a couple basic nymphs for trout.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
gonna try my luck for brown trout tomorrow for the 1st time so i tied up a few nymphs they mentioned to use. they said to make them in size 14 to 18 but all I got was 14's so I made do with what I had. did make some size 16 drys tho
1st tie is a copper john. 2nd is a pheasent tail and 3rd is a caddis nymph. 4th is a olive/brown deer hair caddis dry fly

the copper john used copper wire, peacock herl and partridge for the legs and also some mylar flash.
the pheasent tail used pheasent tail, copper wire and peacock herl with the mylar flash and the caddis used chartruese midge tubing and some peacock black ice dubbing. the deer hair caddis used olive/brown dubbing, brown hackle and some deer hair. these are on size 14 hooks also but dry instead of wet.

Attachments

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
thanks man! I haven't tied nymphs since I started fly fishing 2 years ago and all those were size 12's and were ugly cause I was new.. I just made these and these size 14's and 16's kick your butt! I can't even imagine tying some size 22's or 32's! I made griffins gnats in 16's screw some 20's for now cause i don't got those size hooks! haha. mine are just midges on steroids I guess. lmao

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gorgeous job George:icon_lol:
if you allow me to give you a piece of advice,don't use heavy nymphs ,they're really unpleasant to cast and please pinch the barb:wink:

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
Nice ties!!!! Those flies all look great. You can always tie nymphs on dry fly hooks and nymphs on dry fly hooks. Thats what I do all the time. It does feel wrong at times and I do have to see my physciatrist because of deep feelings of guilt, but it works. LOL. Seriously, nowwhere is it written down that a fly tier has to do such a thing such a way. Flies such as the Clouser Deep Minnow weren't invented by fly tiers doing everything just like everybody else. Think about it. If everyone sat down and tied a dry fly with hackle 3/4 of the hook shank, wings as long as the hook shank, a tail the proper length, a body dubbed in the perfect taper, ect. Would you have that Elk Hair Caddis, Stimulator, Chernobyl Ant, Daves Hopper, or Neversink Caddis in your box know. No. Flies are constantly changing, improving, and incorporating new materials and tieing techniques. So feel free to use those size 16 hooks in the nymphs. Wow. I just sat back and read this.How did I get all this out of that. Anyways, Try something new at the vise tonight, it might just change your life. LOL:wink:

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
Gorgeous job George:icon_lol:
if you allow me to give you a piece of advice,don't use heavy nymphs ,they're really unpleasant to cast and please pinch the barb:wink:
Have to agree with JP heavy nymphs are for fast water otherwise its all in how you cast them to make them sink faster, they are nice looking flies George

Chris

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
Tying nymphs in a couple of different weights is a good idea. Learning to cast a heavier nymph is not a long learning curve, you sort of lob rather than cast because the nymph, being heavier does offer more resistance to change in direction when you are casting.

YouTube - The Nymph Cast

This is not exactly what I mean but it is a good technique to use when czech nymphing or when using any heavy nymph. Typically a short line and a "lob" rather than a traditional cast. There may be better video clips out there if you have a look around.