Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Pet Inspired Patterns / Uses

1. Default Pet Inspired Patterns / Uses

OK - I have read a few posts about tyers using their pets fur or feathers. I had a wonderful cat named bootsie who had amazing fur. She is long gone now - but I still have some hair in a dubbing dispenser that I use for a bootsie version of a hares ear nymph.

So - Lets hear from all of the tyers that have used a pet of some sort for tying purposes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fly Fishing Artist
    Jonathon A. Waske
    http://dryflywaters.com/

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pet Inspired Patterns / Uses

Oscar the Budgie

The hairwing on this Alsation Spey is made out of.....yep Alsatian tail hair.

Blog Entries

my cousins cat is great for grey dubbing so he has a lifetime supply of grey

My cat, Sysco, her hair is very soft, I use it in the same way as rabbit fur. A simple grub or Rat Tail Maggot pattern work great. She is orange tabby and well, when dubbed it a nice maggot color. These little grubs work great on pan fish.
    <*))))>< Fish with teeth ... If I ty it a fish will hit it

The very first time I ever tried to tie a fly, I set up my vise with a hook and realized that I had no tying material except thread. I looked around, saw my loyal dog "Toby," a golden retriever, looking up with an excited look that seemed to say, "Try me!" So I did. I reached down, cut some rear flank hair and tied my first fly. I fished the fly in a local pond but snagged it on a bush in the water. I waded out, retrieved it, and have since enshrined it for posterity. Of course I call it the "Toby Fly."

We had a pet rabbit once. It died a natural death years ago, but it some ways it seems like it's still with us

Just don't mention that to my wife
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Fur from my sisters black lab Shadow and my parents red mutt Cassie have both found there way into the coffee grinder I use to make dubbing. The natural fur adds a really buggy look to a blend of synthetic yarn from the craft store. Here is a scud tied with Shadow and Cassie fur in the dubbing.
    Cab's Olive Scud

Cabot