Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter Setup

Default Starter Setup

Hello,
    I am looking to get into fly tying, but I don't have a lot of money right now to buy a real great vise with school and a wedding to pay for. So I am looking at the Cabela's brand deluxe tying kit (or even the standard), the White River Fly Shop™ Fly Tying Kit from bass pro, or the Economy Fly Tying Vise & Tool Kit
    by: J. Stockard on JSflyfishing.com. I would have just posted links but I couldn't figure out how on here. Does anyone have any experience with any of these?
    Thanks, Cabot

2. Default Re: Starter Setup

Hi Cabot,
    Just a suggestion that may appeal to you. If you get one of those kits you're gonna have a lot of stuff you may never use.
    I would just think about a couple, maybe three or four simple patterns you want to tie. Simple thread midges are always on the menu and are easy starter flies. Charlies Flybox is a great site for recipes. Here's a link Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials Each recipe has a list of materials that Charlie will supply for the patterns you chose.
    J Stockard is a good place to get your basic tools. If you go bare bones you can get a vise, bobbin, bobbin threader, and scissors for about $25.
    I'm new to tying myself and went this route to see if the whole process appealed to me. Of course now I'm hooked and see fly making materials in everything around me. Then there are some materials you can get at Craft and Hobby stores that work well and don't cost you fly shop prices. But that's a whole other story.
    I'm sure you will be getting lots more advice from the good people here. Good luck and enjoy your new hobby.
    Yat

Default Re: Starter Setup

Speaking from experience, I also suggest that you get a basic tying tool selection with a basic vise, something like a Thompson A vise. Then, according to the species and type of waters you fish, determine what flies you need and buy just the material you need for those flies. In no time, you will accumulate a decent collection of material. Another advantage, you don't fork over a large sum of money but buy what you need as you need it. Seems to hurt less in the wallet. And Yatahey is right, you start to see tying material all over the place.

Blog Entries

ive seen the cabelas ones in person and was not to pleased with there looks idk how they will perform but i didnt like them.... idk about the bass pro shops one and looking at the js stockard one that has tools and vise i really like the looks of it..id go with the js then cabelas then bass

I would stay away from fly tying kits, you get a lot of material that you will probably never use. Buy your tools in a kit as was mentioned.

Think about what patterns you will tye and fish, then do a google search for recipes for those specific patterns.

Another option is to buy a "pattern" kit, they will include detailed instructions and all the materials needed to tye a dozen flies.

We had a member demonstrate and teach a number of our beginner members how to tye a damsel fly using one of these kits. He tied a beautiful example for them to see prior to our meeting. He ran them through the pattern, and most of the guys tied a really nice fly. He then told us that his example fly was the first damsel he has tied, he used the pattern sheet from the kit. The kit he used had all the material needed to tye a dozen flies and included a sample fly. The instruction sheet was very detailed with color pictures.

I'll try and find the web site for them and post it later. He told the class the guys he dealt with had about 50 pattern kits at this time; they are always adding more.

Dan

Hi

Here is a link to a FAQ that tells you how to post a link.

Frank

Hook&Hackle sells those 'Tie-a-Fly' kits

Tie-a-Fly and beginners tool kits(bottom of the page)

They're also a good place to pick up some tools
    Their EZ Rotary is supposed to be the best vice on the market, under 50 bucks
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Hi Rip Tide,

Thanks for that link. I wonder if you or anyone else has seen this vise. Looks like a lot of vise for the money.

bekiu002, here is a link to a review of the E-Z Vise.

Frank

E-Z ROTARY VISE

Full rotary, ultra fine jaws for tying size 4 to 20 hooks. Double ajustment on jaws to hold all hooks very tightly.

I saw a guy tying with one of the H&H vises. He had more expensive vises,
    but said it worked fine for him at tying demo's. I played with it for a minute,
    and it seems to do all that it should do.

I would buy a vise, and some quality tools. I tie a LOT, and have been using
    the same Dr. Slick scissors for at least 6 years. I have several pairs of scissors, but use one pair 99% of the time. I like Griffin for the rest of my
    tools: ceramic lined bobbin, hair stacker, whip finisher, and hackle pliers.
    Decide which flies you'd like to tie, and buy the materials that you'll need.
    If you like Wooly Buggers: $3 for a pack of marabou; $4 pack of bugger hackle; $1.50 for spool of non-lead lead; $1.50 for spool of 6/0 thread; $7
    for a 50 pack of hooks. I use marabou for the body on my buggers, but you
    can use a $1.50 pack of chenille if you'd like. Bead heads and bead chain
    eyes are optional, and only add another $2 to the cost of materials.

EDIT: I went on a I'm going to tie every pattern known to man buying spree a few years ago, but most of that material
    has never come out of its package. I tie 10 different patterns most of the time, with 3-4 patterns dominating that group by a large
    margin.

10. Default Re: Starter Setup

Check out Jann's NetcraftFly Tying Supplies and Tools. Their materials are decently priced, as are their tools. As for the Cabela's Standard, It'll do the job. Thats what I have/use. Bought it before I'd ever cast a fly rod, and it still works just fine. I've never had the need to get another vise, and I tie plenty, from Bass bugs to trout nymphs and everything in between. And I tie alot of flies. A note of caution though. I'd go to Janns and by a:
    1.Fly Tying Bobbin with Collar, Weighted fly tying bobbin
    2.ROTATING WHIP FINISHER
    Those provided in the kit aren't up to par
    Or you can get the same things from cabelas, and save on shipping. Smarter.
    I like organic chicken..... The kind with the capes still on 'em

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast