't want to fight them in their element! He's lucky those little suckers didn't start submarining on him; they could have really done some damage down below too!

ausablebrown

Reaction score
I haven't seen too many really funny things while fishing but two that come to mind involved nets and fishermen. I will leave this post for now and add the stories of the net people later today.
Ard
Still waiting on your stories if you get a chance Ard...I forgot all about it until now, but I was really looking forward to them. Hope you have time to share!
-Jason