Removing Split Shot

Tracker12

Reaction score
I picked up a tool for removing split shot that was great. problem is that I lost it today on the water when my zinger came unbuttoned. It was a small set of pliers with blue handles. I think someone recomended it on here. Anyone have an idea what the name of it was?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Tracker12: That problem is why I started using the soft tungsten material. It gives you more control on how much weight you are using and it comes off the leader so much easier.

Larry

yellowhammer

Reaction score
Hello, I do not know the name of the pliers, but if you go to any hobby shop, more than likly they will have what you are looking for, thats where i got mine. Go to the beads and necklace dept. should be there. mine has orange handles, i sharpen the blades on the tips as fine as i could , thats all i use to remove split shots, also they are good tool for a lot of things. ie hooks in fingers for one dont ask how i know. regards Yellow Hammer

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Tracker12: That problem is why I started using the soft tungsten material. It gives you more control on how much weight you are using and it comes off the leader so much easier.

Larry
Larry,

Do you find that you tend to lose or have slide down the leader the softer tungsten material more often than the harder equivalents?

Neil

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Tracker12,

Are one of these the Blue Handle pliers you are asking about?

Hi Neil,

If you are having trouble with split shot slipping down the leader maybe one of these ideas will work for you.

1. Use the split shop with ears on the back side of the split shot like the picture below.

2. Lay the leader across the split shot opening like you normally do. Instead of crimping the shot closed, make a loop around the shot passing it threw the ears on the back side, then lay it again into the opening.

3. Now crimp the shot on the two pieces of leader in the opening. You have to pull the loop tight first. The back ears will keep the leader looped around the shot from slipping off. This only works with shot with the ears on the back side.

Here is the method that I use the most.

1. Cut off the tippet of your leader.

2. Tie a Perfection loop in the end of the leader.

3. Take the appropriate length of tippet and tie a Perfection Loop in the tippet.

4. Fasten the two loops together.

5. Place the split shot on the Tippet loop above the knot. The knot will keep the split shot from slipping down.

6. Now choose how far from the split shot you want the first fly to be and tie on your fly. If you use split shot with ears you can remove the shot if you want to change your setup.

One other method.

1. Take your tippet and tie a dropper loop in the leader at the point you want to add split shot.

2. Pull the loop as tight as you can. Make sure you make opposing pulls holding the tippet above the loop knot and below the loop knot. This will make sure the knot will not slip.

3. Now cut off the loop close to the knot.

4. Fasten your split shot above the knot and tie your first fly the desired distance below the knot.

Frank

JohnLL

Reaction score
I suspect this is what you were thinking of. Micro split shot pliers.

"This tool’s main purpose is to press and remove round (non-removable) lead split shot on or off the line with ease and precision. It comes in handy when setting up your rig and handling lead safely that other pliers can’t manage." ect. I have no personal experience with it.

View attachment 2380

Attachments

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Neil, I hope it helps. You can use just about any make. Most fly shops should have then and so does Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops.

JohnLL, thanks for your photo of the pliers. When did you find that picture? Or, where can members buy those pliers. I see this is your first post so welcome to the forum.

Frank

Tracker12

Reaction score
John
That is the exact tool I was talking about. It is outstanding. Found it on a web site last night actually and plan on ordering two figuring with my track record I surely will lose one. Thanks for posting the pic.

For me non eared weight just drifts better and gets hung up a lot less.

JohnLL

Reaction score
Frank, thanks for the welcome! The picture came from Centerpin Reels. I considered buying these awhlie ago but I cannot remenber the US source. Maybe Tracker12 can help.
A little OT- I can recommend a gadet that makes it easier to apply micro shot. Go here Wacker Baits and scroll down to Shot Anchor Shot. It is not perfect but it is a big help applying # 6's.

JohnLL

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. For some reason as you navigate the Wacker Bait site the http address does not change. Anyway go back to the site and scroll down looking for "Float Fshing" on the left side near the bottom. Click that and look for "Accessiories" on the float fishing page. Click that and scroll down looking for this product copy:

"ANCQUx!
SizeNo.6 0.1g No.8 0.06g No.10 0.04g
We are very excited about our new innovative product that will make angling easier and more accessible to those who have never tried using micro shot before. Putting micro shot on to the line has always been fiddly, difficult and a precarious operation, particularly for those with big hands or poor eye sight." ect