Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Wet / Streamer Tie-Along?

Default Re: Wet / Streamer Tie-Along?

Kelly, Both of those will catch for you! I'd fish the first one deeper; more like a hackled nymph. The second will be good on the rise at the end of a drift.

Body on the second one is definitely "buggy"! I like it a lot. Hackle looks really symmetrical and well proportioned. I use 3906's; sproat bend looks good on the fly. It's really hard to beat a Mustad hook for classic wet flies.

...............do I hear something ticking in the background..............!

Pocono

Glad you liked them. Yes, they are buggy. I think a Flymph is attractive to fish for it's bugginess a lot. I hear that clock ticking too, and I am getting a bit stressed. As always, I have bitten off more than I can chew it seems. But I do have that one fly I could take a photo of for the Salmon tie. I want to make another one or two before I call it quits on that pattern for the class. Tick tick tick...oh my.
    As long as I get a bite, I don't want to leave!

Kelly, Yes, since Hiddy's concept was to try to imitate a rising pupa, you have quite a few options with the Flymph. Fished close to the bottom; weighted or with split shot, I'd keep it relatively tight on the body with a short hackle, like your first fly. For a rising pattern (almost an emerger), I'd tie it unweighted, very buggy and with a longer hackle (more moving parts).

Pocono

OK here is my Adams Flymph flies

Popperfly >-<(((((*>

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

those are both very nice.

Picket Pin Step-by-Step

Here’s a pattern that can be tied as either a winged wet or a streamer; depending on the hook that you choose to tie it on.

The pattern was developed for fishing Western US waters by Jack Boehme of Missoula, MT, sometime after 1915; so this pattern goes back a ways. As Deanna Birkholm explains, they are dressed from the tails of ground squirrels (gophers/prairie dogs). The cowboys gave the ground squirrel the name of “picket pin” as the animal, when sitting upright on the prairie, looks like a picket pin; something that they used to picket out their horses. They are a popular hairwing fly in the Northwest.

I was a little short on prairie dog tails, so I used Gray Squirrel, but many types of soft hair can be used on this pattern. I tie it according to Jerry Bortz; the person who first showed it to me. Flytyer will appreciate this pattern, because he was one of the instructors in Jerry's class.

Here’s the step-by-step:

1. These are the materials that you’ll need to tie up this pattern; a little more extensive than on the last 3 patterns. I used Uni 8/0 olive thread, .015” lead, Danville fine gold wire, peacock herl (use the longest barbs you can get ahold of!), Ringneck cock pheasant tail, hen hackle (make it as narrow as possible; I used med. Ginger, but any brown or brown-like hackle will do fine) and squirrel tail (this was a really nice, full tail from a local trapper friend of mine.)

2. I was going to tie this pattern as a wet fly, but we just finished up the Adams Flymph, so I decided to dress it as a streamer (also easier to see in a step-by-step). I used a 6xl TMC 300 hook, #8. Thread the front 10% of the hook; starting at the point where you want to form your shoulder.

3. Next, starting at the middle of the shank, wrap .015 lead (or lead substitute) forward toward the eye. I used 20 wraps because I like to get my streamers down into the water column quickly.

4. Next, anchor the lead to the shank with tying thread. It helps later on to taper the front of the lead into the body. The back can be left untapered.

5. Now, take 8-10 Ringneck Pheasant tail barbs, stack them with a hair stacker and tie them in at the back of the shank. They should be about shank length when tied in. Allow the waste ends to extend forward and bind them down all the way to the back of the lead.

6. Cut off the waste ends of the pheasant barbs and smooth them into the back of the lead. Then tie in some fine gold wire and butt wrap it back to the tail tie-in point.

7. Next, form a long dubbing loop with the tying thread at the tail tie-in point and wind the thread forward to the back of the lead.

8. Now, select 4 long peacock herl barbs and tie them in together by the base of the barbs on the top of the hook. Hold them along the top of the hook and wind your thread back to the tail tie-in point.

9. Next you’re going to form a “herl rope” from the 4 peacock herl barbs and the dubbing loop. The reason for forming this rope is to give more strength to the 4 peacock herl barbs. To form the rope, simply wrap the dubbing loop around the 4 herl barbs; winding it diagonally down the barbs until you reach the bottom. At this point, put a good pair of lightweight hackle pliers on the waste ends of the herl barbs and the dubbing loop. [Note: You can see the olive green dubbing loop wound down the herl barbs in the pic below. I used olive tying thread for this pattern because I wanted it to blend in as well as possible with the herl barbs.]

10. Now, tie in a hen hackle on the bottom of the hook at a spot that’s just in front of the herl rope. Tip tie it in after having prepped the hackle that same way that we did for the Adams Flymph, the Woolly Bugger and the Partridge & Orange.

11. Next, wrap the herl rope diagonally forward to the head of the fly; leaving about 1/5th of the shank un-wrapped. Tie off the herl with 3-4 flattened wraps and let it hang; do not cut off the herl rope, you’re going to need it again later.

12. Take the fine gold wire and counter-wrap a rib on the body; tie it off at the same point as the herl rope using 3 flattened wraps. [Note: this is not so much a rib for the fly as it is additional protection for the herl body. You can make the ribs as close as you want; I left mine fairly far apart.]

13. Now, wind the hackle up the body to the point where you’ve tied off the herl rope and the gold wire. You’re palmering this hackle, so pull the hackle barbs back as you wind the stem around the hook.

14. Next, it’s time to put the wing on the fly. First, cut off the hackle stem close to the body. Then, take a bunch of Gray Squirrel tail hairs, stack them in a hair stacker and tie them on the top of the hook, so that the black band on the tail hairs ends at the same point as the body. Use soft loops to attach the squirrel hairs; 2-3 should do it, then go with 4-5 firm wraps to hold the wing in place. [Note: If you ever use something like Zap-a-Gap thin, then this is a good point to apply a small drop.]

15. Trim up the waste ends of the hairwing; taper them down towards the eye as you cut them off. Now, wind the herl rope over the wing tie-in and forward to the head. [Note: you’ll note that I used every bit of herl rope on this 6xl streamer hook; the hackle pliers were right up against the hook when I finished the last wrap of herl. So, be sure to use long herl barbs if you’re going to tie this pattern as a streamer!]

16. Next, form a small head with tying thread; just in front of where you tied off the herl rope.

17. Trim up the fly, secure the head with 2-3 half hitches or a whip finish and, if you want, coat the head with cement (I use SHAAN).

And that’s it; the Picket Pin!

Feel free to substitute materials in this pattern; I’ve seen it tied many different ways.

As always, post or PM me with any questions that you have.

Pocono
    Last edited by Pocono; 03-27-2011 at 05:59 AM.

Neat SBS

That Picket Pin, and tutorial is outstanding Allan. That is one of the best I have ever seen. You did a fantastic job on it!
    As long as I get a bite, I don't want to leave!

Blog Entries

Here's my first! I agree, the tutorial was fantastic!

Anthony Laurence
    www.anthonylaurence.net
    Web Developement and Design
    FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog

OK, had a bit of time today so here is my Picket Pin...

I really enjoyed tying this pattern, I think it was a nice break from some of teh smaller hooks I have been using...

Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast