Wet / Streamer Tie-Along?

Pocono

Reaction score
With the Salmon Fly Tie-Along nearing the final turn, I thought it might be fun to tie up some of the wet fly and streamer patterns that we’ll all be fishing in a couple of months. The idea would be to tie up 6 patterns, with a photo step-by-step for each one. The pace for the Salmon Fly Tie-Along has been close to one/month, but since these will be less complex patterns to tie up, I was thinking of one per week. That way we’d be through with all of the patterns just about the time that fishing season opens up on most of the public water streams and lakes.

Here are the flies that I was thinking about for this tie-along. The first 3 would all be classified as wet flies, the second 3 as streamers.

1. Partridge and Orange (soft hackle)
2. Adams (flymph)
3. Leadwing Coachman (winged wet)
4. Wooley bugger (streamer)
5. Picket Pin (hairwing streamer)
6. Black Ghost (featherwing streamer)

I was also thinking that we could tie them up going from the least complex patterns to more complex patterns and, at the same time, alternate between wets and streamers, so that we can get a good mix going from the start. With this in mind, I’d suggest that we take the patterns in the following order:

1. Partridge and Orange
2. Wooley Bugger
3. Adams
4. Picket Pin
5. Leadwing Coachman
6. Black Ghost

If there’s interest in this Wet/Streamer Tie-Along, then I’ll post the details on the patterns and the recipes for each of them, so that you can source any materials that you don’t already have.

This tie-along is designed for tyers of all skill levels, from beginners (I’ve never tied up a fly in my life, but I sure would like to give it a try), to experts, and everyone in between.

The start time for posting the first photo step-by-step would be March 1st.

This is not a fly swap, so you don't have to tie up these patterns for anyone else; you'll be tying them up for yourself; one of each or as many of each as you want to tie/fish.

As you go along, if you want to post pics of your flies, then that would be a plus, but it's not a requirement.

Chime in if you’d be interested. I think it’ll be fun!

Pocono

Pocono

Reaction score
Kelkay and Carman9941,

Welcome to the tie-along!

Let's see how many others are interested. If we get a good number, then I'll start to post the pattern recipes before this weekend.

Pocono

twfitw

Reaction score
Well I am in as well! This'll be just one more thing revving up the engine for the coming spring!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is a great opportunity to learn some new techniques. Pocono gives very detailed instructions with pictures that make it very easy to follow. You will get help with material selection and techniques. Take a look at the Salmon Fly Tie Along and you will see the quality photos and instructions. This Tie Along will not be near as dificult as the Salmon Fly Tie Along.

You will learn how to tie a soft hackle, a winged flymph, a winged wet fly and three different streamers. All of the patterns are proven fies and will be usefull where ever you fish. I see a lot of new fly tiers posting all the time and this will be a great learning experience. I would bet there are a lot of long time tiers that might need some help with a Winged Wet fly like the Lead Wing Coachman. An outstanding wet fly.

So all of you who think they might like to do this Tie Along but don't think you have the skills, please join in. Its not worth Allan's time and effort if we don't have several members. You can join the list and participate even if you decide not to show your flies. This Tie Along is intended to be instructinal and FUN.

Frank

wovenstonefly

Reaction score
I'll try and participate. Things are going to get busy for me soon so I might not be able to tie all the flies with you guy's but I'll participate when I can

EXPATRIATE

Reaction score
Hello Allan Yes-I have tied all the patterns listed and even the Picket Pin though it's been awhile and I believe I have all the recipes in my notebook and if I don't I'll look them up on the net. So let's go then! And Thanks, Frank. I should think my tying will improve fairly quickly with all the help I'm getting. Here we go then-spending more on fly tying stuff-and LOVING it!

Pocono

Reaction score
Twfitw, Allen, Ard, Chris and Flytier07 - welcome to the tie-along!

That's 8 so far, with me. I'll keep an eye out for others; it would be nice to have between a dozen and two dozen in on this tie-along.

I'll go ahead and post the recipes this weekend and will plan to put up the first photo step-by-step the following weekend.

Pocono

Pocono

Reaction score
Yup, bad habit of mine! :) It's empty (well, relatively empty; only 90% full) now.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Pocono

Jimmie

Reaction score
Count me in Pocono. I'll follow your tutorials anyday. Plus, I have time being retired like you. Sounds funny, huh.
However, I'm just dogmeat awful with pictures. I'll try though.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on this. I'll play along, too, sounds fun. Plus just the other night my wife commented that I haven't been tying flies for the last couple weeks, what a woman! This looks like a great group so far. I'll try to post pictures along the way as well.

FISHN50

Reaction score
I'm behind on a few Salmon Flies too, but this sounds like fun. I'll try to keep up between trips. I have a few planned in the near future.

Neil

P.S. Striper Season March First